Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think you're probably right. I do think the Jets need another #2-3 C to go along with Little to be a real contender, but they'll probably have to find another way of acquiring that. I think they can start the season with different C configurations, and see how things develop. By the TDL, they should have a better idea of what they need.

SC contending teams use the TDL to acquire the 50% off missing pieces that are healthy and playing well.

I concur that I don’t think the Jets will plug that hole in the offseason (nor should they).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree, we are much further ahead than we were a year ago...but not there yet. KO will be asking for $8M for sure and--even if it is to make up for his current cheap contract, it compromises our cap situation...and that delay is on Trouba. The other issue is that of the GF, who will likely never be able to train or practice in Canada.
All in all, it's progress...

PS, ps, who is Simmons?

Larry Simmons is the assistant GM who moved from Atlanta and is the guy who does allot of work on contracts and the cap. He and Chevy fill that part of the equation. I don’t think it’s going to be easy with Jacob but there will be options if he wants to stay. Shorten the term to keep the Cap hit more reasonable...Bridge Josh to get close to the end of Buff’s deal. Move Myers and replace him with Poolman on the bottom pair. Not saying you do those things but there will be some options. I think it is very key to keep the big 3 (Buff, Trouba, Morrissey).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Really tough to sign Trouba, especially if the Jets need another #2 C (or to keep Stastny), unless they dump Kulikov, Myers and Perreault.

Here is a mock scenario for 2019/20 and beyond. Salaries are just indicative, but you can see that the Jets are going to be very tight, but could perhaps squeeze in a very good roster (especially at F) long-term if a few players are willing to take a bit of a discount.

Stastny and Wheeler worry me long-term. I think they have to sign Wheeler, but might forego the long-term hit for Stastny. The problem is that they are a bit thin at C in the next year or two, unless Roslovic can become a bona fide #2 C quite soon.

View attachment 121195
The problem here is you are forgetting the 3 players in the press box.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Back to Trouba. Still think 5 years at 6.25 to 6.5 million per is likely what I see him signing for.

If I take this at face value it doesn't surprise me given his general demeaor
And body language this season. He looks like a guy who has been having a lot of fun and is happy with his situation.
That would be my guess as well. Long term in Trouba's case will max at 5 years, and something at $6.5 seems fair. Overhart gets his client to UFA status at 29 y/o after a few cup runs.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
More like 5 x 7.25?.
36.25 + 6 = 42.25
42.25/7 = 6.036m average over 7 years.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don’t think Trouba signs for more than 5 years.

I’ll predict he signs for $34 mill over 5 years or $6.8 mill AAV. It’s a bit high for me, but that’s what I think the deal ends up being.

Then Morrissey gets $34 mill too, but over 6 years instead of 5. An AAV of $5.67 will look like a bargain a la Scheifele very quickly.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That would be my guess as well. Long term in Trouba's case will max at 5 years, and something at $6.5 seems fair. Overhart gets his client to UFA status at 29 y/o after a few cup runs.

Agreed. The comps where all by and large between 4 and 6 years. It makes sense if you look at it from the perspective of when the player gets to UFA. 5 years takes him to UFA after 10 accumulated pro seasons which would be inline with the number of accrued seasons he would have given up to become a UFA had he signed long term out of his ELC. Chef will be a UFA after 11 accrued pro seasons, Ehlers after 10 for Jet references. His cohorts on defense in Slavin, Lindholm, Riely and Jones are all between 7 and 10 years.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Most talk here seems to show a belief that he'll stay in Winnipeg for some UFA years. That's a real possibility but I won't discount the possibility the he pushes for a trade before UFA. It was only last season that he sat out.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Be such a dumb decision

Trouba is going to be looking for big big dollars. Trade him and his RFA rights for a solid D man and prospects/draft picks.
I'm not set on Stasny as much as I am set on trading Trouba for value and keeping some cap space open.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I think with so many good players Chevy will carry some power. It's not going to be pretty but there are several ways to go and if a player isn't willing to sign a fair contract I could see Chevy having to let a player or two go simply because a player isn't willing to sign a fair contract.
I'm old so maybe that's part of it but some of the numbers seem really high. Seems strange that some of these players mentioned are projected to be so high. I shake my head thinking how do you meet with Chevy and say I deserve more money than Schief does and keep a straight face.
Laine is my favourite player but I'm not sure he will ever become a player 1.5 times what Schief is for a 10 million dollar contract.
I'm sure glad I'm not Chevy some tough decisions ahead but a good time to be a Jets fan over the next few years.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Trouba is going to be looking for big big dollars. Trade him and his RFA rights for a solid D man and prospects/draft picks.
I'm not set on Stasny as much as I am set on trading Trouba for value and keeping some cap space open.
It is extremely difficult to find or draft a #1 RHD, if we let go of Trouba we are gonna have to pay for another one of his caliber, unless you are suggesting to downgrade , which is why I say dumb decision to save $1m. #1RHD>>>>>>>>>>#2C (aging to boot)
If you goal is to sign Stastny , then trade Perrault or Myers or even Little but don’t mess with the #1RHD.
Chevy has been quoted in the past that Chef and Troubs are the young core. I think He will lose a lot more before Trouba and I agree 1000%

Reactions: cneill4

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
It is extremely difficult to find or draft a #1 RHD, if we let go of Trouba we are gonna have to pay for another one of his caliber, unless you are suggesting to downgrade , which is why I say dumb decision to save $1m. #1RHD>>>>>>>>>>#2C (aging to boot)

I should have said, trade Trouba before his next temper tantrum holdout and get someone who the Jets can actually believe will stick around.

Sign Stasny in the off season with some cap space.

People have been quick to forget that only a year ago he wanted out of Winnipeg and was willing to sit out for the first couple months in an attempt to force the issue.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I should have said, trade Trouba before his next temper tantrum holdout and get someone who the Jets can actually believe will stick around.

Sign Stasny in the off season with some cap space.

People have been quick to forget that only a year ago he wanted out of Winnipeg and was willing to sit out for the first couple months in an attempt to force the issue.
That is where you are wrong, I would challenge you to find 1 quote of him saying he wanted out of Winnipeg.
He held out for right side defense as he felt ineffective on the left side hurting his value and minutes played, he has gotten both of those and now he wants to stay...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

This is fantastic news.

Really tough to sign Trouba, especially if the Jets need another #2 C (or to keep Stastny), unless they dump Kulikov, Myers and Perreault.

Here is a mock scenario for 2019/20 and beyond. Salaries are just indicative, but you can see that the Jets are going to be very tight, but could perhaps squeeze in a very good roster (especially at F) long-term if a few players are willing to take a bit of a discount.

Stastny and Wheeler worry me long-term. I think they have to sign Wheeler, but might forego the long-term hit for Stastny. The problem is that they are a bit thin at C in the next year or two, unless Roslovic can become a bona fide #2 C quite soon.

View attachment 121195

For better or for worse, the Jets have already allocated that #2C dollars to Little. One simply cannot let your #1 d-man go to sign another C. Jets will have to make it work with whatever dollars that are left after signing Trouba. Signing Trouba is not optional, it's a necessity.

Jets need to free up cap dollars next season by moving Mason, Myers and Kulikov. Myers would be very easy to move considering his year but Mason/Kulikov might not be easy contracts to move at this point.

Back to Trouba. Still think 5 years at 6.25 to 6.5 million per is likely what I see him signing for.

If I take this at face value it doesn't surprise me given his general demeaor
And body language this season. He looks like a guy who has been having a lot of fun and is happy with his situation.

I am willing to go up to Buff numbers for Trouba for 7-8 year deal.

Reactions: Evil Little

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

And what "solid d-man" do you think is available that can help a contending team like the Jets like Trouba can? I am more interested in using that cap-space to help us contend in the next few years than I am to "keep cap space open". You don't move a guy like Trouba (or Morrissey) to free up cap space. Myers, Chiarot, Kulikov, Little, Perreault are the level of players that you move to free up cap- solid contributors but not core pieces.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
And what "solid d-man" do you think is available that can help a contending team like the Jets like Trouba can? I am more interested in using that cap-space to help us contend in the next few years than I am to "keep cap space open". You don't move a guy like Trouba (or Morrissey) to free up cap space. Myers, Chiarot, Kulikov, Little, Perreault are the level of players that you move to free up cap- solid contributors but not core pieces.
Agreed its comical that people bring up players like trouba and buff to move for cap space... Make the playoffs one year and trade all of our best players for cap room !

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jeff Hamilton of the Winnipeg Free Press says Trouba's asking price will be around $8 million per season.

He can ask anything. Doesn't mean he will get it. If that's what it takes then I'm with Gnova. Trade Trouba, sign Stastny.

Reactions: boyko10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Part of his rationale is that the last 2 years of his bridge deal were huge bargains, and that he'd likely get that on the open market.

Sorry. Doesn't add up. Maybe he would get that on the open market - 2 years from now when he has earned access to the open market.

His bridge deal was at the high end for bridge deals - and that is what he chose.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
People forget that the Hawks unloaded a good chunk of their core in the offseason to ‘save cap space’ aaaand look what happened to them. You dont get rid of core pieces to save cap people. You wanna know how you replace valuable assets without screwing yourselves? Draft and develop! And by the looks of it we seem to be good with drafting and developing players!

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This is good news. When the team starts competing, that's like a fish bait for the players. Still somewhat baffled that he changed his mind even considering that the Jets finally became a team worthy of not being taken lightly.

Trouba is a very good defenceman in my opinion, but I'm not sold on him ever being a true #1D. Not anymore than I'm sold about Buff being one (no matter how many goals/points he has scored in the playoffs). Could he become one? Maybe. At least I think his numbers (points) are pretty good for a defenceman who isn't playing in the top powerplay unit. He's been scoring on a near 0,5 ppg pace the past seasons. Still, if the team gives him a paycheck equal or higher to 8m, signs him long term and he fails up to meet up with the expectations, then that could do some heavy damage cause no one would want to touch him and pay that kind of money. I think he's worth of what he is getting right now and in the future even a bit more, maybe 6,5-7m/year.

He doesn't seem like a guy who's willing to take any hometown discounts though. Of course having a greedy agent doesn't help out. If signed with a high price tag, then some players will just have to go and I guess even Wheelers isn't in the save harbor, let alone Buff. As much as Wheelers is helping the team now, you can't but help to wonder how many good years he has left in the tank, cause his game is mostly relying on the speed. I would guess maybe 2 or 3, max 4. He will be looking for a retirement contract I'm guessing and with all the youngsters coming up the ranks, it just seems quite impossible to keep the core intact. Perhaps they should start cutting the vets in order to assure that the team stays competitive moving forward. Loyalty is a great trait, but it doesn't buy you the Cup(s). After Little, another mistake could be fatal. Of course I'd love if Stastny stayed, cause if the alternative is seeing another year of ELL, that'd be like hitting kicking a stone wall with barefoot. Still, how can you fit him when you've already signed a 3rd line C with a contract equal to 2nd line C. Would teams be interested about Little with the salary tag? Doubt it. So it doesn't make sense. Here's to hoping Roslovic will turn out as the much needed plug.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Scratch Little off that list. NMC.

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm leaning towards trading Myers now.
I’m ok with Myers although I would rather move Perrault have Roslo take his spot. Maybe both as we could replace both with a slight downgrade and look for a 2c. Need a draft pick in there though cause we will need to restock in a couple years as anoth expansion draft we will lose someone important

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I’m ok with Myers although I would rather move Perrault have Roslo take his spot. Maybe both as we could replace both with a slight downgrade and look for a 2c. Need a draft pick in there though cause we will need to restock in a couple years as anoth expansion draft we will lose someone important
still should have cup runs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad