Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I will gladly cross the bridge of whether to trade Buff or Myers if that means Trouba is a Jet long term.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Troubs is going to sign long term for to leave this team would be by his own hand committing career suicide by missing out on what is about to come to fruition playing with his own friends on his Winnipeg Jets Team for years to come...

Only a fool would do that and Troubs is no fool...

For we all know he wouldn't pull that crazy...

Ladd selfish "me first" foolish mistake...

Troubs has a heart...

Troubs wants to win The Stanley Cup as many times as possible first and foremost...

That takes a Player Team Deal that works for Troubs and everyone else involved playing on his team...

If you don't believe me ask McDavid and his $13.25 million hit on a $75 million cap would be 17.6 percent of it. If the cap rises by four percent ($78 million) next season, it would be 16.99 percent deal, great for McDavid but not for any of his current or future teammates who's going to have to accept less pay and McDavid has to accept less skillful players playing with him and where does McDavids chances of ever winning the Stanley Cup chances are now?

Win, Win, Situations are the best for Troubs and his friends, his current and future teammates careers winning Stanley Cups...

Troubs will make more side money winning Stanley Cups than not, his agent knows that Over and Out... :sarcasm:

I believe...

Go Jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ladd selfish "me first" foolish mistake...

The man played through a hernia for the 2nd half of his season and play off run and he is selfish? Sad. Wanting to get paid esp on a team that was spending no way near the cap is not "being selfish".

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
The man played through a hernia for the 2nd half of his season and play off run and he is selfish? Sad. Wanting to get paid esp on a team that was spending no way near the cap is not "being selfish".

Yeah about those playoffs games do you remember when Ladd took a stupid penalty with his stick over I think the Ducks Captain head after a whistle and Wheeler and Little made the player Ladd was btw....

Lastly our Winnipeg Jets aka Chevy stuck to his guns with Ladd and I am over the moon Ladd never resigned here...

Also Playing with a hernia ahhhh poor guy I worked almost three year's with a bad knee and another tech at work worked 2 years with a hernia no bleeding hearts or golden stars here and no millionaire hockey players either....

Look its Lee Stempniak....

I'm bad, just a squirrel....:sarcasm:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Considering that Ladd is at best a 45 point scorer, and getting older -- the best thing Chevy did was to -- "let him walk" and invest the money in our young guys like Ehlers.

I would have only paid Ladd around $ 3.5 mil per year -- that's all he's worth IMO.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yeah about those playoffs games do you remember when Ladd took a stupid penalty with his stick over I think the Ducks Captain head after a whistle and Wheeler and Little made the player Ladd was btw....

Lastly our Winnipeg Jets aka Chevy stuck to his guns with Ladd and I am over the moon Ladd never resigned here...

Also Playing with a hernia ahhhh poor guy I worked almost three year's with a bad knee and another tech at work worked 2 years with a hernia no bleeding hearts or golden stars here and no millionaire hockey players either....

Look its Lee Stempniak....

I'm bad, just a squirrel....:sarcasm:

pffttt
You guys play in front of the net in the NHL?

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
pffttt
You guys play in front of the net in the NHL?

Pfft... No...

We drill into live 2" to 102" running pipelines up to 1480 PSIG product could be NG, Oil, Hydrogen ect... and then we stop them with or without a bypass so they don't have to shut down and are able to repair the issue...

Double Block and Bleed...

We inspect pipelines so they are repaired before there is an issue and you wouldn't believe the 100 + millions being spent just in North America every year..

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Come on guys, Ladd was a great ambassdor for this team both on and off the ice. He gave us a number of great years at a very reasonable rate.

It was his right to chase the bucks just as it was management's to draw a line in the sand. I'm glad Chevy stuck to his guns as it looks like the Her is has really impacted Ladds game. Still I'll never say a bad thing about the guy as he represented the city and team well.

On the topic of Trouba, looks like he has his game back on track at a high level. You lock him and Morrissey up long term this summer. They are not only the future but the present. It also looks like Moe has finaly got the Memo ae both are routiney the ice ime leaders on this team now. It lso seems that Moe has take more of a hard line stance with Buff these days.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Come on guys, Ladd was a great ambassdor for this team both on and off the ice. He gave us a number of great years at a very reasonable rate.

It was his right to chase the bucks just as it was management's to draw a line in the sand. I'm glad Chevy stuck to his guns as it looks like the Her is has really impacted Ladds game. Still I'll never say a bad thing about the guy as he represented the city and team well.

On the topic of Trouba, looks like he has his game back on track at a high level. You lock him and Morrissey up long term this summer. They are not only the future but the present. It also looks like Moe has finaly got the Memo ae both are routiney the ice ime leaders on this team now. It lso seems that Moe has take more of a hard line stance with Buff these days.

You are absolutely right!

From their Album Coming of Age, hmmmm...

Possible Theme Song for our Winnipeg Jets?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I think it's fair to say the "no resigning" of Ladd worked out great for both parties. The Jet's didn't get into a bad expensive contract , and Ladd got the big bucs somewhere else. Just a win win situation for both parties.

We should send all our pre-retirement, and overbucked $ contracts out to New York - they have the money, and love to overpay these guys !!! :cool:

Last edited:

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Now this gets interesting. Borrowing from a discussion on another site, is this not the time to push hard for a long term extension for Trouba. If Overhardt is not willing to negotiate in good faith, you have a Kane situation where a tanking team would take an injured player they could then add to their full time roster next year. First priority is obviously to sign him, but there are several teams that are surely looking for next year:

Vancouver
Edmonton (no way he signs there, if he won't sign in Winnipeg)
Montreal
Ottawa (same as Edmonton)
Carolina
Arizona
Detroit
Florida (easiest place to get him to sign, I bet)

Can definitely eliminate Edmonton and Ottawa from Trouba's side. Detroit is also likely out for cap reasons (only 15 players signed for next year...a lot of RFA's due for raises...and only $12 of unused room). Montreal doesn't have a remotely serviceable UFA RHD, or one that expires next year, if you think you have a real two-year window with Wheeler on his current deal). Everyone else has plenty of room, especially if the Sedin's don't stay with Vancouver in any capacity. I'm not great at building these, but is anything here of interest:

Vancouver (currently 4th OA):
2019 1st (they're already down their 2018 3rd rounder...can't see them wanting to give up the 1st as well)
Gudbranson (yuck, but he's the only serviceable UFA RHD)
Brassard (Gawd, they have terrible D-prospects)

Carolina (currently 9th OA):
2018 1st (top 6 protected; reverts to top 3 protected 2019 1st; reverts to 2020 1st)
Falk (two years after this one...contract less than Trouba's would be)
Rasanen

Florida (currently 5th OA):
2018 1st (top 3 protected; reverts to 2019 1st)
Petrovic (RFA) or Pysyk (2 years after this)
Gilden

Bufflao (currently 2nd OA):
2018 1st (top 1 protected)
Budik?
Also an ugly looking depth chart on D...not sure we really want a part of this at all; or if Botterill would be willing to move that high a pick

Arizona (currently 1st OA; at the contract limit)
2019 3rd rounder
Schenn (Hjalmarsson has a 10-team no move)
Joseph or Dineen

Am I in the ballpark on any of these?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Now this gets interesting. Borrowing from a discussion on another site, is this not the time to push hard for a long term extension for Trouba. If Overhardt is not willing to negotiate in good faith, you have a Kane situation where a tanking team would take an injured player they could then add to their full time roster next year. First priority is obviously to sign him, but there are several teams that are surely looking for next year:

Vancouver
Edmonton (no way he signs there, if he won't sign in Winnipeg)
Montreal
Ottawa (same as Edmonton)
Carolina
Arizona
Detroit
Florida (easiest place to get him to sign, I bet)

Can definitely eliminate Edmonton and Ottawa from Trouba's side. Detroit is also likely out for cap reasons (only 15 players signed for next year...a lot of RFA's due for raises...and only $12 of unused room). Montreal doesn't have a remotely serviceable UFA RHD, or one that expires next year, if you think you have a real two-year window with Wheeler on his current deal). Everyone else has plenty of room, especially if the Sedin's don't stay with Vancouver in any capacity. I'm not great at building these, but is anything here of interest:

Vancouver (currently 4th OA):
2019 1st (they're already down their 2018 3rd rounder...can't see them wanting to give up the 1st as well)
Gudbranson (yuck, but he's the only serviceable UFA RHD)
Brassard (Gawd, they have terrible D-prospects)

Carolina (currently 9th OA):
2018 1st (top 6 protected; reverts to top 3 protected 2019 1st; reverts to 2020 1st)
Falk (two years after this one...contract less than Trouba's would be)
Rasanen

Florida (currently 5th OA):
2018 1st (top 3 protected; reverts to 2019 1st)
Petrovic (RFA) or Pysyk (2 years after this)
Gilden

Bufflao (currently 2nd OA):
2018 1st (top 1 protected)
Budik?
Also an ugly looking depth chart on D...not sure we really want a part of this at all; or if Botterill would be willing to move that high a pick

Arizona (currently 1st OA; at the contract limit)
2019 3rd rounder
Schenn (Hjalmarsson has a 10-team no move)
Joseph or Dineen

Am I in the ballpark on any of these?

The Trouba camp has said they don't want to negotiate during the season.

Trouba has Arb rights and will most likely file for arb. This generally gives him a bit more leverage in negotiations

Given that the Jets are turning into a contender I don't see any way that Trouba gets traded this season.

If Trouba is traded it will likely be after arbitration season. I don't see another team acquiring the Overhardt headache. Once the Jets have Trouba signed (likely long termthen they have much more ability to trade him to any team in the league if he's no longer in their plans.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
The Trouba camp has said they don't want to negotiate during the season.

Trouba has Arb rights and will most likely file for arb. This generally gives him a bit more leverage in negotiations

Given that the Jets are turning into a contender I don't see any way that Trouba gets traded this season.

If Trouba is traded it will likely be after arbitration season. I don't see another team acquiring the Overhardt headache. Once the Jets have Trouba signed (likely long termthen they have much more ability to trade him to any team in the league if he's no longer in their plans.
If I understand you correctly, I think you are confusing two different possibilities here. If Trouba files for, and gets, a two year arbitration award, his value as a trade piece will be significantly lessened. His trade value is entirely wrapped up in the potential of the acquiring team to have his services for the next eight years. His value is high now and will continue to be until he signs a two-year deal, at which point he becomes little more than a glorified rental on the trade market.

I also wonder if the prohibition against negotiating during the season might be lifted now that he has 6-8 weeks to twiddle his thumbs. Ultimately, the Jets may decide that they need a serviceable RHD for the remainder of this season and that they have no interest in the Overhardt headache either.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If I understand you correctly, I think you are confusing two different possibilities here. If Trouba files for, and gets, a two year arbitration award, his value as a trade piece will be significantly lessened. His trade value is entirely wrapped up in the potential of the acquiring team to have his services for the next eight years. His value is high now and will continue to be until he signs a two-year deal, at which point he becomes little more than a glorified rental on the trade market.

I also wonder if the prohibition against negotiating during the season might be lifted now that he has 6-8 weeks to twiddle his thumbs. Ultimately, the Jets may decide that they need a serviceable RHD for the remainder of this season and that they have no interest in the Overhardt headache either.

You realize the party that doesn't file gets to choose one or two years right? Why on earth would the Jets choose a two year award exactly? That would be pretty idiotic no? If the Jets file for arbitration Trouba could and likely would elect two years. If Trouba files and goes through the process the award would be a 1 yr contract IMO

You seem to be ignoring Overhardts past. I don't expect a change in strategy now

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Count me in the camp that wants to see Trouba locked up long term, but I just don't see how he has a case for that.
Part of his rationale is that the last 2 years of his bridge deal were huge bargains, and that he'd likely get that on the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad