Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

YoyiBear

Mar 12, 2018
Jeff Hamilton of the Winnipeg Free Press says Trouba's asking price will be around $8 million per season.
His uninformed opinion, unless he had access to trouba, agent or chevy. $$ will depend on length. My guess it will be however long his fiance will be in med school.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Part of his rationale is that the last 2 years of his bridge deal were huge bargains, and that he'd likely get that on the open market.

IMO, the previous contact being a bargain or not has no bearing on the next one. It's about RFA/UFA years and comparables. Trouba has been great for us, and having him and Morrissey as the top pair for years would be great. But his numbers aren't there for 8 million a season IMO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really tough to sign Trouba, especially if the Jets need another #2 C (or to keep Stastny), unless they dump Kulikov, Myers and Perreault.

Here is a mock scenario for 2019/20 and beyond. Salaries are just indicative, but you can see that the Jets are going to be very tight, but could perhaps squeeze in a very good roster (especially at F) long-term if a few players are willing to take a bit of a discount.

Stastny and Wheeler worry me long-term. I think they have to sign Wheeler, but might forego the long-term hit for Stastny. The problem is that they are a bit thin at C in the next year or two, unless Roslovic can become a bona fide #2 C quite soon.

Jets 2019 Roster and Cap v2 long-term.png

Attachments

• Jets 2019 Roster and Cap v2.png
    Jets 2019 Roster and Cap v2.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Oseductive

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Really tough to sign Trouba, especially if the Jets need another #2 C (or to keep Stastny), unless they dump Kulikov, Myers and Perreault.

Here is a mock scenario for 2019/20 and beyond. Salaries are just indicative, but you can see that the Jets are going to be very tight, but could perhaps squeeze in a very good roster (especially at F) long-term if a few players are willing to take a bit of a discount.

Stastny and Wheeler worry me long-term. I think they have to sign Wheeler, but might forego the long-term hit for Stastny. The problem is that they are a bit thin at C in the next year or two, unless Roslovic can become a bona fide #2 C quite soon.

View attachment 121195
Interesting and thanks for doing this. Not sure I want Wheeler under contract until he's 41 years old though! lol

Stastny would be 38-39 as well and the end of his contract.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

View attachment 121195

No way am I at all Interested in those deals to Wheeler and Stastny. No more than 3 years for Wheeler, he doesn't want it then you trade him. I want no part in Statsney at 6 million. One hot playoffs here doesn't change the fact that he is older and not all that fast. He will be a boat anchor 2 seasons in imo.

In the new NHL you can't handcuff yourself with multiple big dollar deals to 30 plus year old players.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No way am I at all Interested in those deals to Wheeler and Stastny. No more than 3 years for Wheeler, he doesn't want it then you trade him. I want no part in Statsney at 6 million. One hot playoffs here doesn't change the fact that he is older and not all that fast. He will be a boat anchor 2 seasons in imo.

In the new NHL you can't handcuff yourself with multiple big dollar deals to 30 plus year old players.

Agreed. Unfortunately it's all but guaranteed we'll sign Wheeler to too long of a term contract, management just loves the guy. I'll have to look in depth at our cap situation, but based on a cursory glance at Whileee's post we're really in pretty good shape all things considered.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
IMO, the previous contact being a bargain or not has no bearing on the next one. It's about RFA/UFA years and comparables. Trouba has been great for us, and having him and Morrissey as the top pair for years would be great. But his numbers aren't there for 8 million a season IMO.

Kinda the same point. We ate up two cheap RFA years. Accordingly, his AAV for his next contract will be higher compared to what it would have been if he signed like ng-term two years ago just because of the different mix of RFA/UFA years.

Agreed that $8M is too high. Maybe 6.75M AAV is the right number depending on length?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Part of his rationale is that the last 2 years of his bridge deal were huge bargains, and that he'd likely get that on the open market.

I don't know how he could use that rationale. He could have had a big-money long-term deal last time around but wouldn't even listen to an offer from the Jets. The so-called bargain of his last deal was his own doing. He shouldn't be blaming the Jets for that.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Kinda the same point. We ate up two cheap RFA years. Accordingly, his AAV for his next contract will be higher compared to what it would have been if he signed like ng-term two years ago just because of the different mix of RFA/UFA years.

Agreed that $8M is too high. Maybe 6.75M AAV is the right number depending on length?

Depends how one interprets his statement I guess. Getting some cheap RFA years meaning that the next deal will be more expensive due to probably including UFA years? Yup, I am down with that.

What I don't agree with is a sentiment that a player was underpaid on a deal (RFA or UFA) so their next contract should somehow retroactively reflect that underpayment and get more than market value to compensate.

I'm not sure which idea Hamilton is referring to. IMO I agree with the 1st usage, disagree with the 2nd.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. Unfortunately it's all but guaranteed we'll sign Wheeler to too long of a term contract, management just loves the guy. I'll have to look in depth at our cap situation, but based on a cursory glance at Whileee's post we're really in pretty good shape all things considered.

I'm not so sure about that. Chevy hasn't gone crazy with any of his other prized vets outside of maybe Stuart.

Chevy loves and raves constantly about Buff, didn't stop him from negotiating a fair team friendly deal that expires when he's 36.

The rumored Ladd deal 6x6 would have takeb him to 37.

I can't see Chevy suddenly signing an aging player until his late 30's. He's to smart a GM for it and there is nothing in his track record to indicate he'll do it.

Reactions: GNP

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016

View attachment 121195
I don’t think there is any intention to re-up Stastny

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Back to Trouba. Still think 5 years at 6.25 to 6.5 million per is likely what I see him signing for.

If I take this at face value it doesn't surprise me given his general demeaor
And body language this season. He looks like a guy who has been having a lot of fun and is happy with his situation.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
If there is it is likely to a Jokinen type deal. Short term at mid range dollars.
No way Stastny signs a Jet friendly deal, we have to many kids to sign the year after next...
Trouba will be something like 8yr X 7mill

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No way Stastny signs a Jet friendly deal, we have to many kids to sign the year after next...
Trouba will be something like 8yr X 7mill

If he doesn't he's gone imo. The Jets won't tie up Stastny for a long time while they still have Little on the books.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Depends how one interprets his statement I guess. Getting some cheap RFA years meaning that the next deal will be more expensive due to probably including UFA years? Yup, I am down with that.

What I don't agree with is a sentiment that a player was underpaid on a deal (RFA or UFA) so their next contract should somehow retroactively reflect that underpayment and get more than market value to compensate.

I'm not sure which idea Hamilton is referring to. IMO I agree with the 1st usage, disagree with the 2nd.

While I think both are trying to say the same thing, the way you express it is more precise and not subject to misinterpretation. :)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don’t think there is any intention to re-up Stastny
I think you're probably right. I do think the Jets need another #2-3 C to go along with Little to be a real contender, but they'll probably have to find another way of acquiring that. I think they can start the season with different C configurations, and see how things develop. By the TDL, they should have a better idea of what they need.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you're probably right. I do think the Jets need another #2-3 C to go along with Little to be a real contender, but they'll probably have to find another way of acquiring that. I think they can start the season with different C configurations, and see how things develop. By the TDL, they should have a better idea of what they need.

I would be trialing Roslovic in the sheltered offensive C role next season. He now has enough experience in the NHL to allow him to grow in the role. That is the easiest potential solution, if he hasn't grown into the role by the deadline you can bring help in.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Let’s see how Roslo develops

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As long at Toth has a decent source (big "if") and their is a will for Jacob to stay that is a very VERY big hurdle. Now they need to settle on a deal that works for both sides and of coarse that could be a stumbling block but Chevy and Simmons seem like guys that are capable of making it happen.

Remember when Jacob was pissed off he was jammed up on a shitty team anchored to Mark Stewart in a city that had traded his buddy. The situation looked a little bleak. Fast forward to today and he is playing on the top pair with an elite NHL D partner in the conference finals of the NHL playoffs on a team that looks like they will be contending for the next 5-7 years. Those are lots of reasons to have some sober second thought about leaving.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
As long at Toth has a decent source (big "if") and their is a will for Jacob to stay that is a very VERY big hurdle. Now they need to settle on a deal that works for both sides and of coarse that could be a stumbling block but Chevy and Simmons seem like guys that are capable of making it happen.

Remember when Jacob was pissed off he was jammed up on a ****ty team anchored to Mark Stewart in a city that had traded his buddy. The situation looked a little bleak. Fast forward to today and he is playing on the top pair with an elite NHL D partner in the conference finals of the NHL playoffs on a team that looks like they will be contending for the next 5-7 years. Those are lots of reasons to have some sober second thought about leaving.
Agree, we are much further ahead than we were a year ago...but not there yet. KO will be asking for $8M for sure and--even if it is to make up for his current cheap contract, it compromises our cap situation...and that delay is on Trouba. The other issue is that of the GF, who will likely never be able to train or practice in Canada.
All in all, it's progress...

PS, ps, who is Simmons?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad