Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you really think that Armia and Tanev will be asking for too much? I expect them to accept very affordable contracts.

Tanev I doubt gets more than 1 million per over a couple of years. I have no clue on Armia, his counting stats might indicate 2.5 to 3 million. We will have to see.

Daisy Jetsfoeva

Mar 28, 2018
I assume you are saying it's a distraction on here? I'm pretty sure what's going on here with us is not a distraction to the team!
Not a distraction on here - this is fine. I just hope it doesn’t become a big thing when there’s lots of work left to do playoffs wise.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tanev I doubt gets more than 1 million per over a couple of years. I have no clue on Armia, his counting stats might indicate 2.5 to 3 million. We will have to see.

I figure Armia for about 2 mil, maybe a little more. Not enough to want to move him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Guys we are getting off topic.
I figure Armia for about 2 mil, maybe a little more. Not enough to want to move him.
If someone offered an overpayment for him just like Trouba I would consider it. For instance if someone offered a first round pick, or he was the cherry on top of a deal for getting us that 2c.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I have no prob letting a top guy go for a kings random.. Trying to sign to many guy for over payments is a great way to become the EDM Oilers.

Example trading Laine would be like a lindros trade.

We all know how that turned out.

Edit.. 1st post ever using a Android phone and auto correct is bending me over...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Guys we are getting off topic.

If someone offered an overpayment for him just like Trouba I would consider it. For instance if someone offered a first round pick, or he was the cherry on top of a deal for getting us that 2c.

Anybody can be traded for the right price.
I see the danger of getting OT. :laugh:
But we are discussing how we can pay Trouba and manage the cap. Someone suggested we might move Armia to help make room. I think we keep him to help make room. He is a good player and will remain to be cheap, IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Maybe he is taking a career step and has acquired some inside source - but I don't recall him ever breaking anything before. Maybe KO dropped a dime?

Edit: Oh wait. Can I still say that? :laugh: If it is out of date, I mean maybe he gave Toth a call, or a text.

Dropped a dime works perfect for me :laugh:.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
It isn't about saving 1 mil. It is about being unable to give every player an extra mil. Therefore you set an upper limit somewhere and pretty much stick to it. Maybe not too rigidly, but close to that limit.

I don't think it is unreasonable for Trouba/KO to start at 8 mil. But if they stick hard to that number you have to proceed accordingly.

IMO, 7 mil is already a bit high for Trouba, so 8 is too high.

It wasn't 'trade Trouba in order to sign Stastny'. It was that trading Trouba opens up some cap space making signing Stastny one possibility. You have to weigh both the benefits of the cap saving and the return vs keeping him at too high a salary.
If you want a legit #1 RHD you need to pay him, if your willing to only spend X amount of dollars you won’t get that caliber of player. So the question is do you want a stud def or no?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
7mil. That's almost as much as Buff and Buff is the complete package. Physically imposing, scores goals on the pp and even strength, plays with an edge. All Things that Trouba right now is not. I would aim more for 6.5-6.75.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If he is an 8 mil player you pay him 8. If he is a 6.5 player you don't pay him 8.

Well said Mort -- has Trouba proved in this series or last, that he's an imposing dominant defenseman ? --That is Buff territory, and he's no match for Buff, who's worth what he's paid. Can score, be physical, great skater, and can do "all."

What Trouba is--is a "upper middle" solid defensemen that should be remunerated as such. He's not controlling the play or showing any kind of dominance.. I think Morrissey is playing better this series than Jacob.

With this in mind-- I think he's worth in the $ 6 to $ 6.5 range, and that's what I believe Chevy will want him at. If he wants $ 7.5 to 8 mil--I don't think Chevy will accomodate that --he's not the type of GM that will be romanced by all the hype around Trouba. This was evident in how the Ladd situation was dealt with. He would like to sign him -- but only for what he believes he's worth. This may have to go to arbitration -we'll see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad