Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
You're definitely missing a few contextual parts of re-signing Trouba:

1. UFA years cost much more - Scheifele signed long term immediately after his ELC, so we're only paying for 5 or so years of his UFA years. Trouba long term would be nearly all UFA therefore, his pay will be relatively higher.
2. Scheifele's deal is an absolute steal. Any time you talk about signing Trouba, don't even bother thinking of Scheifele's deal. If we were to sign Scheifele today, do you really think he would accept 6.125M cap hit? His market value is probably 4M higher than that, so saying Trouba's set to get paid around 7M which is 3M less than a Scheifele level player isn't crazy.

I guess the moral of the story here is this thread has nothing to do with Scheifele and he shouldn't be brought up because he's in no way comparable to the Trouba situation.

Also, we would have to sign someone to a 14M deal to be in the realm of Chicago's salary situation. This argument doesn't hold water.

PS. Myers is not as good as Trouba. Opinions can be wrong, and saying Myers is better is wrong. "In my opinion, the earth is flat" is an example of a wrong opinion.
Honestly I feel Schiefele is way overrated playing with Wheeler any centre would score like he does. He is a shoot first centreman who scores almost entirely from the slot or on the off side on the power play.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If they offered Ehlers a contract at about $ 6 mil over 5 years, you can bet they offered the same to Trouba, and he turned it down.

It;s my opinion, as well as other's on here, he's not worth much more than $ 6 mil, so the question is -- "how much is Trouba worth"

If he's unreasonale, trade him for a guy like Segachev in Tampa.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Honestly I feel Schiefele is way overrated playing with Wheeler any centre would score like he does. He is a shoot first centreman who scores almost entirely from the slot or on the off side on the power play.

Are you serious? No other center has come close to being an over ppg player like Scheif is while playing with Wheeler. Also Scheifele spent a large chunk of last season not playing on the same line as Wheeler and did just as well.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If they offered Ehlers a contract at about $ 6 mil over 5 years, you can bet they offered the same to Trouba, and he turned it down.

Ehlers was 7 x $6M. Those two years have a huge impact on AAV for a player coming of his ELC. UFA years get paid more than RFA years. Ehlers has 3 UFA years in his extension and would have only had 1 in a 5 year deal. No way he would get offered a 5 year contract like that and neither would Trouba.

It was widely reported that Overhardt would not even allow Chevy to make a long term offer during his hold out off season. So no, for many reasons I disagree strongly that the Jets made the offer you suggest. And I disagree that he turned it down. It was never made to turn down IMO

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Also Scheifele spent a large chunk of last season not playing on the same line as Wheeler and did just as well.

Actually not "just as well" but "even much better" (5-on-5).

Scheifele is just great, there is absolutely no doubt of it.

Back on topic, about Trouba. That head hunt on Barkov was stupid and nasty. Trouba should be penalized for that. He is usually playing nice, but occasionally these brainfarts seems to be happening for Trouba like in last season.

There was one guy in FEL that had to end his career after a brain damage taken for very similar almost "innocent" looking hit as the one by Trouba last night.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Are you serious? He scored just as much, if not more last season with a rookie instead of Wheeler

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Do yo think if the jets offered 6.5mx6 years trouba would bite?

No, I don't think he would.
You are paying for two years of RFA and the rest as an UFA.

I truly believe the numbers are irrelevant. Having said that, Jacob Trouba will undoubtedly receive fair market value. However, even if your mentioned RFA years were paid at $5.5M x 2 years; that would leave those remaining years you listed (4 yrs.) at $7M each.

In my opinion, the issues as it pertains to dollars, will revolve around how much culpability the 'Trouba Camp' is willing to accept as an unnecessary risk; on his long term contract prior to last season (the Bridge Deal). Kurt Overhardt will want a 'top-up' on the low two year deal Jacob is coming out of; and TNSE may well offer to mitigate some of that loss if it ever came to that. Time will tell.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
that an overpayment. why would they offer him so much. it appears his bet on himself isn't going to pay off.

Well said - and I couldn't agree more, as Trouba is only playing "average" this year, and I think Morrisey is playing better. Does that mean Trouba should get more than Morrisey ??- I don't think so.

Trouba has been playing better lately and to get the $ 7- 7.5 mil he wants, is very questionable to me ??? With Chevy being the conservative GM he is, and a guy that doesn't throw away money-- he'll be very "uncomfortable" going over $ 6 mil on Trouba. The only way Chevy would-- is to compensate Jacob for his low bridge deal. I could then see him signing for more than he'd normally get.

Trouba is not worth more than Buff, Morrisey or Myers IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Back on topic, about Trouba. That head hunt on Barkov was stupid and nasty. Trouba should be penalized for that. He is usually playing nice, but occasionally these brainfarts seems to be happening for Trouba like in last season.

There was one guy in FEL that had to end his career after a brain damage taken for very similar almost "innocent" looking hit as the one by Trouba last night.

Hmmmm I missed the Barkov hit completely.
I knew he left the game but the broadcast didn't really seem to cover this much.
Or perhaps my fiance was distracting me with questions at that point?

Is their a clip or GIF of the hit?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Trouba will make more than Myers, as he should.

Buff money may not be in the cards, at least not from the Jets.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
emergence of morrissey this year and another expansion draft in the near future has probably made trouba expendable this year. i expect he is traded this off season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
emergence of morrissey this year and another expansion draft in the near future has probably made trouba expendable this year. i expect he is traded this off season.
Not necessarily so. After all, Trouba is still logging a lot of hard minutes every night. We would be in a world of trouble without him.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Not necessarily so. After all, Trouba is still logging a lot of hard minutes every night. We would be in a world of trouble without him.
can't keep everyone. i think morrissey has passed trouba on the depth chart.

i speculate that the jets seem to have a rule about term and price for RFA players. i think they expect star players to sign at around $6 million (scheif has set the bar - pending Laine who was a #2 pick and expected superstar). can't have trouba making more (and seems trouba expects more) or it could upset the boat. jets are going to be a powerhouse with several A-grade stars on board.

morrissey is the key to signing long term at this point. they really should have signed morrissey last summer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
can't keep everyone. i think morrissey has passed trouba on the depth chart.

i speculate that the jets seem to have a rule about term and price for RFA players. i think they expect star players to sign at around $6 million (scheif has set the bar - pending Laine who was a #2 pick and expected superstar). can't have trouba making more (and seems trouba expects more) or it could upset the boat. jets are going to be a powerhouse with several A-grade stars on board.

morrissey is the key to signing long term at this point. they really should have signed morrissey last summer.

While you can't keep everyone even with Morrissey's emergence it would be foolish to think it makes another legit top pairing dmen expendable especially when they play well together.

You look to move out expensive depth pieces first. I'm looking at Myers myself. He makes a lot of money for an ok number 4 dmen. You move him out and replace him with Poolman imo in order to save cap space. Toby gets replaced with a cheaper third pairing option and just like that you have saved 9 million in cap space to ink JoMo and Trouba long term.

It is way too soon to worry about the expansion draft when planning future moves.

Also the market rate for Morrissey is pretty set. He's not getting more than 5.4 per year for a 7 year term based on his closest comparable players in Lindholm and Slaven who got 5.3 and 5.4 respectively. Trouba is another story.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@Halberdier

From this one angle that doesn't look anything like previous bad hits that Trouba has made. Looks like the shoulder contacts the shoulder. Kind of innocent looking for a play that knocked a player out of a game.

Maybe another angle reveals a different point of contact?

Looks fairly routine. Is Barkov made of glass? Perhaps the injury occurred earlier and he should not have been on the ice?

Reactions: Huffer and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Enstrom on his way out.....an aging Buff.......fragile Franky Myers going into the last year of his contract next season if he can stay healthy? There is no way Trouba has become more expendable. Now he may get moved but it won't be because Morrissey is getting better and we are overflowing with D talent at this point IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad