Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Looks fairly routine. Is Barkov made of glass? Perhaps the injury occurred earlier and he should not have been on the ice?

Yea that hit looks really harmless? Wonder if it aggravated a preexisting issue?

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Not sure how entirely credible Peter Tessier from Hockeybuzz is.... But it's rumored that he still wants out.... With an aging Buff... Myers what he is.... Have to wonder if they look for a RHD in return instead of LHD... unless they feel Poolman is a top 4 D...

Should be interesting

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jere's some comments by Trouba from Detroit when the Jets were there...

Because of last season’s high-profile trade request, Trouba is never going to quite escape the questions of his future. Following a morning skate in Detroit on Tuesday, he was pressed a bit by WXYZ reporter Brad Galli about how close he came to returning to his home state via trade to play for the Red Wings.

“That’s not a question for me,” Trouba answered.
Never crossed your mind?
“Nope.”

His contract is up again after this season, where he’s a restricted free agent. Depending on what his next contract looks like, it wouldn't be shocking if the Red Wings re-emerged as a potential destination when unrestricted free agency ultimately arrives. Trouba’s agent Kurt Overhardt was in Detroit, where he took in the morning skate with Trouba’s brother and father. Overhardt and Cheveldayoff had a conversation, although it’s been one of many between the two.
“We talked today. We always talk,” Cheveldayoff said. “Talked to him in Colorado last week. Went for coffee. Yeah.”

He's re-signing.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I was a big Trouba fan when he first made the Jets. My first jersey was Trouba number 8 on the back (I do not wear it now). After what has transpired over the last few years, I just want the situation done. Trade him/ sign him, just let me know how I'm supposed to feel.

At this time, I do not have any warm feelings for Jacob. Really, how could any Jets fan. I get the sense he is just a paid mercenary, on a contract job. Loyalty is important for cheering sports fans and until I hear the right words said or commitment given, there is no evidence. He has stated "he has a contract with that team" for the next two years when he signed. Words have meaning.

Let's see what happens. I want to cheer for someone who wants to play for the Winnipeg Jets. If a player says he wants to go somewhere else, I want that player somewhere else as well.

GaryPoppins

Sep 10, 2016
Jere's some comments by Trouba from Detroit when the Jets were there...

Because of last season’s high-profile trade request, Trouba is never going to quite escape the questions of his future. Following a morning skate in Detroit on Tuesday, he was pressed a bit by WXYZ reporter Brad Galli about how close he came to returning to his home state via trade to play for the Red Wings.

“That’s not a question for me,” Trouba answered.
Never crossed your mind?
“Nope.”

His contract is up again after this season, where he’s a restricted free agent. Depending on what his next contract looks like, it wouldn't be shocking if the Red Wings re-emerged as a potential destination when unrestricted free agency ultimately arrives. Trouba’s agent Kurt Overhardt was in Detroit, where he took in the morning skate with Trouba’s brother and father. Overhardt and Cheveldayoff had a conversation, although it’s been one of many between the two.
“We talked today. We always talk,” Cheveldayoff said. “Talked to him in Colorado last week. Went for coffee. Yeah.”

He's re-signing.
I wish you are right. I think he's as good as gone.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am not sure how good Tessier's sources are. Nice guy but he hasn't really broken any a Jets news. I would take that rumor with a grain of salt.

GaryPoppins

Sep 10, 2016
Would it honestly be a surprise to anyone? To this date, there is more evidence/talk supporting his desire to play elsewhere than signing long term. The guys at TSN, Sportnet, etc. No one is coming out and saying he wants to be here.. remains a mystery. You can even look to team coverage from their in-house media.. far and few interviews with Trouba.

a 2 year deal worth 6 million.... If that doesn't shout and scream sign and trade...

Hope I'm wrong.. but he's gone.

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Jets actually need to sign him. Our defence core is getting older, is somehow injury prone and with a lot of young players in roster you are not going to win cup. Like ever. So keeping him should be no brainer. Is there actually any reasons WHY he wouldn't want to re-sign with Jets?

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Very few people know what the real deal is with Trouba's future in Winnipeg other than Trouba, Overhardt & Chevy. Anything you read or hear is at best speculative so why bother even worrying about it? I certainly am not.

Whatever Trouba's intentions are, Chevy knows them. If he wants to stay & be part of a team that will be contending for the next decade, awesome.

If he wants to go, Chevy will have traded him for a kings ransom long before he becomes a UFA.

Either way the team will be fine in the long run.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jets actually need to sign him. Our defence core is getting older, is somehow injury prone and with a lot of young players in roster you are not going to win cup. Like ever. So keeping him should be no brainer. Is there actually any reasons WHY he wouldn't want to re-sign with Jets?

Our defensive core isn't getting older, it remained the same compared to last year... Kulikov is 6 years younger than Stuart hence 6 defensemen aging divided by 6 years difference in Kulikov = NO age difference compared to last year. Technically it is YOUNGER because Poolman is younger than Postma. Next year Enstrom will be gone and Poolman or Chiarot will replace him and I am leaning towards Poolman. I still believe that this season will go a long way in determining whether Trouba stays or goes when he becomes a UFA. If the team makes the playoffs and actually wins a round it will provide incentive to stay.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Coming back in peace but LA is always open for a Trouba trade. LA needs someone to take mins off of Doughty (like Voynov did) and someone ready to step up in case Doughty leaves. If you guys are ever looking to trade him or improve your team...please look LA,s way;):thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Coming back in peace but LA is always open for a Trouba trade. LA needs someone to take mins off of Doughty (like Voynov did) and someone ready to step up in case Doughty leaves. If you guys are ever looking to trade him or improve your team...please look LA,s way;):thumbu:

I'm not sure you guys have what it would take to get him there.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would actually be interested in a pick-based trade with you guys. How about the higher of your 2008 first rounders? No, that is not a typo.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Looks fairly routine. Is Barkov made of glass? Perhaps the injury occurred earlier and he should not have been on the ice?

Definitely shoulder doesn't contact shoulder, but hits straight to the head. To me it seems more like "innocent looking" but intentional head hunt OR if we give Trouba the benefit of doubt he tries to hit shoulder to shoulder but misses the target.

Barkov's head bounces back and the angle of attack makes him vulnerable. Head hits are always like playing the Russian roulette: often nothing happens, but eventually someone gets badly hurt. Fortunately for Barkov, it seems that he did not suffer a major injury for that.

Below you can find a career ending hit that had similar angle of attack than in Trouba vs. Barkov. Doesn't look that bad, but now the victim is trying to learn how to live everyday life.

I might be bit of nutjob when talking about head hits, but I'm much more concerned about them than even some nasty and dirty slashes or kneeing or butt-ending. You can live without a knee (yeah, definitely that sucks), but try to live with serious brain damage.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Enstrom on his way out.....an aging Buff.......fragile Franky Myers going into the last year of his contract next season if he can stay healthy? There is no way Trouba has become more expendable. Now he may get moved but it won't be because Morrissey is getting better and we are overflowing with D talent at this point IMO.
True North has always been about players wanting to be here. I think how Myers was handled last season with his injuries and family situation will get them a hometown discount for him and he will stay as I think he wants to be here. The Poolman being more advanced than the jets thought will also be part of the equation. Trouba will go in the off-season to Tampa maybe at the draft. Trouba will give a hometown discount to Tampa as that is where he wants to be and Yzerman will obviously like that. The one thing holding this up to the off season is that both Tampa and Winnipeg are having great seasons and don’t want to fix something that is not broken.

Reactions: larmex99

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
True North has always been about players wanting to be here. I think how Myers was handled last season with his injuries and family situation will get them a hometown discount for him and he will stay as I think he wants to be here. The Poolman being more advanced than the jets thought will also be part of the equation. Trouba will go in the off-season to Tampa maybe at the draft. Trouba will give a hometown discount to Tampa as that is where he wants to be and Yzerman will obviously like that. The one thing holding this up to the off season is that both Tampa and Winnipeg are having great seasons and don’t want to fix something that is not broken.
What kind of trade do you see between Winnipeg and Tampa?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Maybe it's Trouba feeling the pressure to perform this year so he can get the huge contract, but he just seems "off" to me this season compared to previous. Just my feel from what I see.

I would trade him today if I could get someone to overpay for him.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What kind of trade do you see between Winnipeg and Tampa?
Serg would be ideal but I doubt TB dos that. I would go after Point and Howden up front plus a first rounder. I am not a huge fan of Foote as a return personally, I think we could do better elsewhere with a top prospect D that is NHL ready. Serg or nothing for me as we need a D coming back IMO.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Serg would be ideal but I doubt TB dos that. I would go after Point and Howden up front plus a first rounder. I am not a huge fan of Foote as a return personally, I think we could do better elsewhere with a top prospect D that is NHL ready. Serg or nothing for me as we need a D coming back IMO.

I'd love to see Trouba traded for Serg- and wouldn't mind throwing in another player.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I'd love to see Trouba traded for Serg- and wouldn't mind throwing in another player.

Ya, we could go bigger deal and get them to include Point for a blocbuster but then we gotta give up big, or ask for prospects like Howden, Cirelli our Raddysh to add to Serg. We have players that we could give them that may interest them too. They arent afraid of small skilled players so Petan or Perreault would be of interest or if they want a different type then you could send them Lemieux or Lowry. Lots of parts could go both ways and there could be a deal to be had but I doubt it lol
Im not good at trades but someting like:
Serg and Point
for
Trouba, Petan and Lowry

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ya, we could go bigger deal and get them to include Point for a blocbuster but then we gotta give up big, or ask for prospects like Howden, Cirelli our Raddysh to add to Serg. We have players that we could give them that may interest them too. They arent afraid of small skilled players so Petan or Perreault would be of interest or if they want a different type then you could send them Lemieux or Lowry. Lots of parts could go both ways and there could be a deal to be had but I doubt it lol
Im not good at trades but someting like:
Serg and Point
for
Trouba, Petan and Lowry
That is an awful deal for Tampa. We would be lucky to get one of Sergachev and Point in a trade. That being said, if one of them isn't coming back, I want nothing to do with trading Trouba to Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad