Salary Cap: Signing Jacob Trouba Part II

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trouba was significantly better than Morrissey last season which should be expected given it was his 4th year in the league vs. JoMo's rookie year.

Morrissey imo has been better and more consistent this year so far and I think a case might be made that he has more long range upside as an all around player but that doesn't factor in with regards to contracts as the two are in completely different places in their careers with different rights (cba). Morrissey if he is willing will fit inbetween a well defind cohort of players who signed long term out of their elc. It's almost a given based on a whole host of comparible players in similar situations that he will get between 4.5 and 5.4 million on a 6 to 7 year deal.

Trouba was offered 5.5 x 6 if the rumors are to be believed and that was before last year (where he played as a bonifed number 1 dmen) and before he had arb rights. Despite his sub par start he's easily getting north of 6 on a long term deal just based on his track record (more than 20 games this year) and the fact that he has more built in leverage (arb rights and the fact that the team will have to buy more UFA years.)

While I'm disappointed so far with his play, he isn't at all easy to replace. Myers can't play his role effectively, nor do I feel Poolman will ever be able to. We should be thankful that we have two players under 23 that can hold their own and even excel against the best the other teams can throw at us. This frees up easier ice time for playerd like Buff and Myers to excel at picking apart other teams depth players. It's really a win win for the team.
2p?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trouba was significantly better than Morrissey last season which should be expected given it was his 4th year in the league vs. JoMo's rookie year.

Morrissey imo has been better and more consistent this year so far and I think a case might be made that he has more long range upside as an all around player but that doesn't factor in with regards to contracts as the two are in completely different places in their careers with different rights (cba). Morrissey if he is willing will fit inbetween a well defind cohort of players who signed long term out of their elc. It's almost a given based on a whole host of comparible players in similar situations that he will get between 4.5 and 5.4 million on a 6 to 7 year deal.

Trouba was offered 5.5 x 6 if the rumors are to be believed and that was before last year (where he played as a bonifed number 1 dmen) and before he had arb rights. Despite his sub par start he's easily getting north of 6 on a long term deal just based on his track record (more than 20 games this year) and the fact that he has more built in leverage (arb rights and the fact that the team will have to buy more UFA years.)

While I'm disappointed so far with his play, he isn't at all easy to replace. Myers can't play his role effectively, nor do I feel Poolman will ever be able to. We should be thankful that we have two players under 23 that can hold their own and even excel against the best the other teams can throw at us. This frees up easier ice time for playerd like Buff and Myers to excel at picking apart other teams depth players. It's really a win win for the team.
2p?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Kings fan coming in peace. How much is Trouba looking for?

And would Winnipeg look to move him? I know last time it was difficult to sign him.

He is on my "most wanted" to trade for list for LA.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Kings fan coming in peace. How much is Trouba looking for?

And would Winnipeg look to move him? I know last time it was difficult to sign him.

He is on my "most wanted" to trade for list for LA.
I think I would trade Trouba for Muzzin and we would even throw in Dano.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Friedman on Trouba

Cole may be of the depth defenseman variety, but one higher-profile blueliner that could see his name appear in more trade-related chatter as the season progresses is Jacob Trouba of the Winnipeg Jets.
The 23-year-old rearguard can become a restricted free agent this summer when his two-year contract runs out, and until (or if) an extension is signed we could see potential trade storylines re-emerge.
He’d be a hot commodity around the league again, he doesn’t have any trade protection in his contract, and he’ll also be eligible for arbitration should it come to it.
“The one thing I really do believe is I think he does like playing in Winnipeg,” observed Friedman. “I think the only times that he gets frustrated are when he gets moved to the other side. So last year when Myers was hurt and him and Byfuglien were eating up all the time on the right side, I was told he was really happy.
“That to me is the big thing, is what’s the contract going to be. Are they going to be able to extend him to a point where we’re not talking about this every day. That’s going to be the challenge.
“I think he’s playing really well. I really like that team. I think they’ve got a lot of really good players, especially young ones. Laine is going to be the interesting one in terms of what they’re going to have to pay him. But I think they’ve got a lot of really good young players. I like Scheifele’s contract. I like Ehlers’ contract. Myers’, although it’s long term, it’s a very team-friendly contract in terms of money.
“I just think on Trouba they let it play out. They see how they do, and they take a stab at signing him long term. And I think they’ll see if they can do it.
“But the one thing I really find about him – and I’ve heard it from many people – is that as long as he gets to play the right side and he gets a lot of minutes, he’s not a guy who’s got a problem. It’s when he gets moved to the other side is that he starts to get upset, and that’s when he’s not happy about playing there.”

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Friedman on Trouba

Cole may be of the depth defenseman variety, but one higher-profile blueliner that could see his name appear in more trade-related chatter as the season progresses is Jacob Trouba of the Winnipeg Jets.
The 23-year-old rearguard can become a restricted free agent this summer when his two-year contract runs out, and until (or if) an extension is signed we could see potential trade storylines re-emerge.
He’d be a hot commodity around the league again, he doesn’t have any trade protection in his contract, and he’ll also be eligible for arbitration should it come to it.
“The one thing I really do believe is I think he does like playing in Winnipeg,” observed Friedman. “I think the only times that he gets frustrated are when he gets moved to the other side. So last year when Myers was hurt and him and Byfuglien were eating up all the time on the right side, I was told he was really happy.
“That to me is the big thing, is what’s the contract going to be. Are they going to be able to extend him to a point where we’re not talking about this every day. That’s going to be the challenge.
“I think he’s playing really well. I really like that team. I think they’ve got a lot of really good players, especially young ones. Laine is going to be the interesting one in terms of what they’re going to have to pay him. But I think they’ve got a lot of really good young players. I like Scheifele’s contract. I like Ehlers’ contract. Myers’, although it’s long term, it’s a very team-friendly contract in terms of money.
“I just think on Trouba they let it play out. They see how they do, and they take a stab at signing him long term. And I think they’ll see if they can do it.
“But the one thing I really find about him – and I’ve heard it from many people – is that as long as he gets to play the right side and he gets a lot of minutes, he’s not a guy who’s got a problem. It’s when he gets moved to the other side is that he starts to get upset, and that’s when he’s not happy about playing there.”

Why does Friedman always have to speculate on this. He's been so off base on Trouba over the last few years that all this does is create more issues. It would be one thing if he actually had inside info but all he has been doing is throwing stuff against the wall and it' pretty annoying.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why does Friedman always have to speculate on this. He's been so off base on Trouba over the last few years that all this does is create more issues. It would be one thing if he actually had inside info but all he has been doing is throwing stuff against the wall and it' pretty annoying.

He said that on the radio after being asked a question. It's the "entertainment" business. I don't really see why it's an issue. It actually sounds mostly positive IMO.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The silver lining on that Friedman piece is that is absolutely kills a few HF Trade Board memes.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016

Huh? He received so much crap from Jets fans in the 15/16 season when speculating that Trouba might want out, and he proved to be right in the offseason when the trade request was submitted

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Huh? He received so much crap from Jets fans in the 15/16 season when speculating that Trouba might want out, and he proved to be right in the offseason when the trade request was submitted

He also stated Trouba wouldn't sign and cone back and that he was down with org.

Infact a random blogger had more info then he did on that. He is my least favorite insider as he seemingly only reports on partial info half the time and throws in his own opinion.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

That's not how I recall it. I recall him getting shit for saying stupid things like 'the Jets have Myers so they might trade Trouba'. In retrospect, it's clear he knew more than he was letting on and wanted to look real smart in case Trouba did get traded. Turns out, while he may be getting spoon-fed shit from agents, he doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does (Myers vs. Trouba, Cheveldayoff's tendencies, etc.).

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
He said that on the radio after being asked a question. It's the "entertainment" business. I don't really see why it's an issue. It actually sounds mostly positive IMO.
Was this stated just recently?

Seems semi positive and coincides with Chevy saying Trouba’s camp showed interest in resigning long term

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It'll be interesting to see the $'s he demands - that'll likely be biggest factor in where he ends up. I'll be first pairing money so you have to assume he'll play the right side in any lineup. It's a bit of a gamble IMO - he needs to improve his play for the money he's likely looking for and I see regression this year

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Friedman on Trouba

Interesting affirmation of the original story about usage. It always seemed a little far fetched - because it seemed like an over-reaction. But if it is that important to him then it is that important.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Custance: Jacob Trouba embracing role while sacrificing...

IMG_0225.jpg

Article talks about Trouba embracing the hard minutes he's getting. Basically putting the interests of the team first.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

He's a good hockey player but how come he does this? Every time it's the same pattern: Maybe a bit late, maybe a bit high and the target gets injured. I am sure there's no intent to injure, but it's a f***ing stupid play. I wouldn't mind seeing him cut it from his repertoire.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Only hit I thought was a bit dirty was the last one on Stone and I think he just missed the target. He was penalized for it (could argue it should have been 5 not 2) AND suspended. Unless you are advocating for European style rules where any head contact is an automatic suspension? To me, big hits are an essential part of the game.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Only hit I thought was a bit dirty was the last one on Stone and I think he just missed the target. He was penalized for it (could argue it should have been 5 not 2) AND suspended. Unless you are advocating for European style rules where any head contact is an automatic suspension? To me, big hits are an essential part of the game.
I understand. But these don't even count as "big hits" to me. He just elbows people to the head. Learn to hit proper or stop hurting people with idiotic plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->