Should Holland be replaced as GM? (and moved to front office)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Here is an interesting article from The Hockey News on "How much confidence does each NHL fan base have in their front office? A ranking of all 30 teams"

Detroit # 21
Chicago # 12
Stevie Y # 1

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/h...their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

I'm impressed the Wings aren't dead last.

Kenny's incompetence has been incredible over the last seven years.

It's just one wrong move after another.

They should drop to dead last when this 73 million dollar roster fails to make the playoffs, and people realize the Wings have turned into the Toronto Maple Leafs.

We like our team!!!!!!!

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Absolutely, but you don't see poster praising Holland based on those hypotheticals.

Which is exactly what I am getting at. Its absurd to critique (good or bad) an individual based on a hypothetical situation. The poster I quoted was using a made up situation to push his agenda.

Except the problem is that is exactly what he done with KQ is it not? So it was not a hypothetical, He done it sorry.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Except the problem is that is exactly what he done with KQ is it not? So it was not a hypothetical, He done it sorry.

The post I quoted, specifically, referenced waiving players on our current roster and trading for them. S/he even went so far to admit it was hyperbolic..

So it was a hypothetical, extreme and a flawed way of critiquing Holland. Sorry.

Last edited:

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I'm impressed the Wings aren't dead last.

Kenny's incompetence has been incredible over the last seven years.

It's just one wrong move after another.

They should drop to dead last when this 73 million dollar roster fails to make the playoffs, and people realize the Wings have turned into the Toronto Maple Leafs.

We like our team!!!!!!!

Never will there be a person more disgusted by making the playoffs. :laugh:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
The post I quoted, specifically, referenced waiving players on our current roster and trading for them. S/he even went so far to admit it was hyperbolic..

So it was a hypothetical, extreme and a flawed way of critiquing Holland. Sorry.

So criticizing Holland for waving and then trading a first for a sub-par player to replace an all star legend as a bad move by indicating a likelihood of Holland making the same bad move again is somehow lunacy? Or is it lunacy to think the same guy that created this situation is going to somehow fix it?

honestly its ironic how long its taken this team to get bad enough to flirt with non-playoff status, its a testament to how good Holland (and more likely those he was surrounded by) were.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So criticizing Holland for waving and then trading a first for a sub-par player to replace an all star legend as a bad move by indicating a likelihood of Holland making the same bad move again is somehow lunacy? Or is it lunacy to think the same guy that created this situation is going to somehow fix it?

honestly its ironic how long its taken this team to get bad enough to flirt with non-playoff status, its a testament to how good Holland (and more likely those he was surrounded by) were.

Question 1: Yes, absolutely.

First of all your assuming the KQ trade was definitively bad. While, I would agree it was bad "trade value" but we got 4.5 seasons of service out of Quincey. Even if lost the Trade, the move had real value.

Second of all that trade has no relevance on the future trades. As we saw during the most recent trade deadline, Past moves are not predictive of future moves. ie. Holland frequently makes deadline acquisitions but avoided it last season. ergo, Its completely false to assume because Holland previously waived and traded for Quincey, he would pull a similar move.

Third, even if we assume the KQ trade was universally bad, this critique is based on an assumption that Holland can't learn from past mistakes. I realize he isn't a popular man around here, but the guy has more than bricks up in his head. He still learns from his mistakes like the rest of us.

So yes, it is lunacy to use a hypothetical move to criticize Holland.

Question 2 seems to be completely unrelated to your made up situation used to complain about Holland.

On a different note:

Your statement of irony rings of hypocrisy. You say, "its a testament to how good Holland (and more likely those he was surrounded by) were" specifically pointing to those Holland was surrounded by. Well using that logic, Holland deserves a tonne of credit for building those 90s teams because he was one of those surrounding the GM. Point being that even before he was a gm he played a large roll in roster construction and contributed to the success of the Red Wins through the 90s.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Being glad to keep a meaningless playoff streak going, just to be embarrassed in the first round year after year after year, is no way to hold a franchise to its own standards of not long ago, when it was, Cup run or bust.

The streak is by no means meaningless, but it can't (continue to) be the long-term driving force, either. It's too late now, but I wanted to see a sink-or-swim with the kids scenario for the upcoming season. There's literally no reason to get excited about this roster, cause it's basically the same, only a little worse with the departure of Pavel. Our prospects get the short end of the stick yet again and that's the main reason I voted "yes" for replacing Holland.

Maybe Blashill will grow a pair and shake things up? Yeah ... we'll see.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

First of all your assuming the KQ trade was definitively bad. While, I would agree it was bad "trade value" but we got 4.5 seasons of service out of Quincey. Even if lost the Trade, the move had real value.

Second of all that trade has no relevance on the future trades. As we saw during the most recent trade deadline, Past moves are not predictive of future moves. ie. Holland frequently makes deadline acquisitions but avoided it last season. ergo, Its completely false to assume because Holland previously waived and traded for Quincey, he would pull a similar move.

Third, even if we assume the KQ trade was universally bad, this critique is based on an assumption that Holland can't learn from past mistakes. I realize he isn't a popular man around here, but the guy has more than bricks up in his head. He still learns from his mistakes like the rest of us.

So yes, it is lunacy to use a hypothetical move to criticize Holland.

Question 2 seems to be completely unrelated to your made up situation used to complain about Holland.

On a different note:

Your statement of irony rings of hypocrisy. You say, "its a testament to how good Holland (and more likely those he was surrounded by) were" specifically pointing to those Holland was surrounded by. Well using that logic, Holland deserves a tonne of credit for building those 90s teams because he was one of those surrounding the GM. Point being that even before he was a gm he played a large roll in roster construction and contributed to the success of the Red Wins through the 90s.

all i will say to this is, if KH's previous moves(trades/signings) have no bearing on his future moves(trades/signings) than by that exact same deductive logic, hollands past success' have no bearing whatsoever on his ability to bring about future success and therefore he must SOLELY be judged on his most recent body of work like any other employee and its not a glowing review, is it?

we cant cherry pick how to form arguments, its either ALL or NOTHING

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Still many people forget, how the trade market was at trade deadline 2012. AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE.

We were at 2nd position of the Standings. Behind New York Rangers. So our 1st round pick had kind of 27th-30th overall value at the trade time.

Our team was running very well after two lesser seasons, probably at best for the last push for the Cup with Lidström since 2009.

We were after Gaustad, but we lost that idea for Nashville, because Buffalo preferred Nashville's 1st. They were somewhere at 10th in the standings, so it looked like a more valued higher pick. We were at 2nd.

And after trade deadline, (this is really funny example how things can change), when injuries did hit the Red Wings, we dropped behind Nashville in the standings by 2 points.

So Buffalo did get a lower pick (21st overall) for Gaustad instead they thought they could get a higher pick from Nashville. Red Wings 1st (traded in a 3-way trade COL&TBL for Quincey) finally was 19th overall Yzerman used for Vasilevskiy. Buffalo had to trade up for #14 overall in the 2012 draft because of the pick drop and did lost extra assets.

Still, I remember crystal clear, Holland said that scouting staff had analyzed this 2012 draft being very weak after TOP15. So he kind of said, trading a Bottom15 1st rounder out felt like trading a 2nd rounder.

That was the idea on that trade deadline.

What Holland learned about it? Probably that don't ever trade first round picks at the trade deadline, because the unluckiest streak of injuries can hit and you can drop 10 positions on the standings.

He learned that no matter what how good or bad you manage, luck can change things very much. And that's an element which will never go away.

He has had his streak of bad luck, Konstantinov, Fischer. Fedorov bolting out. And always survived.

When looking those names picked after 19th overall, there is only one name I would like to have in our team. Olli Määttä, 22nd overall. But would he have been our pick without the trade? You never know, othervise the list of guys is very poor after him.

The draft analyze during the trade could have been, that it's very minor probability, that:

A) We drop so low as we did from 2nd position of the standings, for 19th overall (pick). Realistic drop would have been probably 5 spots at maximum. You couldn't predict those injuries. Lidström missed only 12 games, but we lost at least Howard, Datsyuk and Helm also after.

B) could Määttä anyhow drop to our pick? He was ranked as 8th best of NA skaters. 16 NA draftees went before him. His drop was unpredictable, he was count to be one of TOP15 guys. Make a re-draft now, and he goes at TOP10 easily.

So I kind of agree with Red Wings management. That analyze where 1st round is weak of depth and talent will end after TOP15 picks, was pretty much a right analyze.

Ken Holland and his staff made a right decision on that time
. Bad luck changed the history.

So, they did trade the first, but they knew the draft is weak after TOP15, and felt trading a 2nd rounder.

Everything they said and now checked afterwards, again, they did make the right analyze.

Quincey for 1st was Quincey for "2nd" in reality.

And people still like to freak out about this. Quincey cost us a "2nd" and a 4th, just like Brad Stuart did cost and he was good for us after a bad start. I liked him during last 2 seasons. He matured well to our mold.

Still, look at that draft. It was a weak draft. Understand our position at trade time.

They just couldn't predict two things, 2012 late-season injuries, and Olli Määttä drop at the draft. Very very minor probabilities.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Still many people forget, how the trade market was at trade deadline 2012. AT THE TIME OF THE TRADE.

We were at 2nd position of the Standings. Behind New York Rangers. So our 1st round pick had kind of 27th-30th overall value on the trade time.

Our team was running very well after two lesser seasons, probably at best for the last push for the Cup with Lidström since 2009.

We were after Gaustad, but we lost that idea for Nashville, because Buffalo preferred Nashville's 1st. They were somewhere at 10th in the standings, so it looked like a more valued higher pick. We were at 2nd.

And after trade deadline, (this is really funny example how things can change), when injuries did hit the Red Wings, we dropped behind Nashville in the standings by 2 points.

So Buffalo did get a lower pick (21st overall) for Gaustad instead they thought they could get a higher pick from Nashville. Red Wings 1st (traded in a 3-way trade COL&TBL for Quincey) finally was 19th overall Yzerman used for Vasilevskiy. Buffalo had to trade up for #14 overall in the 2012 draft because of the pick drop and did lost extra assets.

Still, I remember crystal clear, Holland said that scouting staff had analyzed this 2012 draft being very weak after TOP15. So he kind of said, trading a Bottom15 1st rounder out felt like trading a 2nd rounder.

What Holland learned about it? Probably that don't ever trade first round picks at the trade deadline, because the unluckiest streak of injuries can hit and you can drop 10 positions on the standings.

He learned that no matter what how good or bad you manage, luck can change things very much. And that's an element which will never go away.

He has had his streak of bad luck, Konstantinov, Fischer. Fedorov bolting out. And always survived.

When looking those names picked after 19th overall, there is only one name I would like to have in our team. Olli Määttä, 22nd overall. But would he have been our pick without the trade? You never know, othervise the list of guys is very poor after him.

The draft analyze during the trade could have been, that it's very minor probability, that:

A) We drop so low as we did from 2nd postition of the standing, for 19th overall (pick). Realistic drop would have been probably 5 spots at maximum. You couldn't predict those injuries. Lidström missed only 12 games, but we lost at least Howard, Datsyuk and Helm also after.

B) could Määttä anyhow drop to our pick? He was ranked as 8th best of NA skaters. 16 NA draftees went before him. His drop was unpredictable, he was count to be one of TOP15 guys.

So I kind of agree with Red Wings management. That analyze where 1st round is weak of depth and talent will end after TOP15 picks, was pretty much a right analyze.

So, they did trade the first, but they knew the draft it weak after TOP15, and felt trading a 2nd rounder.

Everything they said and now checked afterwards, again, they did make the right analyze. Quincey for 1st was Quincey for "2nd" in reality. And people still like to freak out about this.

They just couldn't predict two things, 2012 late-season injuries, and Olli Määttä drop at the draft. Very very minor probabilities.

its amazing how he can be so smart in his scouting and drafting philosophies and be able to find the late round gems which he receives ample praise for THOSEcrystal ball talents but he wasnt able to forse we werent really a true top contender or that our pick would be much higher in the draft and therefore cant be criticized for not having THOSE crystal ball talents

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

We were at 2nd position of the Standings. Behind New York Rangers. So our 1st round pick had kind of 27th-30th overall value on the trade time.

A) We drop so low as we did from 2nd postition of the standing, for 19th overall (pick). Realistic drop would have been probably 5 spots at maximum. You couldn't predict those injuries. Lidström missed only 12 games, but we lost at least Howard, Datsyuk and Helm also after.

B) could Määttä anyhow drop to our pick? He was ranked as 8th best of NA skaters. 16 NA draftees went before him. His drop was unpredictable, he was count to be one of TOP15 guys. Make a re-draft now, and he goes at TOP10 easily.

So, they did trade the first, but they knew the draft it weak after TOP15, and felt trading a 2nd rounder.

Everything they said and now checked afterwards, again, they did make the right analyze. Quincey for 1st was Quincey for "2nd" in reality. And people still like to freak out about this. Look at that draft. It was a weak draft. Understand our position at trade time.

Great post Henk, it really really sucks that we could have Olli Maata right now, but like you said who knows and that was such a weak late first and second round. Crazy that we got AA at 110 in hindsight.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
all i will say to this is, if KH's previous moves(trades/signings) have no bearing on his future moves(trades/signings) than by that exact same deductive logic, hollands past success' have no bearing whatsoever on his ability to bring about future success and therefore he must SOLELY be judged on his most recent body of work like any other employee and its not a glowing review, is it?

we cant cherry pick how to form arguments, its either ALL or NOTHING

You're missing the point, or maybe I conveyed it poorly. I was specifically addressing Fedorov who was using a completely made up scenario to judge holland. I'm not against criticizing holland, like everyone else he has made mistakes. What I am against, is people making up a sequence of events that fits their personal agenda of proving how bad Holland is. Judge him by what he is doing, not some imaginary event.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You're missing the point, or maybe I conveyed it poorly. I was specifically addressing Fedorov who was using a completely made up scenario to judge holland. I'm not against criticizing holland, like everyone else he has made mistakes. What I am against, is people making up a sequence of events that fits their personal agenda of proving how bad Holland is. Judge him by what he is doing, not some imaginary event.

ok fair enough

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Being glad to keep a meaningless playoff streak going, just to be embarrassed in the first round year after year after year, is no way to hold a franchise to its own standards of not long ago, when it was, Cup run or bust.
I don't think the Wings have been embarassed at all in the recent playoff runs despite the outcomes.

*shrugs*

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Agreed. It's much less embarrassing to be one of the worst teams in the league and pick top 5.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Agreed. It's much less embarrassing to be one of the worst teams in the league and pick top 5.
Public perception shouldn't really come into it. You do what you have to do to win Stanley Cups. If that means you have to tear it all down, that's what you do. It doesn't matter what everybody else says.

Hell, we should know. We're the ones who chirped the Hawks during their pre-dynasty years. It didn't affect them much, did it? It won't affect the Leafs much, either. And it shouldn't affect the Wings now that it's their turn.

Now what the first round exits really are is pointless. The tanking, I completely understand: you're trying to go somewhere. You're fishing around for the right players, and once you land them, you're ready to go. That's goal-directed behavior. I have no idea what Ken Holland thinks those first round exits are going to lead to. They're not likely to lead to anything at all.

I think sometimes he doesn't have a plan or end goal, just a set of actions or conduct that he thinks is reasonable. He knows he needs depth, he just doesn't really have a concrete picture as to how he's going to parlay that depth into continued playoff success. And he knows he needs to draft lots of projects, and he knows he needs a lot of minor league depth, and etc etc. It's sort of team building from a cookbook, completely divorced from any kind of proper context.

I wonder if his plan is to put a team that meets the minimum requirements out there, just to see what happens. There's no logical path to the Cup from there, but it's technically possible that the stars could align properly, every other team could be ill, and this team could make it to the finals. But that would be a truly pathetic plan, and I can't bring myself to believe relying on the stars to align is an intelligible cup-winning strategy.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Watching a team consistently give up 1 goal leads in the 3rd period, have a horribly boring PP and no team identity limp into the playoffs and then get blasted is great fun

Yeah, but watching a team with many top 10 picks in the past 15 years, and never go anywhere is a lot more fun, ala teams, like Columbus. Yeah, I think I would rather make the playoffs, then miss, year in and year out. But hey, we would have great top 10 picks!:sarcasm:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah, but watching a team with many top 10 picks in the past 15 years, and never go anywhere is a lot more fun, ala teams, like Columbus. Yeah, I think I would rather make the playoffs, then miss, year in and year out. But hey, we would have great top 10 picks!:sarcasm:
But if you believe so strongly in this management group (most people who feel this way think that Holland can pull off rebuilding on the fly, which takes a lot of management ability), then why can't they rebuild successfully? Is it just impossible to rebuild and not be a total trainwreck for years and years, even with one of the best front offices in the NHL? Like if Holland can turn his late round draft picks into great players, surely he can turn early round draft picks into great players, too. And he might even have more picks, so he could do it more often. Wouldn't that result in a better team, faster?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The worst years I saw watching the Stars is when they were missing the playoffs but picking around 10th every year. It was all the non-excitement of no playoffs, combined with all the non-excitement of getting so-so prospects in the draft and not really progressing year to year.

Until the Seguin and Spezza shake-up trades, that team was painful to watch and stay invested in regularly. I'm hoping and praying it doesn't happen to the Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad