Should Holland be replaced as GM? (and moved to front office)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Interesting to note that I made a poll like this maybe 6 months back, and the results were about 30/70, "fire" to "keep". This offseason has really soured a lot of people on Holland's overall performance.

And rightfully so. He talked a big game, but ended up doing the exact same thing he has been doing for the past six years.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Interesting to note that I made a poll like this maybe 6 months back, and the results were about 30/70, "fire" to "keep". This offseason has really soured a lot of people on Holland's overall performance.

Give it six months and the opinion will change again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Which it shouldn't. Holland has been terrible for half a decade.
'Terrible' might be a bit harsh, but ' keeping the team in neutral' (whether at the behest of ownership or not) definitely fits.

I actually hope that Toronto at least gets relevant again, if not outright into contention. Love their current approach, and O6 teams legitimately in the mix is never bad for the league.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
'Terrible' might be a bit harsh, but ' keeping the team in neutral' (whether at the behest of ownership or not) definitely fits.

I actually hope that Toronto at least gets relevant again, if not outright into contention. Love their current approach, and O6 teams legitimately in the mix is never bad for the league.

They'll be good sooner than later.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Give it six months and the opinion will change again.

New information yields new opinions! I think that's healthy. We shouldn't be rooted in one place.

I've been waiting many off-seasons for Holland to impress me with a move. I defended him many time. I said things like "this is a big off-season for him" and then a handful of seasons later, what's left?

Results matter. And if he swings a move that produces favorable results, so will opinions.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They'll be good sooner than later.

I am really confused by this belief outside of Toronto. I get it fans will be fans in terms of the overall output of this message with how massive the Leafs fandom is.

But seriously explain to me how they are setup for the future better than

Tampa, Florida and Buffalo....

That is just on the future assets game and what they have young talent wise. I mean everything could hit for them and I have a tough time seeing them better than any of those teams anytime soon in the division....

That also assumes that Montreal, Boston and Detroit can't figure out anything at all. Oh and the final team Ottawa has the best offensive D-man since Coffey if their ownership ever gets a pulse...

Like I get Toronto fans buying this notion, but seriously look around the division, I doubt they win a division title during the Babcock contract....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I said it after digesting the disappointment of free agency. I even understand a couple of those moves and like them. But I don't see direction right now and it's getting harder and harder to see how they pull this off in terms of a big picture look....

I am in favor of Holland going upstairs and landing Paul Fenton. We can work on some other Assistant GM or current GM names (Ilitch Family could really go all out here money wise if they make the choice to) out there that are realistic. But that is the one I like the most out there that I think we could reasonably land while Holland slides into Devellano's role in the organization.

If it is to turn to Ryan Martin, yeah big pass on that one right now for me. I would prefer Kenny stay there over some options out there. I just think he needed to deliver over the last 18 months and if anything the picture got murkier and that isn't acceptable. He has a couple months to pull off a d-man trade or his seat is going to start to get warm here soon.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I am really confused by this belief outside of Toronto. I get it fans will be fans in terms of the overall output of this message with how massive the Leafs fandom is.

But seriously explain to me how they are setup for the future better than

Tampa, Florida and Buffalo....

That is just on the future assets game and what they have young talent wise. I mean everything could hit for them and I have a tough time seeing them better than any of those teams anytime soon in the division....

That also assumes that Montreal, Boston and Detroit can't figure out anything at all. Oh and the final team Ottawa has the best offensive D-man since Coffey if their ownership ever gets a pulse...

Like I get Toronto fans buying this notion, but seriously look around the division, I doubt they win a division title during the Babcock contract....

Brown is as good as Kane. Didn't you notice during his 7 game sample size

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

thats because he flat our LIED to every single fan

he can in no way shape or form be blamed for not signing stamkos but what he did as a knee jerk reaction after that is awful

he made no attempts to improve the blueline via the free agent market or trade

he made no attempts to get bigger and harder to play against on a game to game basis (ott is a 15th forward so dosent count)

he made no attempts to promote youth and get younger(we in fact got older) despite the fact the ENTIRE league goes out of its way to get younger

he made no attempt to address "roles" by letting free agents walk and trading away prospects that simply dont fit or dont belong

the team is no better than the one that lost to tampa and is in fact in financially worse shape

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Honestly I think a year ago it would have been 50/50 but then after Larkin made the team we were all optimistic that it was a signal of change.

We thought Blashill would improve upon Babcock's mistakes. We thought that the team had recognized that we're building for the future and that the young guys would get ample opportunities to make the team and learn the game over the course of the year. That was probably foolish of us but after this season and free agency, it's very very apparent that nothing has changed and we're out of the pan into the dumpster fire.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
thats because he flat our LIED to every single fan

he can in no way shape or form be blamed for not signing stamkos but what he did as a knee jerk reaction after that is awful

he made no attempts to get bigger and harder to play against on a game to game basis (ott is a 15th forward so dosent count)

he made no attempts to promote youth and get younger(we in fact got older) despite the fact the ENTIRE league goes out of its way to get younger

he made no attempt to address "roles" by letting free agents walk and trading away prospects that simply dont fit or dont belong

the team is no better than the one that lost to tampa and is in fact in financially worse shape

This is what kills me about fans. How do we know if Holland was really trying hard or not behind the scenes? Only those close to the organization really know how hard he did or did not try. I understand the results thing but their is still the summer and up until the trade deadline to see if prices drop. Is Fowler or Trouba really worth losing AA or Matha plus Tatr or Gus? Too me not one of them but a true number one yes. I am not sold on them two.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is what kills me about fans. How do we know if Holland was really trying hard or not behind the scenes? Only those close to the organization really know how hard he did or did not try. I understand the results thing but their is still the summer and up until the trade deadline to see if prices drop. Is Fowler or Trouba really worth losing AA or Matha plus Tatr or Gus? Too me not one of them but a true number one yes. I am not sold on them two.

We've had the fewest number of trades in the league over the past decade. And it's not even close between us and the team with the second fewest number of trades; we've done half the trades of that team. Holland has completely failed at one of the key parts of being a general manager: improving your team or retooling your team via trade. Drafting and development ain't much better. We've drafted and developed ZERO true top pairing d-men over the past 15 years.

So it's tough for me to say "poor Ken Holland" when the rest of the league is ****ing lapping him with regards to making trades to address their needs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

It's why I don't tend to participate in polls like these. I've wanted Holland promoted out of the GM spot for a while now. I just don't see the need to participate in a poll. Nothing against creating one as I do think it shows the fan opinion at a particular point in time. I do think a big part of the discontent is many believed we were the favorite to land Steven Stamkos and they are bummed that was completely false.

It's been obvious since around 2013 that Ken Holland's form of management will not work. His moves have not made this franchise better, have not addressed our biggest needs, and in the case of burying younger players nearly cost him the beloved playoff streak.

So while I don't feel the need to participate in a poll I do agree he's well past his prime and it's time to move in another direction. Until that day comes the franchise will continue to regress.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain

because he flat our LIED to every single fan

I'm pretty sure it's YOU who is making these LIES.

Why is it awful sign free assets? It's good asset management.

We don't know about attempts. There surely has been a rumoured Shattenkirk -attempt, but his UFA status won't fit with any team except Rangers he dreams to play for. So it's absolutely right move not trade for him "at any cost" if there is HUGE RISK he won't re-sign with us. Still, and again, trades not happening doesn't mean there's no attempts.

This has been more of future direction talk. They drafted Givani Smith and Kenny traded (KENNY TRADED!!!) Dylan Sadowy from San Jose. Big, tough, gritty players. Signed Ott. Only remarkable tough UFA was Lucic, who decided to go Edmonton before Free agency like Stammer preferred Tampa.

Peoople expect just too much changes via free agency, and free agency only, and connect Kenny's all talks that it's about free agency. It's not. It about overall team building which includes all areas.

He did. Quincey was let walk and Ouellet comes in. Kenny also has talks he hopes 1-2 forwards to take spots like Larkin did at last season. Than means Athanasiou for sure (he is already a regular) and probably Mantha who didn't impress on his NHL stint. If Mantha is still not ready, he won't get a free spot. No one will get. It's the Red Wings way.

He did let Quincey walk. He did let Richards walk. He did let Andersson walk. He did trade Kindl away 4 months ago and did got a draft pick.

That's the only thing where you are probably right. But not because Holland did something wrong or LIED.

Without any LIES, team could be worse, because our best player Datsyuk decided to retire.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'm pretty sure it's YOU who is making these LIES.

Why is it awful sign free assets? It's good asset management.

We don't know about attempts. There surely has been a rumoured Shattenkirk -attempt, but his UFA status won't fit with any team except Rangers he dreams to play for. So it's absolutely right move not trade for him "at any cost" if there is HUGE RISK he won't re-sign with us. Still, and again, trades not happening doesn't mean there's no attempts.

This has been more of future direction talk. They drafted Givani Smith and Kenny traded (KENNY TRADED!!!) Dylan Sadowy from San Jose. Big, tough, gritty players. Signed Ott. Only remarkable tough UFA was Lucic, who decided to go Edmonton before Free agency like Stammer preferred Tampa.

Peoople expect just too much changes via free agency, and free agency only, and connect Kenny's all talks that it's about free agency. It's not. It about overall team building which includes all areas.

He did. Quincey was let walk and Ouellet comes in. Kenny also has talks he hopes 1-2 forwards to take spots like Larkin did at last season. Than means Athanasiou for sure (he is already a regular) and probably Mantha who didn't impress on his NHL stint. If Mantha is still not ready, he won't get a free spot. No one will get. It's the Red Wings way.

He did let Quincey walk. He did let Richards walk. He did let Andersson walk. He did trade Kindl away 4 months ago and did got a draft pick.

That's the only thing where you are probably right. But not because Holland did something wrong or LIED.

Without any LIES, team could be worse, because our best player Datsyuk decided to retire.

listen to his end of season presser, that of blashill and that of the important players(zetterberg) and compare those words to the actions we have undertaken and tell me again where we followed the direction laid out back in april

if you think brad richards publicly saying he didnt want to return or a 17th nhl forward in joakim andersson choosing to go back to europe translates to meeting expectations and goals then so be it

i expected some tangible changes, of course not all at once, but a clear and decisive change in course ie, an improved blueline(notice i am not saying drastic), a bigger and harder team to play against(martin or brouwer vs vanek and helm), increased responsability and reliance on youth sink or swim(mantha and AA with assured spots) and better defined roles(from first line to fourth line players)

these arent massive changes but incremental ones

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
We've had the fewest number of trades in the league over the past decade. And it's not even close between us and the team with the second fewest number of trades; we've done half the trades of that team. Holland has completely failed at one of the key parts of being a general manager: improving your team or retooling your team via trade. Drafting and development ain't much better. We've drafted and developed ZERO true top pairing d-men over the past 15 years.

So it's tough for me to say "poor Ken Holland" when the rest of the league is ****ing lapping him with regards to making trades to address their needs.

I understand that. I am not saying poor Holland. My point being is that there are lots of things that go on that fans don't know about and therefore I don't get too bent out of shape. I am sure that Holland and the owners constantly talk and maybe the owners are good with just making the playoffs or maybe not. They have an idea on how good or bad this team will be, already.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
For the record, Q and Richards have not signed anywhere yet. It is still very possible that they come back.

I doubt Richards would even want to come back, but I can definitely see Q getting another shot after Holland fails to trade for anyone.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
For the record, Q and Richards have not signed anywhere yet. It is still very possible that they come back.

I doubt Richards would even want to come back, but I can definitely see Q getting another shot after Holland fails to trade for anyone.

With what money? Is Q going to take a massive discount?

Mrazek and DD are probably going to end up taking up almost all of the Wings remaining cap space, and the Wings would end up having to waive both XO and Sproul if Quincey came back.

I think Holland made his bed. Overload on forwards and hope it makes up for the garbage blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad