Should have kept Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm goin by What Wilson said. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/10/27/nhl-mapleleafs-schenn.html

That is why he was kept up. That is why he got ruined.

Despite what some people think, Schenn did have good games and some nights was our best dman. His rookie season I think Schenn came out swinging but the learning curve got too great and he was stagnating hid development. Schenn had potential when he was drafted, anyone could see that.

It just sounds like the hipster thing to do. "I hated Schenn before everyone else did!" :yo:

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Once they play 10games it counts as one full year of their ELC's.

That could end up costing you millions in cap room a few years down the road.

Of course, but the point is the one year of ELC had already been lost when Burke came in. That wouldn't stop him from sending Luke back if he truly believed it was better for his development.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Despite what some people think, Schenn did have good games and some nights was our best dman. His rookie season I think Schenn came out swinging but the learning curve got too great and he was stagnating hid development. Schenn had potential when he was drafted, anyone could see that.

It just sounds like the hipster thing to do. "I hated Schenn before everyone else did!" :yo:

Sounds more like someone who bought the hype.

There were people here who saw how he played and didn't buy into the hype. Even the suggestion of sending him to the minors to get his head straight was attacked.

Apr 1, 2010
Of course, but the point is the one year of ELC had already been lost when Burke came in. That wouldn't stop him from sending Luke back if he truly believed it was better for his development.

Exactly. The year had been spent so why bother sending him back down?
At that point, I think the potential blow to Schenn's confidence also played a big factor.

Like at 9 games, getting sent down is no big deal. The NHL team wants to save one year on the ELC. But gettting sent down after 20 games and they had said they are keeping you...?

That might be the 2nd worst decision made that year before BUrke was brought in.

#1 is easily the Steen & Coli trade. For me anyway.

Apr 1, 2010
I had no use for Wilson, and would have fired him 2 years ago. I didn't make those feelings secret either although plenty here absolved him of any responsibility the entire time he was coach.

I liked the way he seemed to get a good effort out of the players.

His antics with the media were a nice change. However I didn't like how he talked about players in the media.

I think 2 years ago was probably about right. But the team was still low on talent, so he got a pass. Last year with finally a solid roster Burke had to let him run.

I almost wonder if after the he got his extension the players looked around the dressing room and wondered; "Why did we just kill ourselves to get more years under this *******?"

I appreciate Burkes loyalty and think it is an admirable quality but it did cause him to hold onto Wilson too long. As loyal as he is it took a lot of hutzpah not to give Wilson an extension in the summer. He risked alienating a 30yr friend by doing that.

But when the team was swooning he should have pulled the trigger several games sooner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yes, tbh i wanted Forsberg with our pick; however, i've turned into quite the Rielly lover.

I wanted a big center, but went with the Red Line report when they said Rielly could be a homerun for any GM brave enough to make that selection.

Rielly was the only defender who I was interested in outside of the greatest need.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Sounds more like someone who bought the hype.

There were people here who saw how he played and didn't buy into the hype. Even the suggestion of sending him to the minors to get his head straight was attacked.

Why wouldn't you be optimistic when you get a highly touted dman at the draft who had the potential to be a rock on defence.

Only the overly pessimistic people would assume the prospect would fail as soon as we got him. Although I'm not surprised some people put down all our prospects anyways.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I was never that high on Schenn

He put in the effort, he risked the body and he had good hockey sense, I just don't think he has the foot speed to be a top pairing guy in the NHL.

Every year that went by looked more and more like Hal Gill...

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
There is very limited use for nearly immobile defensemen the way the game is called now, unless you happen to be seven feet tall. It doesnt matter how many hits you throw when they're not accomplishing anything strategically. Acquiring a guy like Gardiner made Schenn something of an afterthought of a prospect overnight.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No we should not have kept Schenn.

How many games has his defence really stood out to you to the point that you couldn't see the Leafs win because of it? I can probably count on one hand between all his years here.

Now count all the dumbass plays hes made just last year nevermind his first two seasons, that cost us goals and games.

Yeah...

Schenn sucked and was a brutal pick.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
There is very limited use for nearly immobile defensemen the way the game is called now, unless you happen to be seven feet tall. It doesnt matter how many hits you throw when they're not accomplishing anything strategically. Acquiring a guy like Gardiner made Schenn something of an afterthought of a prospect overnight.

Did you smell that skunk tonight?

Good god it was ripe.

I agree, Gards pushed Schenn out of the top 4. Our 3M could be better spent.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Leafs got good value for Schenn. No complaints from me.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'm more annoyed by losing Aulie, tbh.

i agree. i dont really think that ashton has much of a future with the leafs. even though aulie seemed redundant with the amount of defensive defenseman we had at the time he was young and cheap and could have gone a few more seasons with the marlies. i felt like it was a trade for the sake of making a trade. he also shown he was as good as schenn at the nhl level imo. he would have been great for a 5-6 guy long term.

I would have preferred if we traded him for Simmonds rather than JVR.

i think you are going to be pleasantly surprised when you see a healthy jvr start to get his **** together. simmonds is a great player and i would love him on the leafs but why would you take a 2/3 liner when you could take a 1st liner. jvr was taken 2nd overall for a reason. kid can put up 30 goals and 60+ points in nhl imo. i dont see simmonds as having that kind of offensive upside.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think Franson more than Gardiner is who made Schenn expendable.

Franson and Schenn fill the same role on the blue line. So does Komisarek, and Carlyle seemed to show more faith in Komisarek than Schenn, so that's a good indication of where Schenn was on the depth chart.

Gardiner is still a prospect. He has the speed and playmaking ability to be great, but he lacks the strength to force the play and needs to be able to fight for space against the big boys.

Rielly might quickly make Gardiner a bit of an afterthought. There are limited spots in the roster, after all.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The Leafs got good value for Schenn. No complaints from me.

This is really the point to be made.

We haven't even seen JvR in a Leafs jersey yet. Unless you want to blame trading Schenn as the cause of the lockout, there really hasn't been a moment with which to miss Schenn, or be bemused about acquiring van Riemsdyk.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sorry for being "that guy", but I can't get over the title of this thread.

"Should HAVE". ****, it's killing me. And I just had to annoy you all with how much it bugs me. Womp womp

EDIT: That's really weird... Was the title just edited as I posted this?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'm sorry for being "that guy", but I can't get over the title of this thread.

"Should HAVE". ****, it's killing me. And I just had to annoy you all with how much it bugs me. Womp womp

EDIT: That's really weird... Was the title just edited as I posted this?

Are you thinking it's a grammatical issue or are you just thinking it's too early to call on a trade?

EDIT: Nevermind. lol

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Schenn was way overpaid for what he brought to the table. Keeping him would've caused more cap problems as the years went on. With Komi and Schenn, the Leafs had over 7 million invested in one dimensional, deeply flawed, "defensive" defencemen with little to no offensive ability. JVR is a solid return. Like others, I'm more upset about Aulie but hopefully Holzer can fill in.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Unfortunately Schenn had ran his course here in Toronto. The coaching was horrible and he lost his confidence. The best thing for him was landing in Phy for a new chance and be next to his brother. Something tells me he will regain his confidence and toughness and become a much better d-man in Phy.

Schenn wasn't the problem, it was Burke's love affair with Wilson that was the problem.

And people are right, loosing Aulie was a hug mistake and Burke blundered that one. He was worth much more than A.Carter.

tpc77

Feb 25, 2010
Halifax
Unfortunately Schenn had ran his course here in Toronto. The coaching was horrible and he lost his confidence. The best thing for him was landing in Phy for a new chance and be next to his brother. Something tells me he will regain his confidence and toughness and become a much better d-man in Phy.

Schenn wasn't the problem, it was Burke's love affair with Wilson that was the problem.

And people are right, loosing Aulie was a hug mistake and Burke blundered that one. He was worth much more than A.Carter.

I was also a big fan of Aulie and think he will be a solid defender for a long time.

However, don't sell Ashton so short. He is only 21 and definitely brings long term bottom 6 potential with spot duty in the top 6 if he reaches full potential.

If you saw yesterday's Marlies game, I think we caught a glimpse of who Ashton can be for the Leafs for a long time. He won a puck battle on the boards in our own zone with his size (which is lacking with our current forwards) and broke towards the O zone fighting off a defender to the net before a low shot created the rebound goal.

It was a text book "power goal" and we need that desperately on the Leafs to compliment the likes of Kessel, Grabo etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad