Should have kept Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
JVR can absolutely be a first-line winger. He's an effective second-liner at worst. We've seen glimpses of brilliance from him, and have only scratched the surface of his potential.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
JVR can absolutely be a first-line winger. He's an effective second-liner at worst. We've seen glimpses of brilliance from him, and have only scratched the surface of his potential.

I would be interested in trying him at C on Kessel's line. If he can drive the net like he did in his stellar playoff run,that line would be truely potent on offense.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Schenn would have a tough time cracking the marlies top-4 right now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our F corps look a hell of a lot better with JVR in the top 6 then our D corps looks with Schenn.

And that pains me because i a huge Schenn fan and think he will be a solid player for years to come.

Burke did exactly what a good GM does. He traded a strength for a weakness.

The only thing Leafs have in terms if strength in goal scoring capable wingers Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, MacArthur and even prospects Frattin and Kadri..

All JVR does is make MacArthur expendable and JVR now needs to (hopefully) replace his offensive numbers to break-even offensively.

Clarke MacArthur

2010-11 - Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 82 games 21 goals 41 assists 62 points 37 pims
2011-12 - Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 73 games 20 goals 23 assists 43 points 37 pims

Leafs greatest team weaknesses is they're small, soft and weak defensively by finishing 29th overall in goals against. Luke Schenn lead all NHL defenseman in hits last year at age 22, finishing top 10 in the NHL overall. He is big, physical and comes with a defensive pedigree at draft time that made him a top 5 pick in a exceptionally strong 2008 draft.

So Leafs traded from their greatest weakness to their greatest strength. In order to make your statement true he should have made a trade the other way around that dealt a winger for a big, strong, physical stay at home defender. IMO

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The only thing Leafs have in terms if strength in goal scoring capable wingers Kessel, Lupul, Kulemin, MacArthur and even prospects Frattin and Kadri..

Leafs greatest team weaknesses is they're small, soft and weak defensively by finishing 29th overall in goals against. Luke Schenn lead all NHL defenseman in hits last year at age 22, finishing top 10 in the NHL overall. He is big, physical and comes with a defensive pedigree at draft time that made him a top 5 pick in a exceptionally strong 2008 draft.

So Leafs traded from their greatest weakness to their greatest strength. In order to make your statement true he should have made a trade the other way around that dealt a winger for a big, strong, physical stay at home defender. IMO

I'd change it to:

Big, strong, physical, mobile, stay at home defender.

I'd have been okay with Collin Wilson, and maybe Cody Hodgson.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
What pisses me off more is we moved Aulie.

IMO Aulie was moved because he played a similar game to Schenn. (not that it hurts having more then one; mean , all for the team guys) But we shoulda kept one of them.

I'd be happy saying our future of:

Rielly-Phaneuf
Aulie-Gardiner
Finn-Gunnarsson

Disappointing they just let Aulie go like that. Especially since Carter Ashton looks to be a OK, at best.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

IMO Aulie was moved because he played a similar game to Schenn. (not that it hurts having more then one; mean , all for the team guys) But we shoulda kept one of them.

Rielly-Phaneuf
Aulie-Gardiner
Finn-Gunnarsson

Disappointing they just let Aulie go like that. Especially since Carter Ashton looks to be a OK, at best.

You might get to watch Nilsson at the WJC this year. Hopefully our Golden boy gets back on the ice in January and is no worse for wear.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
We would look rather nice with Karlsson or Eberle instead of Schenn but those things happen. I liked Schenn but like others have said, he just looked nervous when he had the puck and was too slow.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
All JVR has to do is generate net traffic, and go for rebounds, regardless of what line he plays on. An aspect the Leafs have been sorely lacking of late.

This is exactly what he wouldn't do in Philadelphia. He prefers to play more of a perimeter speed game.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I dont even want to talk about our trades. I've been so unfortunate when it comes to getting Leafs Jerseys.

Cujo back in early 2000 - goes to Detroit.

Blake (don't ask) back in 2007 - traded to Anaheim

Schenn in 2011 as birthday gift - traded to Philidelphia.

I'm scared to get Leafs jerseys these days.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Rielly-Phaneuf
Aulie-Gardiner
Finn-Gunnarsson

Burke claims he wouldn't have made the Phaneuf trade without Aulie being included. Then dumped him quickly thereafter.. Leafs played they're most successful hockey down the stretch of the 2010-11 season with a strong 2nd half when Aulie was a regular.

Ron Wilson's pond hockey system that exposed defense first dmen like Aulie and Schenn, asking youngsters to play to their weakness (offense) at the expense of their strengths (defense) put them both in positions to fail rather than succeed.

Now both have been traded and with a new coach wanting to instill a defensive structure Aulie and Schenn the exact type of players that would help address the NHL 2nd worst goals against.

Expendable vets Komisarek and Liles should have been dealt and Aulie and Schenn kept. Then combined with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner and Mo Riells we could have had a nice defense for future to build upon.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Maybe I don't know enough bout JVR. Or I just really like Schenn but I kinda regret trading him. I mean we didn't give him a chance to thrive in a defensive system Carlyle will most likely bring. Plus Schenn was what I thought could be that big mean staple defense man on the second pairing. I see Reilly and Gards being our offensive 1-2 punch but it would of been nice to have Phanuef and Schenn as the mean bruiser guys. The only prospect who I think has a chance of making the nhl and being that guy is Holder and he's more of a 3rd pairing guy. But hey who knows maybe having the main mean guy being Phanuef and then having a good 2way defenseman like Blacker will be good enough.

Do you guys think JVR could be a potential #1 winger? Or do you are him being more of a really good 2nd liner.

P. S. I know he went 2nd overall, I just have/had big expectations for Schenn.

A guy like Schenn is replaceable. If anything go get a Ryan O'byrne type next summer should be fairly cheap. Big, semi Mobile, tough, stay at home type of guy, will probably make 2Million vs Schenn's 3.6.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I dont even want to talk about our trades. I've been so unfortunate when it comes to getting Leafs Jerseys.

Cujo back in early 2000 - goes to Detroit.

Blake (don't ask) back in 2007 - traded to Anaheim

Schenn in 2011 as birthday gift - traded to Philidelphia.

I'm scared to get Leafs jerseys these days.

I'll sell you a Komi jersey for 5 bucks.:naughty:

Leafs For Life*

The only reason that Burke agreed to it IMO was to make Toronto more atractive for Schultz, who would geet top 4 minutes, and play with his best friend. Now we don't have either, and need another top 4 shutdown D man.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I agree that the Aulie for Ashton trade wasn't my favourite. On the flip side, there is no room for Aulie on the Leafs. Not in the foreseeable future anyway

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Schenn had a roller coaster couple of years of development in Toronto. He made tons of hits but defensively he wasn't cutting it. I think the biggest problem he had was when he bulked up, he lost some of his speed and was exposed.

I think with experience and a couple more years under his belt he'll be fine with the Flyers but he'll still be at best a top 4 dman who scores 20-30 points a year while attempting to shut down the other team. At worst a bottom pairing dman like Komisarek.

JVR has way more untapped potential than Schenn has and is the type of winger we don't have in the system. Our offense needed to get bigger and it started with JVR. He doesn't abuse his size onto other players but he is a lot harder to knock off the puck than most of our wingers.

I still believe we traded from a position of strength for a need up front and still love the trade going forward.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
With our depth at D, Schenn was fairly easy to trade away.

There will always be talk about how he might have thrived in a Carlyle system, but then i think about what if JVR thrives in Toronto, who would i rather have? The answer is quite simple: JVR. If he managesto play to his potential, then i think he can be an amazing player, and the Leafs will have come out of this trade the clear winners.

this ^^^^

considering the amount of young defenseman the leafs have i would hardly classify trading schenn as a loss. i like the kid and think he will be a good defenseman for philly but this was a prototypical hockey trade. leafs had too many defense and philly too many wingers. also, jvr/schenn both seemed to need a change of scenery.

the leafs really had few promising forwards prior to the trade. jvr is 23 years old. he has tons of potential and is a great piece moving forward. we have nothing in our system coming up that projects to be as good as him (assuming he comes close to his potential). in contrast the leafs have gardiner, reilly who are clearly better then they have prospects like finn, percy, and holzer who all could be as good or better then schenn. they might not have his physical game but i think all three of them have a higher hockey iq and stand a decent chance of being better at the nhl level then schenn.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm glad to be rid of Schenn. The guy seems to have a very poor skillset in ratio to his popularity and it was frustrating to see all this hype and hope lavished on a guy who had the worst skating on the team and who couldn't make a routine play on a regular basis.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I'm glad to be rid of Schenn. The guy seems to have a very poor skillset in ratio to his popularity and it was frustrating to see all this hype and hope lavished on a guy who had the worst skating on the team and who couldn't make a routine play on a regular basis.

I was pretty high on Schenn especially after his first season. It looked like he had the the right mixture to possibly become a great shut down defender. He made a lot of rookie mistakes in his first year but we pushed them aside cause of his potential.

For him to succeed in the NHL he's going to have to work on his skating and agility a lot. I think the defensive hockey IQ will come with time and experience but he could be 30 by the time he's a really good at shutting teams down.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Who is Holder?

JVR has insane potential, can easily become a first line winger. Has the potential to be very, very dominant. For a guy his size, he can really skate.

Schenn is honestly awful. All he can do is finish his checks, usually on people who have already dished the puck away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad