Should have kept Schenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Maybe I don't know enough bout JVR. Or I just really like Schenn but I kinda regret trading him. I mean we didn't give him a chance to thrive in a defensive system Carlyle will most likely bring. Plus Schenn was what I thought could be that big mean staple defense man on the second pairing. I see Reilly and Gards being our offensive 1-2 punch but it would of been nice to have Phanuef and Schenn as the mean bruiser guys. The only prospect who I think has a chance of making the nhl and being that guy is Holzer and he's more of a 3rd pairing guy. But hey who knows maybe having the main mean guy being Phanuef and then having a good 2way defenseman like Blacker will be good enough.

Do you guys think JVR could be a potential #1 winger? Or do you are him being more of a really good 2nd liner.

P. S. I know he went 2nd overall, I just have/had big expectations for Schenn.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I look at it as we should have kept Aulie. But what's done is done and it's time to move forward.

People say he wasn't given a chance in Carlyle's system, but in the short time Carlyle was here there wasn't significant improvement that made me say 'wow, this is going to work for sure'. If Schenn only showed marginal improvement, his value would have plummeted in my opinion. The reasoning for this is he couldn't play in the run and gun all that effectively and only showed a little improvement with more of a defensive approach. In that case, he just isn't a very effective NHL player. Don't get me wrong, he is an NHL player, but if the situation that I just explained played out, his value wouldn't be good enough to get a player like JVR in return. I am excited about JVR. I think he will be great and at this point in time, I think we won the trade.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I love Schenn, but he didn't exactly show as much improvement under Carlyle as everyone hoped. Even Komisarek made more progress than him.

anderson3133

Apr 14, 2010
Kitchener
Should have gone to English class... :sarcasm:

I liked Schenn, loved his effort and I really was hoping everything was going to turn around for him here.

Hiring Underhill and Carlyle just screamed "let's fix Schenn" to me.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
With our depth at D, Schenn was fairly easy to trade away.

There will always be talk about how he might have thrived in a Carlyle system, but then i think about what if JVR thrives in Toronto, who would i rather have? The answer is quite simple: JVR. If he managesto play to his potential, then i think he can be an amazing player, and the Leafs will have come out of this trade the clear winners.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Should have gone to English class... :sarcasm:

I liked Schenn, loved his effort and I really was hoping everything was going to turn around for him here.

Hiring Underhill and Carlyle just screamed "let's fix Schenn" to me.

Ahh dammit, it happens :nod: and agreed. I hope one of our other defenseman can step up.

With our depth at D, Schenn was fairly easy to trade away.

There will always be talk about how he might have thrived in a Carlyle system, but then i think about what if JVR thrives in Toronto, who would i rather have? The answer is quite simple: JVR. If he managesto play to his potential, then i think he can be an amazing player, and the Leafs will have come out of this trade the clear winners.

Seems legit. I was just wondering because I hear so many different things about him.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
I like Schenn and hope he does well.

but Phaneuf, Gunnar, Reilly, Gardiner, theres your top 4.

you say holzer will "only" be a 3rd pairing guy, so Schenn for a top 6 seems fine to me.

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
I really don't think we should've. 4 seasons with us and Schenn still couldn't skate, handled the puck like a grenade,poor positioning, one of the weakest shot in NHL, minimal offensive skills..the list goes on. This is the new NHL there's no room for slow defensive d-men who can't play defense. Plus, our depth in defense made Schenn redundant. In my opinion, it was a very easy decision to trade him away. I think it was one of the better moves made by Burke.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Maybe I don't know enough bout JVR. Or I just really like Schenn but I kinda regret trading him. I mean we didn't give him a chance to thrive in a defensive system Carlyle will most likely bring. Plus Schenn was what I thought could be that big mean staple defense man on the second pairing. I see Reilly and Gards being our offensive 1-2 punch but it would of been nice to have Phanuef and Schenn as the mean bruiser guys. The only prospect who I think has a chance of making the nhl and being that guy is Holder and he's more of a 3rd pairing guy. But hey who knows maybe having the main mean guy being Phanuef and then having a good 2way defenseman like Blacker will be good enough.

Do you guys think JVR could be a potential #1 winger? Or do you are him being more of a really good 2nd liner.

P. S. I know he went 2nd overall, I just have/had big expectations for Schenn.

JVR doesn't need to be a #1 winger. See that guy in your photo? the one wearing #81? he's got that covered. All JVR has to do is mesh with grabovoski

Kyle Doobas*

Step #1 to establishing an effective defensive system: relinquish s**t defensemen.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
The scenario that sees rejecting JVR to keep L.Schenn is one that reveals a kind of bias that warrants firing.

And...Who is "Should" and where is "kept Schenn", Precious?

:sarcasm: Couldn't resist.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
JVR doesn't need to be a #1 winger. See that guy in your photo? the one wearing #81? he's got that covered. All JVR has to do is mesh with grabovoski

All JVR has to do is generate net traffic, and go for rebounds, regardless of what line he plays on. An aspect the Leafs have been sorely lacking of late.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Our F corps look a hell of a lot better with JVR in the top 6 then our D corps looks with Schenn.

And that pains me because i a huge Schenn fan and think he will be a solid player for years to come.

Burke did exactly what a good GM does. He traded a strength for a weakness.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Schenn for JVR was an across the board trade.

Just like Aulie for Ashton.

Aulie and Ashton will probably be fringe NHLers.

Schenn will probably never be more than a #4 defenseman...and JVR is realistically probably no better than a 2nd or 3rd liner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Our F corps look a hell of a lot better with JVR in the top 6 then our D corps looks with Schenn.

And that pains me because i a huge Schenn fan and think he will be a solid player for years to come.

Burke did exactly what a good GM does. He traded a strength for a weakness.

That is half my take.

It pained me for years because I was not a Schenn fan, and never liked the pick, especially since it was a 7th. overall and 2nd. and 3rd. rounder to land him. Without Pierre hyping him as the Human Eraser, I doubt he'd have received half the support he did. Perhaps he'll flourish in Flyerland, but that would be fine with me.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Schenn for JVR was an across the board trade.

Just like Aulie for Ashton.

Aulie and Ashton will probably be fringe NHLers.

Schenn will probably never be more than a #4 defenseman...and JVR is realistically probably no better than a 2nd or 3rd liner.

So the jist of what your saying is that 4 21-23 year olds will never progress anymore then what they have?

Sounds about right. /sarcasm

I looked it up and didn't realize how young Ashton still is. Lot's of room to grow. Could still be an effective 3rd liner with his skill. That's something we could really use.

Fearless Leaf*

I like Schenn, I don't think he is fully developed yet. He also does have two big flaws in his game at the moment, his skating isn't good at all and his decision making in particular is also lacking. If he can improve on those aspect as well as his consistency, he will be a great player.

I am actually okay with the trade because the idea of getting a player of JVR's calibre isn't something to scoop at. He obviously hasn't panned out yet as Flyers expected but if you really look around at all angles, you can see how injuries have bugged his young career, he hasn't been given much opportunity and ice-time. When I looked at his stats from last year, he was doing fairly well in the first 25 games or so before he got injured, and after he came back from injuries, he stats fell off. I think with full health and recovery and better opportunities at hand, JVR will flourish here.

Now that we have abundance of good wingers, We can always make another trade from position of strength to a position of need to make up for the loss of losing a Schenn type of player.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Couldn't agree more.

I know, i mean i like Schenn...but the guy is super slow on skates. Gets beat to both the inside and out. Now...is JVR the be all end all? I don't know...but to me Schenn needed to be traded. As much as an old dog like me hates to admit it...today's NHL calls for faster PMD and even the shutdown guys MUST have speed. The days of the slower big hitter are gone. I think in Philly's system Schenn should come around, but they will need to pair him with a security blanket to bail him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad