Speculation: Should Army trade away Jake Allen @ off-season?

Should Army trade away Allen at off-season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg

Alrighty then. I have been sipping bourbon. I want to get away from this ride, but my understanding of goaltending is limited to goalies are voodoo.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What do people think about something centering around Allen for Craig Anderson? Supplement and even out however you want, but we get one year less term on a shaky asset, and more defined timeline and path for Husso, and they get a lottery ticket that might matter for them when it counts.
The only enjoyable thing about Anderson is when he gets scored on, hes frozen like a statue

Reactions: 67Blues

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The only enjoyable thing about Anderson is when he gets scored on, hes frozen like a statue

I’m just trying to reduce the window of disappointing goaltending while finishing off a bottle, folks.

I don’t see many options to get away from it this summer, but the best play is probably to have the discipline to unload during the next hot streak, should it be fortunate enough to come early enough.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
There are options.

1) Jake Allen, Vlad Sobotka, Jake Walman to NYI for Anders Lee, Thomas Greiss, 2018 2nd

2) Resign Hutton

3) NYI 2nd + Evan Fitzpatrick to WAS for Philipp Grubauer.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Grubauer is 100% the guy I would target. I think he's the best realistic option available, and he's young enough that he still has potential. And he now has Cup winning experience. ;)

I don't put much stock into what he did in a couple playoff games - small sample size. I mean, Halak was supposed to be a God after his playoffs with Montreal...

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
There are options.

1) Jake Allen, Vlad Sobotka, Jake Walman to NYI for Anders Lee, Thomas Greiss, 2018 2nd

2) Resign Hutton

3) NYI 2nd + Evan Fitzpatrick to WAS for Philipp Grubauer.

Lee just scored 40 goals and is on a team friendly contract. I’m struggling to come up with a reason why the Isles would trade him in a package for a head case goalie and a bunch of spare parts.

Reactions: 67Blues

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Grubauer is 100% the guy I would target. I think he's the best realistic option available, and he's young enough that he still has potential. And he now has Cup winning experience. ;)

I don't put much stock into what he did in a couple playoff games - small sample size. I mean, Halak was supposed to be a God after his playoffs with Montreal...

To be fair, Halak never really got a chance to show us if he had another playoff performance in him. He was hurt in game 2 vs San Jose in 2012. He was replaced by Elliott pretty much every year and Hitch wouldn't ever swap them for whatever reason.

Grubauer would be interesting but I'd like to see Husso and Allen with Husso slowly pushing Allen out.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Lee just scored 40 goals and is on a team friendly contract. I’m struggling to come up with a reason why the Isles would trade him in a package for a head case goalie and a bunch of spare parts.

Lee is rumored to be available along with Eberle. NYI are looking for goaltending and D. I see Allen as an upgrade in net for NYI and Walman as a good D prospect. I posted it as an example in response to a previous poster who said he doesn't see many options this summer . I think Allen has trade value, despite popular opinion among St. Louis fans, and would be a target for any team looking for goaltending including NYI or CAR. You also overlooked Greiss at 3.33M for 2 years is coming back to STL in the deal as a pure cap dump for NYI.

To be fair, Halak never really got a chance to show us if he had another playoff performance in him. He was hurt in game 2 vs San Jose in 2012. He was replaced by Elliott pretty much every year and Hitch wouldn't ever swap them for whatever reason.

Grubauer would be interesting but I'd like to see Husso and Allen with Husso slowly pushing Allen out.
Having Husso backup Allen next season would be a mistake. Let Husso carry the load in San Antonio.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Having Husso backup Allen next season would be a mistake. Let Husso carry the load in San Antonio.

You have to eventually do something with them though. You can't keep stashing goalies in the minors. If you pick up Grubauer, either Allen has to go or you're going to be spending too much on goalies. Why would it be a mistake to have Husso up? Who says he's going to be backing up Allen? Maybe he'll push Allen or just outright steal the job, ala Matt Murray.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You have to eventually do something with them though. You can't keep stashing goalies in the minors. If you pick up Grubauer, either Allen has to go or you're going to be spending too much on goalies. Why would it be a mistake to have Husso up? Who says he's going to be backing up Allen? Maybe he'll push Allen or just outright steal the job, ala Matt Murray.

Assuming Grubaeur makes $3 mil next year (which is probably high), that would be $7.1 mil tied up in goalies, which would put us a little below average of what teams spend on their goalie tandem. That's absolutely not spending too much on your goalies. It would be less than ideal, but it absolutely is doable, especially if the plan is to move on from whichever of those two loses the job after a year.

Reactions: Dbrownss

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Husso still needs experience. He's not ready. He'd be better off getting the majority of starts in the AHL over backup duty in the NHL. That's my opinion.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Lee is rumored to be available along with Eberle. NYI are looking for goaltending and D. I see Allen as an upgrade in net for NYI and Walman as a good D prospect. I posted it as an example in response to a previous poster who said he doesn't see many options this summer . I think Allen has trade value, despite popular opinion among St. Louis fans, and would be a target for any team looking for goaltending including NYI or CAR. You also overlooked Greiss at 3.33M for 2 years is coming back to STL in the deal as a pure cap dump for NYI.

Allen may not have totally negative trade value, but he certainly doesn’t have nearly the value to bring back a 40 goal scorer. It’s not really even close.

Greiss is a very meh option coming. That’s a push at best in my opinion.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Allen may not have totally negative trade value, but he certainly doesn’t have nearly the value to bring back a 40 goal scorer. It’s not really even close.

Greiss is a very meh option coming. That’s a push at best in my opinion.
Taking back Greiss in the deal has value. I don't want him but it makes the deal easier to manage for NYI. I'd just as easily accept Eberle in a deal. Same situation with 1 year left. The only difference is that Eberle had chemistry with Barzal last year which NYI may want to keep in-tact whereas Lee was planted on Tavares line who as we all know is signing as a FA with the Blues on July 1. Duh!

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
wow people want to replace allen with GREISS? LMAO i guess some of you really want to go full rebuild during 91/27/17 prime years huh.

why dont we bring back Halak while we are at it. jake sucked last year but so did everyone not named schenn and hutton. team has alot to prove this year, not just allen.

Reactions: Dbrownss

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
wow people want to replace allen with GREISS? LMAO i guess some of you really want to go full rebuild during 91/27/17 prime years huh.

why dont we bring back Halak while we are at it. jake sucked last year but so did everyone not named schenn and hutton. team has alot to prove this year, not just allen.
Read the origin of Greiss being mentioned. I'd take his contract as a sweetener in the proposed deal to get Anders Lee from NYI. Buy him out or bury him in the minors for all I care.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
The only trade that you can make with Allen that doesn't cost anything is to take someone else's broken goalie who may be more expensive and/or longer term. All that does is either make the problem longer or more expensive. You roll with Allen and use this as the transitional year to get Husso 25 or so games. Next year you roll out a 1A/1B scheme, with hopefully Husso getting at least 40 starts. Allen serves as a backup his last year.

And who knows, maybe Allen has hit rock bottom finally and he works all summer to regain his...nah, who am I kidding. :laugh:

gimme dat lundqvist

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
How ironic/Bluesy would it be to trade Allen to NYI at the draft and that acquisition sway JT to stay on Long Island :laugh:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Goaltending is such a crapshoot. a few months ago the Caps fanbase was asking for a trade to get a good goaltender. I guess they found it.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
When it comes to the Yo Yo Allen -- Army should call GM Martin Brodeur and have him take full responsibility to decide to trade him or hire a goalie tutor / trainer / psychologist / motivational guru for Jake. After all Brodeur knows how to push the right Jake buttons. Marty knows Jake's personality. Jake has the potential but you never know when he will blow or show for the next big game. Army needs to delegate the goalies to a very qualified Assistant GM. And if Marty says trade then trade we must.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When it comes to the Yo Yo Allen -- Army should call GM Martin Brodeur and have him take full responsibility to decide to trade him or hire a goalie tutor / trainer / psychologist / motivational guru for Jake. After all Brodeur knows how to push the right Jake buttons. Marty knows Jake's personality. Jake has the potential but you never know when he will blow or show for the next big game. Army needs to delegate the goalies to a very qualified Assistant GM. And if Marty says trade then trade we must.
He did, the goalie coach was signed off on by Brodeur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad