Post-Game Talk: Shooting Stars, Jets win 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Don’t forget Connor’s beauty dish on Scheif’s second goal. Haven’t seen that pretty of an apple in some time

That was absolutely outstanding -- it's like he had mind-melded with Ehlers languishing up in the PB and their skills had become as one...

I'm watching everything on catch-up now and missing the... erm, unique camaraderie of the GDTs, but that was easily one of the best Jets games of the past few years, reminiscent of those glory days when a young Jets team on the rise just starting to turn the corner found their game in a heady burn of speed, skill and crushing pressure that wore teams down and opened them up for the surgical snipes of a lethal top 9 and D.

We don't quite have that roster anymore, of course, but we do have a few of the league's best wingers in their prime and a star in the making in Perfetti, and the combo of speed, skill and size now in the bottom 6, even with Barron out, makes this team very hard to play against when they're dug in.

55 has been absolutely dominant, PLD has played very well in support, KFC finally remembered how to dangle at precisely the right time and JMo has been playing maybe the best hockey of his career -- he is offering a free masterclass on how a non-gigantic modern PMD can dictate play all over the ice. Heinola should take a few days to watch JMo game tape and then get back to work.

Honourable mentions to Gus for yet another terrifically calm and efficient game, The Big Sak for his first in years and to Dillon, Apples and Perfetti for strong games, along with mercifully quietish showings for Pionk and Schmitty. Harkins played an uptempo version of his best game -- a whole lot of of disruption and various instances of close and no cigar.

Axel F is an absolute demon on the PK and forechecks like a combination of ELC Tanev and Samson before his haircut.

Helle was... Helle.

Samberg looked rough early but slowed things down -- but I think this is pretty much what we have in him. Wheeler had some terrific and committed forechecks to make up for some worryingly consistent grenade-bobbling work with the puck. DeMelo is a fine defensive D -- if that's all he ever is, that's enough.

That was just a great, great game. May there be many more, and may a few of them be played in the daytime...

Chapeau à tout/es!

1668003935625.png

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Don’t forget Connor’s beauty dish on Scheif’s second goal. Haven’t seen that pretty of an apple in some time
Or apples 🍎 on the first!

Is funny how some people will continue to downplay the Jets wins:

They played their backup
They played like shit

Maybe Dallas just couldn't handle what the Jets were bringing?

That was the most complete effort I've seen from this team in years.

Every player looked like they new what their job was and they were laser focused on doing it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I had the Jets sort of in the same tier as Dallas in the offseason.... Just didn't know it would be atop the division. We returned the favor this game from earlier in the year.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The fact we are winning and playing well and Connor isn't scoring AND no Ehlers is unreal. Connor starts scoring and we get Ehlers back we just got to be a very formidable team. :nod:
I really really hope they move Connor with PLD when Fly comes back. I know that overall the first line looks good but it just makes sense. I think 91 55 27 could be scary AF

I think Samberg was the Jets best D according to Fancy stats
Haha I had a huge guffaw on that. I know that those stats are to be taken with a grain of salt in small sample sizes but they are really illustrating the huge flaws with the science behind those metrics by trying to sell us that.

I'm a big Samberg supporter but his first 30 or so minutes of that game were atrocious.
It seems like he has no confidence in himself and is playing unsure and timid.
Having said that, I'd leave him in.
yeah I think he might just have a bit of rust as it's been a while for him. I feel like he'll be fine. The problem for him is he better figure it out quick because Capobianco represented himself admirably in his game and I don't think the team will give Snerg a long string of games if he can't sort it out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Shows how highlights don't tell the story because I agree with some other posters that he had some noticeable gaffes - I think they didn't end up resulting in a good chance (or a shot on goal in a couple of cases) so they don't show on the fancy stats sheet.
A good lesson on how these dashboards are practically useless on a game by game basis. The data being use is so polluted there's no way to garner much of anything from them.

It's funny because the fancy stats community rails against +/- due to the imperfections with measurement, yet they seem to herald stuff like this that is in some cases worse.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I love the new jacket thing, and it seems to be working, but I have a very important question: Aren't those things going to get pretty gross over time with different players wearing it after the game? :laugh: Like at game 82 do you even want to put that thing on? Hockey stank is nasty.🤢

Maybe they dry-clean those things...

I wouldn't be surprised if they had multiple jackets that they periodically rotate and dry clean.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Scheifele has been so much more involved this year. Love that the 4th line actually plays. And before anybody says it, no, it's not because they're that much better than they were the past x years.

Dallas is still mostly a one line team. They scored ~50% of Dallas' goals last year and they were the only line that felt threatening against the Jets last night.

Samberg had a couple gaffes, but apart from his first game of the season I've felt like he's been the Jets best defensive defenseman pretty much every game. Guy plays simple and is effective. Could have a solid Anton Stralman like career. I feel like his gaffes for the most part are just normal adjustments to a higher tempo. His game without the puck is very mature.

Morrissey looks like a star this year. The aggressive defense style suits him a lot better than the "sit back and let them come at you" style.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Bottom 6 is looking great. Harkins is a hound and it's very encouraging that Bowness saw him as the better option over Toninato so quickly.

With things working well the way that they are, maybe Bowness builds another scoring line around Ehlers when him and Barron are back? Have a less noted offensive player on each of the 3 scoring lines a la Appleton, spread the top 6 over 3 lines, then when offensive is needed stack the top 6.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Once the analytics and HFboards-darling Ehlers comes back, everything will be enhanced. More problems than not will be solved. He drives a line like nobody's business; everyone has to carry Kyle Connor. No one is better than "exiting the defensive zone" and "entering the offensive zone" than Ehlers. Most underrated Jet, Ehlers.

He never disappears for long stretches of time, he's a phenominal two-way player, he's an excellent playoff performer, he'll someday crack the 30 goal and 70 point barrier; he's not just another blend of Pat Elyniuk and Nelson Emerson.

We're in Year 8 with him, it's time for all of the pretenders to get out of the way, and let Ehlers reach his full potential.

I'd love to see Ehlers drive that Scheifele/Perfetti line; 3 centers. Ehlers is so good in the trenches, along the board, doing all the little things necessary to winning. Dropping the gloves every 2nd year, taking dives every other game, the things that produce winning ways.

The guy's phenominal!

None

Feb 22, 2012
Sawyer: "And that one wouldn't have counted unless it hit Wedgewood first"

That's not correct. How does he not know the rules of the game by now?

I'm sure he does understand that anything that went in off a Jets high stick is going to get called back. There was a bit of hesitation before he continued talking after that where I think he probably realized what he said.

I just don't think he even thinks for a second before he starts talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad