Series Talk: Sheldon Keefe: in memoriam

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He’s been out coached every year in the playoffs, so I don’t know we can say that. Sure he can coach, just not at the NHL level to be considered “pretty good”.
Hard to coach a team who LOSES 18-3 on puck takeaways and 20someting to 6 on loose puck races .. how do you coach guys who either can't skate fast enough to get da pucks or don't want to get into any contact for that puck .. to me that says it all .. that my friend is not coaching it is recruiting

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lou the same guy who 'tossed in' Verhaeghe to open a roster spot that he didnt use, in a trade for an AHL backup goalie. ...that Lou?
the same Lou that gave Zaitsev 5/per, that Lou?
the same Lou that continually overpays bottom 6 players more than any other team in the league, that Lou?
the same Lou who's team is out of the playoffs while having one of the best defenses, and goalies, that Lou?
yep that's the one

Such a "Dubite" to ignore the results of the teams and focus on the few moves that you didn't like.

BTW, you forgot the staple of the anti Lou argument - Marleau's 3rd year :laugh:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This same team and same core didn’t give up two weeks ago even when down 4-1 with 10 mins left. Where is that team now? That’s the question.
We can go to pick battles, hits, bounces… but the truth is that they didn’t give up whole series and that happened less than two weeks ago.
Could be coaching or the players or both. That’s the most frustrating part as fans. We can still be down 3-0 if the boys played their hearts out and be less piss about it. It is the manners that they are displaying that pisses us off. Pretty sure they know that too.

Reactions: CincoHolio

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
It's ok he'll be gone missing much like dekes and Zeke very soon

Most of these dudes are just guys that have premium subscriptions to hockey analytics stuff and need dubas to be right
Yup. I use a certain function here so I don’t see some posters but the other you’re talking to is just a kid fyi. That’s why they are so confused.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This same team and same core didn’t give up two weeks ago even when down 4-1 with 10 mins left. Where is that team now? That’s the question.
We can go to pick battles, hits, bounces… but the truth is that they didn’t give up whole series and that happened less than two weeks ago.
Could be coaching or the players or both. That’s the most frustrating part as fans. We can still be down 3-0 if the boys played their hearts out and be less piss about it. It is the manners that they are displaying that pisses us off. Pretty sure they know that too.
They did their job and got a round win so they are done

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
They did their job and got a round win so they are done
1683667009140.jpeg

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Don't believe they gave up or pushed harder in the last 10 mins. They still did their thing. It was more like the TB stopped playing.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Gary Roberts would be unreal, but I highly doubt he has any interest in coaching.

Peter Laviolette is probably the best option currently available.
Love the Gary Roberts idea...he would be something else....

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don't believe they gave up or pushed harder in the last 10 mins. They still did their thing. It was more like the TB stopped playing.
They pushed back harder and didn’t give up. Kind of see that in Game 1 and some moments in game 2 but definitely not Game 3.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hoping Tampa feels it's time for a change.

Keefe will get a job again based on his regular season record. He'll sink or swim in his next stop though, I'd bet on sink.
Only team that will hire him are teams willing to tank. His playoff results are putrid. Columbus beat us in play in, Montreal, came back and beat us from 3-1. Tampa best us a and now possibly swept by Florida. Leafs didn't even look good in those games..

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Darryl Sutter please. Need a taskmaster that will truly ripple the culture causing the blue and white disease to prosper.

The TikTok Trio will beg to be traded and I'll be glad to see them go.

Keefe will continue to be a great regular season coach for a veteran team without a rotten immature core. That obviously won't be here due to said spoiled milk core boys and Captain Roboto.
LOL, living in Calgary, Sutter is not the answer to anyones coaching issues.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I was at the game. The entire game was broken passes and hemmed into our own end. Heck Matthews tip goal was a broken play.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
At this point ride Woll. Hes the goalie of the future and getting this experience will help next playoffs.
Woll is only like 1.5 years younger than Samsonov. I am not sure why he would be considered the future when Samsonov has had quite a bit more success at the NHL level.

I am not saying this as a shot at you, or saying I dislike Woll. But I have heard this notion from a few people that Woll is the future when Samsonov is basically the same age.

Reactions: Buds17

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Woll is only like 1.5 years younger than Samsonov. I am not sure why he would be considered the future when Samsonov has had quite a bit more success at the NHL level.

I am not saying this as a shot at you, or saying I dislike Woll. But I have heard this notion from a few people that Woll is the future when Samsonov is basically the same age.
Samsonov was already given up on by Washington. He has flashes but he also has flaws... Rebound control, positioning, he loses his net, he lets in occasional stinkers. I'd be surprised if he became a 1A goalie. Woll already has a more calming presence in net and has excellent rebound control.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I was at the game. The entire game was broken passes and hemmed into our own end. Heck Matthews tip goal was a broken play.
The point is that they never gave up and kept playing and generating chances. They hadn’t been doing that. It is not about bounces going their way but more to do with not giving up the next goal and hoping to score the next one. That’s the attitude that I don’t see in the last game and to some extend Game 2 in the series too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Goalies are hard to peg. They aren’t like skaters from age 18-25. Some do start off early but some don’t come into their own until 27 or more.
Bottom line we have nothing to lose, might as well see what he’s got. If he shows any type of promise, a tandem of Samsonov/Woll next year could be decent. Dump the Murray contract and then focus on a younger, faster D in front of them.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
Samsonov was already given up on by Washington. He has flashes but he also has flaws... Rebound control, positioning, he loses his net, he lets in occasional stinkers. I'd be surprised if he became a 1A goalie. Woll already has a more calming presence in net and has excellent rebound control.
I personally thought he was pretty good this year overall. Samsonov was like top 7-8 for goalie metrics league wide. If Woll can become better than him that would be quite the goalie, probably one of the best in the league! I wouldn't say no to that.

Goalies are hard to peg. They aren’t like skaters from age 18-25. Some do start off early but some don’t come into their own until 27 or more.
Bottom line we have nothing to lose, might as well see what he’s got. If he shows any type of promise, a tandem of Samsonov/Woll next year could be decent. Dump the Murray contract and then focus on a younger, faster D in front of them.
Oh for sure, goaltending is one of the toughest things in the NHL to predict. I just think its crazy to write off Samsonov when hes not old himself and has already shown quite a bit in the NHL to this date is all. I think a tandem of Somsonov/Woll has been expected since Woll has come up to the NHL and played as well as he has the last few months.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I personally thought he was pretty good this year overall. Samsonov was like top 7-8 for goalie metrics league wide. If Woll can become better than him that would be quite the goalie, probably one of the best in the league! I wouldn't say no to that.

Oh for sure, goaltending is one of the toughest things in the NHL to predict. I just think its crazy to write off Samsonov when hes not old himself and has already shown quite a bit in the NHL to this date is all. I think a tandem of Somsonov/Woll has been expected since Woll has come up to the NHL and played as well as he has the last few months.
Then retool by building from the net out next year. Have a good look at Timmins/Lily, if you have to move on from a forward to obtain a solid 25 + minute D, do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad