Series Talk: Sheldon Keefe: in memoriam

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This idea that teams will be clamouring for Keefe, I’m not so sure about that one.

He doesn’t have any gravitas, he isn’t inspiring, he‘s a meat and potatoes grunt type of coach who doesn’t have the stones to demand more.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
100% Keefe needs to be fired, he's failed to establish what the optimum lineup is for this group of players. He still does not know who should be playing with who, in game #94?!!

Wasted 5 years of prime core with some inexperienced coach who's learning on the job. One of Dubas' worst blunders IMO, needs to be fixed pronto.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good winning percentage in the regular season but when it came time for the playoffs no coach has done less with the talent he’s had at his disposal. 4 years of playoff failures needs to result in some accountability here.
He got outcoached by Dominic Ducharme who is probably working at a St. Hubert in some small Quebec town right now

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
HIs mishandling of Nylander should have been enough to get him fired a long time ago.
He's also done a poor job of developing young players on the cusp. Liljegren, Timmins, Sandin never really had his trust and have stalled in development now or are gone in Sandin's case. Dermott fizzled out too and got moved (also had a bunch of injury issues). Johnsson and Kapaneb too fell off the Earth, and it's weird because Keefe coached all these guys in the Marlies with their Calder cup run. Holmberg, McMann and others have had a cup of coffee and then were sent back down.

This is not the guy you want being a big part of the program. It's important to get the best of your stars but also bring up and develop the players who can support them.

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
I've saw enough. All the criticism of the core it's his job to get more out of them. Losing to Montreal , Columbus. and now Flotida is just not acceptable.

The Leafs best option in net was Woll. When Sammy lost the first game the net should have been Wolls

I also would have dressed Simmons. I know the past with penalties but when you going to war you need some kind of defense of teans taking shots at our players with no response from us. You can't expect Schenn to do it all.
Was the Woll and Simmons call Dubas or Keefe. The whole core with the exception of Rielly look like they were playing scared.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It’s not even on Keefe. It’s on this core. He’ll get canned and be the scapegoat only for the same shit to happen again.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It's on the players and coach IMO. Think of when the raptors canned Dwayne Casey and Derozan.
I agree that moves need to be made to both.
But if we can Keefe and run it back with the same core, it’s gonna be another disaster.

This core is never going to win. They don’t have what it takes.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Let's be honest here it's not a matter of whether Keefe will be fired, the conversation should be whether he'll coach in the NHL ever again.

He's been absolutely owned by every opposing coach in every playoff series he's coached in. His inability to adapt has been a huge problem and it has wasted the window that we had with the core 4.

New coach wishlist:
*Experienced veteran
*Not a candy ass, must be able to hold players accountable
*Does not need to be best buds with the GM
*Must love bag skates
So... he gets fired for not being able to do what other coaches were not able to do : which is to get Matthews and Marner to perform when the chips are down. Right.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It’s not even on Keefe. It’s on this core. He’ll get canned and be the scapegoat only for the same shit to happen again.
Exactly.

They're too scared of the 3 losers making $11M / year, so they fire the coach. Well, that's typical.

imagine we kept Nylander as a center all these years
He is the most clutch of the Big 4 - by a country mile.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When I coined the catch phrase " Never say never to a Paul Maurice coached team" it had a different meaning when Paul was our Leafs coach.

Now Maurice coached his Panthers to an easy 4-1 series win against the Keefe and the heavily favoured Leafs and "never say never" had the opposite effect as initially intended.

Its too bad that we couldn't flip coaches and have Maurice behind our bench again.

Sadly I guess the new phrase is " Always say always to a Sheldon Keefe coached team".

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Exactly.

They're too scared of the 3 losers making $11M / year, so they can the coach.

Too his credit, he is the most clutch of the Big 4 - by a country mile.
Core is changing also, there's different threads for that. This is a fire Keefe thread.
Both scenarios are happening

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When I coined the catch phrase " Never say never to a Paul Maurice coached team" it had a different meaning when Paul was our Leafs coach.

Now Maurice coached his Panthers to an easy 4-1 series win against the Keefe and the heavily favoured Leafs and "never say never" had the opposite effect as initially intended.

It too bad that we couldn't flip coaches and have Maurice behind our bench again.

Sadly I guess the new phrase is " Always say always to a Sheldon Keefe coached team".

Maurice has literally never won the Cup and has the most losses of any coach... yes let's flip coaches.

Great analysis Mess, like usual.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sheldon Keefe entered this years playoffs with a winning % of .421 based on 8 wins and 11 losses.

After going 5 wins - 6 losses his new playoff winning % =.433 [13 wins in 30 games]

How can you possibly believe you're a Cup contender when you have a coach < .500 winning hockey in the playoffs?

For years he struggled to win even 4 playoff games in a season, and now he finally won 5 games in a single season, and that is being viewed as an achievement.

I think we have seen enough here to form a rather easily conclusion that Leafs deserve a much more qualified coach behind the Leafs bench.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I agree that moves need to be made to both.
But if we can Keefe and run it back with the same core, it’s gonna be another disaster.

This core is never going to win. They don’t have what it takes.

Guys that need to go, Tavares but NMC so I'll exclude him

Keefe
Marner
Holl
Kerfoot
Giordano

We need a legit top 6 power forward, I've been running through the entire leagues rosters and I can't find 1 that's available. Tom Wilson is the only guy I see, Marner would be a massive overpayment, it would have to be some sort of package deal. Wilson + maybe Strome ? for Marner. Strome looks like a decent 2C, we lose our top line winger but add some much needed grit/depth/size.

Ideally I'd like a guy with more offensive talent than Wilson but I don't know if there's anyone available. Or even a big physical top pairing D, but who's even out there ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad