Series Talk: Sheldon Keefe: in memoriam

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Let's be honest here it's not a matter of whether Keefe will be fired, the conversation should be whether he'll coach in the NHL ever again.

He's been absolutely owned by every opposing coach in every playoff series he's coached in. His inability to adapt has been a huge problem and it has wasted the window that we had with the core 4.

New coach wishlist:
*Experienced veteran
*Not a candy ass, must be able to hold players accountable
*Does not need to be best buds with the GM
*Must love bag skates

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's be honest here it's not a matter of whether Keefe will be fired, the conversation should be whether he'll coach in the NHL ever again.

He's been absolutely owned by every opposing coach in every playoff series he's coached in. His inability to adapt has been a huge problem and it has wasted the window that we had with the core 4.

New coach wishlist:
*Experienced veteran
*Must love bag skates
Gallant and Quennville are available although rumor is Quennville to NYR.

Reactions: geo25 and Dragao6

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This guy has the motivational factor and charisma of the Michelin man. Can't wait until this loser is gone. Wish the Leafs could back up a dump truck of money to Jon Cooper or Rod's house and convince them to join.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

New coach wishlist:
*Experienced veteran
*Must love bag skates
Would the Leafs go after Q?

I feel like they wouldn't because of PR reasons.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Hard to coach when your best players disappear, but he’s been completely cowed by those soft players. He knows that he’s lower in the pecking order than Matthews and Marner, so he’s never criticized them. Can’t have a soft coach.

He’ll probably learn this lesson and coach again in the league. If Dallas Ekins can get a second job, Keefe will. Best of luck to him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd love Q here but I don't think MLSE wants to deal with the baggage. Gallant is a very interesting option.
If not for getting fired in year 2 by NYR, I'd go with Gallant in a heartbeat. I'd need to know what that was all about before making any decision. Would be great if the Pens hired Dubas and he replaced Sullivan with Keefe.

Reactions: geo25

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I think the sensible options would be: Laviolette, Quenneville and Sullivan.

Why's that you ask? Good question; They've won the Cup.

In any sensible hire, I think you'd have to ask their opinion on the core. There's enough information out there to assess needs. It would have to be as serious a conversation as any critical patient has ever had with his surgeon.

And we'd have to face the reality that perhaps, accomplished coaches might not want anything to do with Toronto.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Keefe has been outcoached, and the core has fallen silent again. I am looking forward to the retool. It would be nice to have some players who show up, actually care and have pride in wearing this jersey.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Keefe should have never had this gift wrapped.

I consider the majority of Dubas failures link directly to Keefe. First handing it to him on a silver platter despite being a non NHL experience coach, then refusing to fire him after multiple playoff losses.

He should have been gone after Columbus, but it was insane he remained after losing to Montreal.

I don’t care where he goes or what he does, I don’t want to hear his name in Toronto anymore, and he can take his boy toy Hollsy with him….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad