Value of: Shea Weber to TOR

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
If Montreal is seriously looking to rebuild, I'd rather we trade our assets and one of Marner/Nylander on Price. By the time Montreal is ready to compete again, he'll probably be around 35 years old.
Did you know Price has a contract extension :popcorn:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Obviously. What does that have to do with what I said?

Why in the hell would you want a goalie earning 10.5 million a season, until he's 38 years old? No keeper is worth that. You can get a quality keeper locked up for 5-6 million per year. No upgrade on a keeper is worth another ~5 million on top of that. I wouldn't touch Price. He's an excellent keeper, but not worth it on that contract. I honestly don't think you can win a cup with 15% of your cap locked up in one goaltender.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Why in the hell would you want a goalie earning 10.5 million a season, until he's 38 years old? No keeper is worth that. You can get a quality keeper locked up for 5-6 million per year. No upgrade on a keeper is worth another ~5 million on top of that. I wouldn't touch Price. He's an excellent keeper, but not worth it on that contract. I honestly don't think you can win a cup with 15% of your cap locked up in one goaltender.
My previous post I mentioned retained salary. Besides if that's what puts the Leafs over the top for a Cup or two, no complaints here.

But something tells me price has been a product of the system that plays infront of him to a certain degree.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
My previous post I mentioned retained salary. Besides if that's what puts the Leafs over the top for a Cup or two, no complaints here.

I don't think Montreal is retaining a cent on an 8 year contract. The upgrade from Price to Anderson isn't worth it for an extra 5 million, not even close. Assets and money should be spent on your defense. Anderson is a good keeper, you have a superstar forward, and a great cast up front around him. I honestly think acquiring Price would be idiocy for the Leafs, and would hurt the team overall more than it would help them.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I don't think Montreal is retaining a cent on an 8 year contract. The upgrade from Price to Anderson isn't worth it for an extra 5 million, not even close. Assets and money should be spent on your defense. Anderson is a good keeper, you have a superstar forward, and a great cast up front around him. I honestly think acquiring Price would be idiocy for the Leafs, and would hurt the team overall more than it would help them.
Read my edit. We retained on the Kessel trade, so it's not unheard of. For the record I'm happy with our team just the way it is.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
If Montreal is seriously looking to rebuild, I'd rather we trade our assets and one of Marner/Nylander on Price. By the time Montreal is ready to compete again, he'll probably be around 35 years old.

Someone got into the Christmas liquor early this year...

Hold on, you would trade one of Marner/Nylander for Price? That's completely insane, even if Montreal retained up to 4 million a year. Anderson+Marner/Nylander is far more valuable.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think Shea Weber would provide the Leafs with the offense they need. They don't have that true offensive yet good all-round dman. Reilly skates smooth and Gardiner can bring the moves sometimes but neither is consistent or good enough on the PP or in the same tier as the best offensive dmen in the league.

Tyson Barrie's the guy the Leafs have to go for imo (eventually, not this year). He did look like crap last year but he's been the Avs best dman now and his defensive issues are less glaring plus Babcock would probably shore those up even more and he's great at getting points despite not looking like he has a great shot or a great PP pass.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
I don't think Shea Weber would provide the Leafs with the offense they need. They don't have that true offensive yet good all-round dman. Reilly skates smooth and Gardiner can bring the moves sometimes but neither is consistent or good enough on the PP or in the same tier as the best offensive dmen in the league.

Tyson Barrie's the guy the Leafs have to go for imo (eventually, not this year). He did look like crap last year but he's been the Avs best dman now and his defensive issues are less glaring plus Babcock would probably shore those up even more and he's great at getting points despite not looking like he has a great shot or a great PP pass.

The powerplay is literally the least of our concerns.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

But something tells me price has been a product of the system that plays infront of him to a certain degree.

Most goalies are. Its a team game afterall.

If i were a new goalie id want to sign with a trap minded team

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Marner is as much a 4th liner as Galchenyuk is. And everyone knows neither of them are.

I don't know about that.If you check out the board Galchenyuk on the 4th line = 4th liner but Marner on the 4th line =1st liner. So as long as Marner plays on the 4th line he's a 4th liner just like Galchenyuk

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You go to every thread and say Marner is a fourth liner. He would be your team's best player.

Well like the rest of HF board ,if a guy is demoted down to the 4th line then he's a 4th liner.Not that complicated now is it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
A little off topic. But Weber, Alzner, Petry......18m. cap hit, along with Price's 10.5m starting next year. Close to 29m for that group? One reason the Habs won't be contender for years. Poor cap management and few NHL prospects.

Regarding fourth line status. I know it's easy for non hockey fans to slot players into roles because they don't understand the game. 4th liner Marner played more minutes than 3rd liner Brown in Washington and had more PP minutes. But if you are content in your knowledge of slotting players by numbers , so be it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I don't think Barrie is the answer either. We need a mobile shot suppressing dman with a good first pass

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
1. Toronto Maple Leafs

Record: 5-1-0
Week 1 ranking: No. 1
sw_ye_40.png

No need to worry about a sophomore slump for Auston Matthews. But the Leafs were so young last season, someone was bound to regress. Right now it's Mitch Marner, who was demoted to the FOURTH LINEafter posting a minus-6 through his first five games.

Mitch Marner is playing on the 4th line. He is not an actual 4th line forward. 4th line forwards don't put up 60+ points in their rookie season.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I think Montreal can turn it around.............hahahaha no they won't! I don't feel sorry for them at all. As a long time leafs fan, I've suffered for a long time. And it's about time I get to chirp all my hab friends. This season has been the best start ever. The price is wrong!

Reactions: Lilou

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Habs would need to retain a lot of salary to trade him anywhere. He's signed for what 8 more years after this year? And while still really good Weber is already declining.

At 4/5M you could get a pretty good return.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00