Value of: Shea Weber to TOR

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Habs need a full rebuild. It's evident.
Leafs want a top pairing RHD.

Babcock adores Weber. In fact, he just mentioned this a few days ago to a Montreal reporter:

I think a deal could be made between the Habs and the Leafs, involving Man Mountain Shea Weber.

Montreal is strictly looking for futures/prospects/young players. Obviously Weber is of a certain age, but he could definitely be of great use for another few years - enough for the Leafs to contend for the Cup a few times!

What do you say, Toronto?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No, that cap hit isn't worth it. We can't afford him, it will cost us keeping some of our great young players long term.
Itll cost one of the great young guys to get and you then would lose others due to cap space. Makes a little too much for you gys

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
No, that cap hit isn't worth it. We can't afford him, it will cost us keeping some of our great young players long term.
He's an elite defenseman - which explains his high cap hit. Look at Burns who just, just started his contract extension at 8m per season (he's older than Weber).

The reason for this post is because Babcock seems to really like Weber, and his comment made me think maybe it would make sense, since TOR needs a top RHD, and who better than a great defensive defenseman like Weber. This would also kickstart MTL's rebuild.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Would be a good player for TOR to target if his contract wasn't monstrous.
The good thing is that Weber's salary falls to 3m in 5 years, and 1m in 6 years - in other words, if he sucks/is useless by then, say he's got some sudden "knee injury" or something, and throw him in LTIR. If he decides to retire instead, haha, poor Preds are gonna pay big big big $$$ - they'll be completely f***ed!

But realistically speaking, Weber isn't used to rush the puck out. He's a solid stay-at-home defenseman that could help shut down plays. I expect him to be very useful for several more years. He could definitely help you guys out, considering you need help in the back end, and he'll do exactly that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's an elite defenseman - which explains his high cap hit. Look at Burns who just, just started his contract extension at 8m per season (he's older than Weber).

The reason for this post is because Babcock seems to really like Weber, and his comment made me think maybe it would make sense, since TOR needs a top RHD, and who better than a great defensive defenseman like Weber. This would also kickstart MTL's rebuild.
He's not an elite defenceman anymore, and he isn't worth one of Marner or Nylander in my eyes. Try selling him elsewhere. He's not a good skater and won't age well. I want nothing to do with that contract, he is getting paid on prior production. Unlike your gm, hopefully our's isn't stupid enough to trade a player entering his prime from one exiting his.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We can't fit him.....and we don't want him with that deal, unless Montreal retains a bit on it, and especially on the last few years. Which subsequently, makes little sense for Montreal.

He's kind of the "old age" defenseman....he can't move the puck at all. I'm not sure he's actually that great. He might make more sense on Buffalo (especially) or Edmonton....not the Leafs.

Reactions: Doublechin

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
He's not an elite defenceman anymore, and he isn't worth one of Marner or Nylander in my eyes. Try selling him elsewhere. He's not a good skater and won't age well. I want nothing to do with that contract, he is getting paid on prior production. Unlike your gm, hopefully our's isn't stupid enough to trade a player entering his prime from one exiting his.
He's still a top-20 defenseman in the league, and Babcock still treats him like he's a top-5, lol. Maybe he'll convince Lou. Could be great for a few cup runs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's still a top-20 defenseman in the league, and Babcock still treats him like he's a top-5, lol. Maybe he'll convince Lou. Could be great for a few cup runs.
He's not a top 20 defender anymore, and his aging skating would get completely exposed with how the Leafs currently play. We aren't trading one of Nylander or Marner for a 32 year old physical defenceman. Now, maybe if you still had Subban it might be a discussion worth having.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
He's not a top 20 defender anymore, and his aging skating would get completely exposed with how the Leafs currently play. We aren't trading one of Nylander or Marner for a 32 year old physical defenceman. Now, maybe if you still had Subban it might be a discussion worth having.
I disagree about him not being a top 20 anymore. Also, Babcock clearly stated he would take him on his team, hence the thread!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Eh, I think Weber's playstyle is getting phased out now. A ,#1D, to me, needs to be strong defensively and be strong puck movers (have creative hockey skills, plus skating etc.). That's why the list of #1D are small to me, maybe 20-30 at most. He was kind of sheltered by Josi for a long time but his flaws are on center stage in Montreal now. Subban was a new-age #1D, maybe a bit too high-event early on but it comes with the territory.

Weber, to me, isn't a top 20 d-man. He's still maybe a strong #1B Defensive D-man at best....but with that contract, playstyle...I'm not sure we can afford to eat that deal.

He probably has more value to a team like Buffalo...Reinhart, ROR probably aren't out of the question.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I disagree about him not being a top 20 anymore. Also, Babcock clearly stated he would take him on his team, hence the thread!
Yeah, but not at the cost you seem to want, which appears to be one of Marner or Nylander. Also, coaches tend to be complimentary to opposing players who are stars, especially if they have worked with them before.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I don't think he's a good fit for Toronto. He's not fast enough to keep up with the team and already have Rielly and Gardiner on the point whom are better suited for the fast forwards the Leafs have. I'm sure the Goals Against would go down but I think they'd rather get a stay at home RHD that can skate with no offense upside that's much cheaper.

Plus, no interest in trading with Montreal. Send him to the west. That makes more sense in my opinion.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Eh, I think Weber's playstyle is getting phased out now. A ,#1D, to me, needs to be strong defensively and be strong puck movers (have creative hockey skills, plus skating etc.). That's why the list of #1D are small to me, maybe 20-30 at most. He was kind of sheltered by Josi for a long time but his flaws are on center stage in Montreal now. Subban was a new-age #1D, maybe a bit too high-event early on but it comes with the territory.

That, to me, isn't a top 20 d-man. He's still maybe a strong #1B Defensive D-man at best....but with that contract, playstyle...I'm not sure we can afford to eat that deal.

He probably has more value to a team like Buffalo...Reinhart, ROR probably aren't out of the question.
Buffalo could be a good option, but their team is still far from contending, which is why I don't see them going crazy for a Weber. Babcock's love for Weber and his recent statement is why I think Toronto would actually go for Weber (unless Lamoriello or Shanahan say "hell no" which either very well could).

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Yeah, but not at the cost you seem to want, which appears to be one of Marner or Nylander. Also, coaches tend to be complimentary to opposing players who are stars, especially if they have worked with them before.
Where have I mentioned Marner or Nylander in this thread? I said futures, prospects, young players, but not one of Marner or Nylander specifically.

Reactions: HansonBro

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Saying Babcock likes him over and over again is not going to make his contract any more manageable. You want to retain 50%? Then maybe we can talk but even then....

I have no doubt he would be a great add for the next year or two but I think we can find a better target that makes more long term sense.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Where have I mentioned Marner or Nylander in this thread? I said futures, prospects, young players, but not one of Marner or Nylander specifically.
You said it would cost us one of our future young players who will take up cap-space. That's primarily the big 3. And, I mean, what else would you want, a package of Liljegren and Brown?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Buffalo could be a good option, but their team is still far from contending, which is why I don't see them going crazy for a Weber. Babcock's love for Weber and his recent statement is why I think Toronto would actually go for Weber (unless Lamoriello or Shanahan say "hell no" which either very well could).

Babcock has loved Weber in the past and has a bit of history with him internationally so it's not surprising he's pretty complimentary of him..but the game is changing, he's kind of slowed down, and it contradicts a bit of his team philosophy which is predicated on team speed. Weber would probably have to be sheltered just as much in Montreal as in Toronto- i.e. play with a high end PMD....which we do have in Rielly/Gardiner. But really, we need more well-rounded #1D types, not d-men that need to be sheltered one way or another....and especially not at that cap hit + term.

Personally, I think a new-age d-man like Slavin (maybe ideally on the right side) is the perfect D-man for our team...or a younger Vlasic. Mobile, elite defensive d-men with great gap-control...well-rounded enough that they can be effective PMD's and strong defenders at the same time. Those to me are #1D's in today's game.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

the problem then is we lose one of marner/nylander anyways due to cap reasons, along with the boatloat of assets it would take to land weber (liljegren,kapanen,1st + likely)

would love weber on the leafs for this year and next year.
but in 2019 when Weber is 34 and Matthews gets 10.5-11M and Marner gets 6.5-7M? not so much

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The good thing is that Weber's salary falls to 3m in 5 years, and 1m in 6 years - in other words, if he sucks/is useless by then, say he's got some sudden "knee injury" or something, and throw him in LTIR. If he decides to retire instead, haha, poor Preds are gonna pay big big big $$$ - they'll be completely ****ed!

But realistically speaking, Weber isn't used to rush the puck out. He's a solid stay-at-home defenseman that could help shut down plays. I expect him to be very useful for several more years. He could definitely help you guys out, considering you need help in the back end, and he'll do exactly that.

Not a Leafs fan but the salary AAV cap hit doesn't exactly fit for TOR that's the issue about the salary. I don't think Toronto really cares at all about actual salary.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Babcock has loved Weber in the past and has a bit of history with him internationally so it's not surprising he's pretty complimentary of him..but the game is changing, he's kind of slowed down, and it contradicts a bit of his team philosophy which is predicated on team speed. Weber would probably have to be sheltered just as much in Montreal as in Toronto- i.e. play with a high end PMD....which we do have in Rielly/Gardiner. But really, we need more well-rounded #1D types, not d-men that need to be sheltered one way or another....and especially not at that cap hit + term.

Personally, I think a new-age d-man like Slavin (maybe ideally on the right side) is the perfect D-man for our team...or a younger Vlasic. Mobile, elite defensive d-men with great gap-control...well-rounded enough that they can be effective PMD's and strong defenders at the same time. Those to me are #1D's in today's game.

I don't disagree that y'all need that but you will have to move probably Nylander for something like that to a team that can afford to lose someone of that caliber.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Erik Johnson/Shea Weber are exact the kind of D the Maple Leafs need.

One top pairing RHD and watch out.

Otherwise, the asking price will be ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00