Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I mean, sure... but really, even if we got one of them, none of those guys solve any real problems. We need a new #1c, none of those guys are anywhere close. They don't even solve the speed/youth issue, they help some, but we would still have a ways to go.

Not saying some progress is no progress, but in a sense it is. If we continue to linger in 'good, but not great' what's the point? You either need a generational talent (Crosby) or you need a young star player on an ELC to give you a salary advantage. We don't have either now (or any in the system). We need those really high talent guys on ELC's, and we need them at the right time (depth). It's a balancing act and I think Wilson has been operating on the idea that he keeps the team well stocked and hopes something falls into his lap to push it over the top. He figures, if he can stay there long enough, eventually it will happen.

It's not going to happen, either he doesn't have the wherewithall or it's just a bad strategy all-together. If you can't put together a cup team in 12 years of being a really good team, something isn't working. I think the Sharks need to part ways with Wilson, with Burke, with Sommer, and start fresh with a new group and build through the draft. There is nothing worse than stagnation in a sport, fan's will evaporate and never come back.

The problem is it already fell in his lap and he did dick all with ir

sirom

May 17, 2010
He is an RFA with no arbitration rights given first year out of ELC and his age. CAPfriendly is a great website that has all this information

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I would laugh if wilson protected tierney in the expansion draft and then he proceeds to hold out for half the year.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I have to admit. I have been wanting to put a padlock on Doug Wilson's tanning bed and turn the heat up and called it a day. But he may have something up his sleeve I hope he does.

I would like to think he said he was going to make improvements to keep Joe around. That's what I'm hoping for.

If not what it really comes down to. Signing him was an attempt to not lose the whole fan base. To lose Patti and Joe in the same off-season would be horrendous. My concern is that he's keeping around just not to lose more faces of the franchise and lose the Fanbase. And we are going to continue or downward slope.

I'll wait till September but it ain't looking good

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So if Tierney is an RFA and has not re-signed yet, how does it work? I thought that if RFA's were not signed they got to arbitration?

He would just remain an RFA for as long as he remains unsigned unless the Sharks were to renounce his RFA rights.

Arbitration (if he was eligible) is only done if one party elects it. But today was the deadline for player-elected arb and tomorrow is the deadline for team-elected arb). It's not likely to happen with either of the team's arb-eligible players (Sorensen and Goodrow)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Patrick Marleau made a decision for himself. The Sharks offered him a deal. The Leafs offered more. **** happens.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Patty's wife and her accounting knowledge probably made the final say.

hmm i accidentally found their wedding video online.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Joe is still a great player. Keeping him makes this team better.

It does, but this is not 2005 thornton that can put the team solely on his back and lead them to the playoffs he needs help and as of right now bollig is not enough.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I always heard around here that Patty would never leave the west because of his wife.

I guess everyone has their price :sarcasm:

LOL.

Joking aside though, I am definitely surprised that Patty is gone. Never got official word on our offer to him but if it was indeed 2 years, then him choosing Toronto over SJ is baffling given how long he has lived here. Just for one extra year? Or a million more a year?

I wonder if there was something else going beyond the scenes that made him choose the Leafs. Maybe he just wanted a change in environment and wanted to go to any other team that gave him the best term/offer.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
LOL.

Joking aside though, I am definitely surprised that Patty is gone. Never got official word on our offer to him but if it was indeed 2 years, then him choosing Toronto over SJ is baffling given how long he has lived here. Just for one extra year? Or a million more a year?

I wonder if there was something else going beyond the scenes that made him choose the Leafs. Maybe he just wanted a change in environment and wanted to go to any other team that gave him the best term/offer.

It was 1 more year but 8 mil more total.

Marleaus 1st year of 8.25 mil comes in at just under 2 mil less then what the sharks supposedly offered.

Even if you have 200 million in the bank. Turning down 8 million would be hard to do.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
LOL.

According to LeBrun our offer was 2 years 10 million

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That 3rd year probably means a lot for an old man. But man, that 3rd year could mean that his kids grow up to be Leafs fans...ugh gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad