Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It was 1 more year but 8 mil more total.

Marleaus 1st year of 8.25 mil comes in at just under 2 mil less then what the sharks supposedly offered.

Even if you have 200 million in the bank. Turning down 8 million would be hard to do.

Oh I would not blame him at all if it was about the money. I totally get it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. But I just got the impression that Patty was not the kind of person for whom money was the priority.

I have mixed feelings about Patty leaving. I am sad to see a player I liked leave but at the same time I am pissed. I don't think many others feel that way, but I do feel a sense of betrayal. There are Sharks fans still rooting for Patty to do well because he was a member of the Sharks for a long time. I get that too. But at the same time, I feel like we/they are being loyal to a player who left us for more money? Or term?

I have never followed players when they leave the Sharks. And while I wish Patty the best, I honestly don't care if he flourishes in Toronto or fails. I have bigger things to worry about.

Like the Sharks! :laugh:

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I really hope DW would sign Vanek, Jokinen or Jagr if he is not going to do anything trade-wise. Vanek with Couture is for some reason entertaining idea. Of course the price must be right. No overpayment.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Oh I would not blame him at all if it was about the money. I totally get it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. But I just got the impression that Patty was not the kind of person for whom money was the priority.

I have mixed feelings about Patty leaving. I am sad to see a player I liked leave but at the same time I am pissed. I don't think many others feel that way, but I do feel a sense of betrayal. There are Sharks fans still rooting for Patty to do well because he was a member of the Sharks for a long time. I get that too. But at the same time, I feel like we/they are being loyal to a player who left us for more money? Or term?

I have never followed players when they leave the Sharks. And while I wish Patty the best, I honestly don't care if he flourishes in Toronto or fails. I have bigger things to worry about.

Like the Sharks! :laugh:

I am in the minority probably and it is probably because for nearly 28 years of my life i never lived in a city even close to an nhl team. So i have never got the city team loyalty thing. But i would rather cheer for the players then the crest on the front.

If thornton was the one leaving, i most likely would of been also. But i would still keep up with how the sharks are doing because burns has become one of favorite players in the league.

There are teams i would just never cheer for because of the teams i have followed in my life so far. So the rumours this summer with thornton were killing me since both the big fish interested were teams that i dont want to ever cheer for lol

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I really hope DW would sign Vanek, Jokinen or Jagr if he is not going to do anything trade-wise. Vanek with Couture is for some reason entertaining idea. Of course the price must be right. No overpayment.

I think the ship on Vanek has sailed. Its still possible but we passed on him the first 2 times he hit FA and was still 'cheap'. Doubt we sign him.

I think Jagr is a possibility because he would draw crowds/sales and have a SJ Jersey with Jagr on the back would be awesome .. :)

Jokinen actually makes the most sense because he would be a good middle-6 player for cheap.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Part of me hopes we are waiting until after camp to "see what we have".

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Vanek looked washed up 2 seasons ago. I'd think it's best if DW stayed away.

How about Cody Franson as a Schelmko replacement? Still put up positive possession numbers in Buffalo and could probably be signed for the same price. And he's only 29.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Vanek looked washed up 2 seasons ago. I'd think it's best if DW stayed away.

How about Cody Franson as a Schelmko replacement? Still put up positive possession numbers in Buffalo and could probably be signed for the same price. And he's only 29.

Agree about Vanek.

With the crap load of D we have, I doubt DW is looking for a Schlemko replacement. Heed, Simek, Ryan, Bergman are very close, if not ready, for the NHL.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
From this mornings Gackle article talking about replacing Patty's production:

When Wilson asked Meier at Sharks development camp this week whether he needed to find another left winger to fill Marleau’s spot on the roster, the 20-year-old forward responded by saying: “I’m ready.†.......

The response is exactly what Wilson wanted to hear from his 2015 first-round draft pick

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/07/can-sharks-absorb-marleaus-loss-with-top-prospects/amp/

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I am, like most of you, feeling incredibly frustrated. I was hoping my feelings would change over the past week, but I've grown more frustrated with each day. During last season it was clear most of the team was gassed from the Stanley Cup run, shortened summer, World Cup and condensed schedule. I was hoping that DW would recognize the need to add scoring and a potential Thornton replacement. I tried to be optimistic since it had been widely reported that DW came in second to Tampa for Stamkos last summer. I reminded myself of the Thornton, Boyle, Heater, Burns and Jones trades. I focused on the Martin, Ward and Schlemko signings the previous two offseasons. Even if Doug was able to resign both Thornton and Marleau, I thought he needed to add two scoring forwards (one young and one in their prime) to not only help in the coming season but in the future. My deep fear is that DW would put too much stock into the mediocre prospect pool he and Tim Burke have been assembling. The last thing I wanted him to do was to replicate the offseason of '14-'15. Unfortunately, DW has not yet made any valuable moves outside of resigning Thornton, Vlasic and Jones. Gone are Marleau and Schlemko. Visions of Drouin and Kovy in teal have faded. Players like Neal, Chucky and Duchene are still out there, but it feels like there's no chance of them playing in San Jose next season. Tavares, who is my dream target, feels like a fever dream hope. I have always loved this team ever since I was lucky enough to go to the first game at the Cow Palace, but I'm starting to lose my faith in them and their direction. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but logic tells me otherwise.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Im with teal man, i was thinking even with patty and joe, we needed minimum an extra forward. we are short a couple.

If he stays true to this and gives him an opportunity at a top 6 spot, im all for it.

im concerned if he struggles a big,he wont get a long leash and 10 games in he will be back on 4th line with tierney and karlsson

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am, like most of you, feeling incredibly frustrated. I was hoping my feelings would change over the past week, but I've grown more frustrated with each day. During last season it was clear most of the team was gassed from the Stanley Cup run, shortened summer, World Cup and condensed schedule. I was hoping that DW would recognize the need to add scoring and a potential Thornton replacement. I tried to be optimistic since it had been widely reported that DW came in second to Tampa for Stamkos last summer. I reminded myself of the Thornton, Boyle, Heater, Burns and Jones trades. I focused on the Martin, Ward and Schlemko signings the previous two offseasons. Even if Doug was able to resign both Thornton and Marleau, I thought he needed to add two scoring forwards (one young and one in their prime) to not only help in the coming season but in the future. My deep fear is that DW would put too much stock into the mediocre prospect pool he and Tim Burke have been assembling. The last thing I wanted him to do was to replicate the offseason of '14-'15. Unfortunately, DW has not yet made any valuable moves outside of resigning Thornton, Vlasic and Jones. Gone are Marleau and Schlemko. Visions of Drouin and Kovy in teal have faded. Players like Neal, Chucky and Duchene are still out there, but it feels like there's no chance of them playing in San Jose next season. Tavares, who is my dream target, feels like a fever dream hope. I have always loved this team ever since I was lucky enough to go to the first game at the Cow Palace, but I'm starting to lose my faith in them and their direction. Hopefully they prove me wrong, but logic tells me otherwise.

I agree with your overall sentiments.

If DW ends up going into the season with the way the roster is currently shaping up, it is a big gamble. He is expecting bounce back seasons from a lot of veteran players and expecting Meier/Labanc to take big steps in their sophomore seasons.

The truth though is that no one knows what the organizations expectations are from this season. Are they aiming to be a bubble team with an early exit in the playoffs as the best case scenario? Are they looking to barely miss the playoffs and be happy with a pick in the mid-teens? I honestly do not know.

The only thing that is giving me hope is the amount of cap space we currently have. We have over 10M in cap space right now and I just do not see DW NOT making a move before the season starts.

I guess we will know in October.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't see DW doing anything until camp is over and they see who they think can do what this year. Hell, he may even go into the season to see what we've got. I just hope we don't dig ourselves a hole we can't get out of before making a trade.

I really don't think Doug wants another year of mini re-build and I dobt that's what Jumbo signed up for.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't see DW doing anything until camp is over and they see who they think can do what this year. Hell, he may even go into the season to see what we've got. I just hope we don't dig ourselves a hole we can't get out of before making a trade.

I really don't think Doug wants another year of mini re-build and I dobt that's what Jumbo signed up for.

The fact that Jumbo re-signed is a sign (to me) that DW is working on something to improve the team. I would be shocked if Jumbo re-signed with us if he knew DW was going to rebuild (mini or otherwsie), which I am pretty sure the two talked about before the re-signing.

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The fact that Jumbo re-signed is a sign (to me) that DW is working on something to improve the team. I would be shocked if Jumbo re-signed with us if he knew DW was going to rebuild (mini or otherwsie), which I am pretty sure the two talked about before the re-signing.

Exactly. IMO it's the main reason Jumbo said he would only sign if Patty was signed last time. That was his insurance that the Sharks would compete instead of a complete rebuild. I don't see Jumbo just wasting a year of his career, so he must have some assurance even if it's a build up to really run next year.

I think Jumbo signed a 1 year deal to help the Sharks CAP and in case his knee doesn't hold up and he ended up screwing the Sharks CAP next year. For all the conflict a couple years ago they both must have really put that in the past.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Additional moves aside, that article from Gackle really doesn't address how the Sharks should approach losing Marleau's production. If Hertl can stay healthy he takes Marleau's spot on the 1st power play unit, it better not be Ward or Boedker, that should help him score around 25 goals. Meier and Labanc then only need to cover their 11 from last season plus Hertl's 10. That doesn't seem like a huge task as long as both of them take a step forward. That's if no additional moves are made. If the Sharks add a top 6 forward then hopefully that adds even more scoring, which is something I want them to do. I still have my doubts about Tierney as a 3rd line center, and maybe they're gonna give O'Regan or Carpenter a chance to take that spot, but I think trading for a real 3rd line center would be easier than acquiring a legit top 6 winger. It would also allow Hertl to be stapled to Couture.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

Well their may be a handshake agreement between DW and Joe that if they team struggling then DW will trade him at the deadline to a contender and SJ and go into full on tank mode.

Is there a max percentage that a team can retain on a player? Obviously it would be hard for any contender to fit a 8mil contract, but if SJ retained something crazy like 80-90% since it is only a 1 year deal and they have the cap space, then I would imagine there would be a lot of interested teams and the Sharks could probably net a pretty good return to start the "quick" rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad