Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I think we are saying that Hertl would need (a) player(s) like Couture on his line to produce as well as Couture. I am not sure which player that is a positive commentary for.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Joes - Labanc
Donkey - Couture - Boedker
Hansen - Hertl - Timo
Carpenter/Tierney/Karralson/Ward shuffling around here.

This is what I would do unless we sign a top 6 forward, in which I would put that player on Hertl's wing and bump Hansen up.

I think Ward will still be at least in the top 9 though, and after Pete's comments about Donkey he will be in the bottom 6 and need to work his way up

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
There is a thread on the trade forum saying that HC Dynamo of the KHL released all of their players on 1-way contracts. Looking at the roster, I see Daniil Tarasov on the list and I want to say the Sharks still own his rights. Does anyone know for sure? He hasn't exactly lit of the KHL though.

OverTheLine

May 11, 2011
I want Jagr AND Kovalchuk. I've bought into the 'retirement home' team identity and think we oughta collect as many aged superstars as we can.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I want Jagr AND Kovalchuk. I've bought into the 'retirement home' team identity and think we oughta collect as many aged superstars as we can.

There isn't a single UFA left out there that I can think of that would be worth signing. At this point, DW is down to trades. I can see him going for someone like Spooner. Or waiting to see what happens with arbitration-eligible RFA's. Either way, I don't see him making a move anytime soon (if at all).

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR

I agree, but I actually kinda think they would be good for us, outside of the admittedly appealing novelty factor.

Jagr is still a puck protection beast and while lacking in foot speed, he still dishes the puck well. I said it in another thread, but Meier-Hertl-Jagr would be a vicious third line. Impossible to tack the puck from and even if the kids struggled to put up points, they would grind other teams down well. Plus, seeing Hertl play with his idol Jagr would be adorable.

Kovalchuk is still a quality player, and I'm certain he'll be good for 25 goals at least, which would replace Marleau's production nicely. People also forget what a two-way force he was his last couple years in New Jersey. He'd add much needed goalscoring and would be huge for the Sharks anemic PP.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Couture was top PP unit as well... How many of his points are 5vs 5 or pp points ?

Just a lame excuse for hertl is all.

Also just being on the top pp doesnt magically grant you more points. Couture is good on the pp, hertl not so much at this point.

Couture was making labanc look like a top 6 F. His best linemate was marleau, but offensively thats not saying much.

I hope couture has more minutes overall than jumbo this season.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It would be impossible to take the puck from Meier-Hertl-Jagr because they'd never have it. It's like taking millions of dollars from a homeless man

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It would be impossible to take the puck from Meier-Hertl-Jagr because they'd never have it. It's like taking millions of dollars from a homeless man

There's like zero rationale behind this comment. All three of these guys have put up elite possession numbers in the NHL if nothing else.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Couture had Ward, Donskoi, Labanc, Boedker, Karlsson etc. as his linemates during last season. Sometimes he played with Patty yeah but Patty also playd a lot of time on the captain line.

Logan can produce 60ish points with anyone. Also he scored 30-points during our run to the finals last year. Hertl had about as good linemates than Couture during 2016-2017 season and failed to produce even 0.5PPG. Their ice time were almost equal. Actually Hertl had more time on ice at even strength than Couture.

Couture is way superior player to Hertl and LC should play on our second line center unless we can get Duchene. Also he is better defensively than Hertl. He doesn't miss his assignments as much as Hertl and Couture played also team Canada's top pk-unit during World Cup and I am sure Babcock doesn't use players who wouldn't be great defensively on that role. Hertl had team's worst -8 during regular season and I know +/- doesn't tell everything it still is something to think.

I like Hertl and he is very good player but I don't like the idea of him being our 2nd line center.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Couture had Ward, Donskoi, Labanc, Boedker, Karlsson etc. as his linemates during last season. Sometimes he played with Patty but Patty played much time on the captain line.

Logan can produce 60ish points with anyone. Also he scored 30-points during our run to the finals last year. Hertl had about as good linemates than Couture during 2016-2017 season and failed to produce even 0.5PPG. Their ice time were almost equal. Actually Hertl had more time on ice at even strength than Couture.

Couture is way superior player to Hertl and LC should play on our second line center unless we can get Duchene. Also he is better defensively than Hertl. He doesn't miss his assignments as much as Hertl and Couture played also team Canada's top pk-unit during World Cup and I am sure Babcock doesn't use players who wouldn't be great defensively on that role. Also Hertl had team's worst -8 during regular season.

Generally speaking I agree that Couture does not get the respect he deserves on the boards. He is no Thornton but he is a lot better than Hertl has shown so far.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Generally speaking I agree that Couture does not get the respect he deserves on the boards. He is no Thornton but he is a lot better than Hertl has shown so far.

Yeah. He is no Thornton and I think it might be unreasonable expect anyone to be Thornton. There is maybe 5 centers currently playing in the NHL who can be as good as Jumbo were during 2015-2016 season. But I think Couture doesn't need to be Thornton when we have Thornton but after Jumbo is retired/goes to another team we need another Couture-tier center. But for now he is our best option to play on our second line C and after Jumbo he will be our 1C which I am comfortable at if we can have player who is as good as Couture as our 2nd line C.

Couture is currently probably our most underrated forward. Pavelski were earlier but I think Couture is currently as good as Pavs or even better perhaps?

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I think that Couture is better right now but I don't expect him to improve. And he's not good enough to be a top 1C. He'd need to play most of the time like he did in the 15-16 playoffs and that's very unlikely.

Hertl hasn't had the opportunity to show if he can be a 1C. He probably won't pan out as a 1C either but I'd like to maximize his chances bc I don't see DW going after Drai (or Eichel, etc.) and I don't think we have a shot at Tavares. IOW, I don't see any other shot for us to get a good 1C.

Maybe Im wrong. We were one of the last teams Stamkos considered.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Yeah. He is no Thornton and I think it might be unreasonable expect anyone to be Thornton. There is maybe 5 centers currently playing in the NHL who can be as good as Jumbo were during 2015-2016 season. But I think Couture doesn't need to be Thornton when we have Thornton but after Jumbo is retired/goes to another team we need another Couture-tier center. But for now he is our best option to play on our second line C and after Jumbo he will be our 1C which I am comfortable at if we can have player who is as good as Couture as our 2nd line C.

Couture is currently probably our most underrated forward. Pavelski were earlier but I think Couture is currently as good as Pavs or even better perhaps?

I think that a lot of the people who "underrate" Couture seem to think that his deficiencies can be covered up by moving him to wing. Count me as one of those.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The only thing really wrong with Couture as a center is that he's been crap on draws. Other than that there are no issues from me.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Too good to tank, too bad to probably even make the playoffs.

I'm done with Wilson, it's time he found a new team to screw up.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Too good to tank, too bad to probably even make the playoffs.

I'm done with Wilson, it's time he found a new team to screw up.

It's the 4th of July. This offseason is critical for him, if the team is going to continue to be a contender he has to make some serious changes. If that doesn't happen by September, then his job absolutely should be in jeopardy.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
It's the 4th of July. This offseason is critical for him, if the team is going to continue to be a contender he has to make some serious changes. If that doesn't happen by September, then his job absolutely should be in jeopardy.

Yep, he really needs to bull a rabbit out of his hat or else. We need to improve our forwards, get a legit top 6 at the least.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Yep. Its still early and things have been way too quiet on the DW front. I am pretty sure he is kicking tires on a lot of trades.

But if things do not change by September, yeah, his job should be on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad