Mar 1, 2002
Thornton to Columbus 3 yrs-4 million a year

Panarin-Wennberg-Anderson
Jenner-Jumbo-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubinksy-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Sedlak-Calvert/Dubois

WestCoast

Oct 25, 2006
If he does sign with another team, Joe will get the biggest ovation ever for a visiting player:handclap:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
IF DW lets them both walk he is a complete waste of space as a GM. This should have been worked about before the deadline last year and they should have been moved for assets.

I am going with a less than 50% chance PM signs with SJ and a 80% chance JT signs with SJ.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
IF DW lets them both walk he is a complete waste of space as a GM. This should have been worked about before the deadline last year and they should have been moved for assets.

I am going with a less than 50% chance PM signs with SJ and a 80% chance JT signs with SJ.

Not as easy when both players have no move clauses. And way harder to do when the team itself is 1st in the division at said deadline.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Not as easy when both players have no move clauses. And way harder to do when the team itself is 1st in the division at said deadline.

I realize that, but even when they were first in the division I dont know anyone who thought they didnt need a lot of help if they were going to make a real push. I feel like last year was a bit of a waste of time.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If they're not going to be re-signed, I'd love to see DW to get a couple 3rds out of them. Might as well stock up on draft picks at that point.

Won't they have to waive their NMC's for that? Not sure how that works because technically we still own their rights till July 1, right?

What if they are both asking 3 year deals upwards of 5M/year (or something close)? If DW signs them for that or something close to that, he will still be berated. I want to see what they end up getting on other teams before I start blaming DW.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Won't they have to waive their NMC's for that? Not sure how that works because technically we still own their rights till July 1, right?

Yes but that'd be kind of a d*ck move for them to block it. They'd be under no obligation to sign with the team that traded for their rights.

I'm pretty sure other players with NMCs (full or limited) have had their rights traded before July 1st.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yes but that'd be kind of a d*ck move for them to block it. They'd be under no obligation to sign with the team that traded for their rights.

I'm pretty sure other players with NMCs (full or limited) have had their rights traded before July 1st.

I could actually see thornton saying no even in that situation. Just to give wilson that one last finger for the past couple of years of having his leadership and all that queationed from wilson.

Outsiders thornton has no issues with, its actually expected. But your own boss should be sticking up for you not causing the story.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

What if they are both asking 3 year deals upwards of 5M/year (or something close)? If DW signs them for that or something close to that, he will still be berated. I want to see what they end up getting on other teams before I start blaming DW.

I think one2gamble is right. I like DW but we should know by now if those proposals are acceptable to both parties. If not, trade their rights (with their consent of course) and get something for them. If they won't do it, I'd make public that was the case.

No excuse for getting to free agency when we've had a year to identify their requests.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
I had really hoped that we would be transitioning into our new Sharks era a bit smoother. If they both just *poof* its going to be jarring. Its a tough situation though. This is going to be a very defining moment for DW imo.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I had really hoped that we would be transitioning into our new Sharks era a bit smoother. If they both just *poof* its going to be jarring. Its a tough situation though. This is going to be a very defining moment for DW imo.

They either need to go all in the next 2-3 years or fully commit to rebuild. If you lose Thornton/Marleau without significantly replacing, they will be stuck in mediocrity the next few years. A that point the remaining core of Couture/Pavelski/Burns/Vlasic will be well past their primes and then will likely go into full rebuild then. So probably talking 5-7 years before they are competitive. :-(

Rather they trade Pavelski and Vlasic now and go into full rebuild now and be ready to compete again in 3-4 years.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
If it's true that Wilson is unwilling to offer either guy multiple years, that's incredibly stupid on his part especially since he's shown no inclination that he's starting a rebuild. Vlasic and Jones' raises won't be that hard to account for - Ward will be gone and can be replaced with no drop-off by a league min or ELC player, Martin will have one year left and can likely be traded at that point with some incentive, you can pay Vegas to take Boedker, Dillon will be moveable, etc.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If it's true that Wilson is unwilling to offer either guy multiple years, that's incredibly stupid on his part especially since he's shown no inclination that he's starting a rebuild. Vlasic and Jones' raises won't be that hard to account for - Ward will be gone and can be replaced with no drop-off by a league min or ELC player, Martin will have one year left and can likely be traded at that point with some incentive, you can pay Vegas to take Boedker, Dillon will be moveable, etc.

Agreed. If Doug is unwilling to give Joe multiple years that would be beyond dumb.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Excitement for sharks future keeps dropping to new lows. Either start a rebuild so there is a (good, exciting) future to look forward too, or go all in for an exciting run (and the forced rebuild after).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They either need to go all in the next 2-3 years or fully commit to rebuild. If you lose Thornton/Marleau without significantly replacing, they will be stuck in mediocrity the next few years. A that point the remaining core of Couture/Pavelski/Burns/Vlasic will be well past their primes and then will likely go into full rebuild then. So probably talking 5-7 years before they are competitive. :-(

Rather they trade Pavelski and Vlasic now and go into full rebuild now and be ready to compete again in 3-4 years.

Nobody knows if both or either of them are coming back. But, like others have stated, if we let both go there are really only 2 logical options. Start a full rebuild or push hard to get Duchene/Galchenyuk/Tavares on the team.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Nobody knows if both or either of them are coming back. But, like others have stated, if we let both go there are really only 2 logical options. Start a full rebuild or push hard to get Duchene/Galchenyuk/Tavares on the team.

What the hell could we possibly trade to get any of those guys, especially Tavares or Duchene?

I mean you could trade, like, Logan Couture but what's the point?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I'm fine with being terrible if there is kids in the pipeline haha but being just below average with no kids in the pipeline is the most depressing thing. But hey, DW has pulled a Jumbo and Burns outta no where before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad