Sharks Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even though it's Eklund, I'm sure they might as well ask. Especially if they're serious about getting Kovy. I know that Radulov is asking for a lot and the Sharks have 18.3 in cap space, but they could probably make it all work, including keeping Joe and Patty. We'd just have to jettison Boedker at the very least.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Duh so Radulov 5 years at 6.5
Thornton 2 years at 5
Marleau 2 years at 4

Move Tierney and Boedker to NJ for Kovy's rights

Kovy at 6.66 for 8 years (that's if his contract is still valid or whatever)

Bam, Sharks come in just under and spend 18.16M.

Kovalchuk-Thornton-Pavelski
Marleau-Couture-Radulov
Hansen-Hertl-Meier
Karlsson-Carpenter-Donskoi
Labanc/Ward

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Thornton 2 years at 5
Marleau 2 years at 4

Marleau-Couture-Radulov
Hansen-Hertl-Meier
Labanc/Ward

Kovalchuk needs a new contract, so I'm sure there's some wiggle room to maybe bring down his AAV. I am on board with this idea though. And we'd have 4 million in cap space without Boedker. So, here's hoping.

I think Donksoi would be better with Hertl and Meier and Hansen on the 4th line.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Kovalchuk needs a new contract, so I'm sure there's some wiggle room to maybe bring down his AAV. I am on board with this idea though. And we'd have 4 million in cap space without Boedker. So, here's hoping.

I think Donksoi would be better with Hertl and Meier and Hansen on the 4th line.

Yeah, I'm sure Kovy's deal can be brought down to 5.5M so that Patty can get 5M because I doubt he'll sign for 4M lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thornton 2 years at 5
Marleau 2 years at 4

Marleau-Couture-Radulov
Hansen-Hertl-Meier
Labanc/Ward

Why the heck would we want to sign a 34 kovy to a 8 year contract.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
People are definitely criticizing him for his handling of the situation, but people are also reacting to Duchene's agents frustration with the situation. Then rumors came out that the Islanders offered Hamonic and a 1st and Toronto offered JVR and a 1st. Somehow people being upset at Sakic for saying he wanted to move a player but not doing it because the offers suck doesn't seem like a good reason to jump all over him.

If I was moving Duchene to the Islanders Hamonic cannot or could not be the centerpiece. Hamonic reminds me of Brendan Dillon, but he just plays top pairing minutes. If I were Sakic I'd be asking for Pulock, Barzal, and a 1st. Or De Haan, Barzal and a later pick. Hamonic and a 1st is insulting for Duchene, and so is JVR and a 1st.

There are quite a few Islanders fans who are criticizing Sakic for that and quite a few Avs fans who are defending Sakic and trying to spin it like he's handled this well but it seems like it's mostly Islander fans who are criticizing Sakic for turning down Hamonic. Islanders fans really like the guy. I remember them being insulted when Canuck fans suggested trading Tanev for Hamonic bc ITO Hamonic was so much better. They did the same with Braun. Now they're trying to say that they never did that but they did. They rabidly overvalue him.

OTOH, the rumor is that Sakic wanted the 12th OA plus Hanifin for Duchene. If that's true, he's asking way too much IMO and should just take Duchene off the market.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am not the emotional type with players. Would like to see what kind of deal actually forces Jumbo and/or Patty out of the Sharks. If they get overpaid and/or get too much term at this point in their careers, maybe it is just the right time for us to let them go.

I do think Jumbo to Nashville just makes sense. He can win the cup there this year.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I am not the emotional type with players. Would like to see what kind of deal actually forces Jumbo and/or Patty out of the Sharks. If they get overpaid and/or get too much term at this point in their careers, maybe it is just the right time for us to let them go.

I do think Jumbo to Nashville just makes sense. He can win the cup there this year.

I agree. I love both Jumbo and Patty but I don't want DW to overpay to keep them here. If he can't make a deal that's good for them and the team, I'd rather that they found deals elsewhere that work better for them.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I agree. I love both Jumbo and Patty but I don't want DW to overpay to keep them here. If he can't make a deal that's good for them and the team, I'd rather that they found deals elsewhere that work better for them.

More worried abiut term. Gotta move on fron these two at some point.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Who do they replace these two with if they leave?

If they don't bring them back or plan on spending to replace them, they might as well sell as much as possible and ****ing rebuild. No bull **** 2014-15 half measure.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
More worried abiut term. Gotta move on fron these two at some point.

I agree, though I'm concerned with both term and $. (Not worried about the extras in this case.)

I really don't want anything above 2 years. I'd prefer one (and use bonuses) but I"d be ok with DW signing them for two at a fair price.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree, though I'm concerned with both term and $. (Not worried about the extras in this case.)

I really don't want anything above 2 years. I'd prefer one (and use bonuses) but I"d be ok with DW signing them for two at a fair price.

Honestly even 2 years worries me. For two reasons:

- Both of them took a step back this season. At their age, I expect this to continue every year.
- The longer they are in the organization, the longer it takes us to actually start preparing for life without Jumbo and Patty.

A few others have stated that DW has had the cushion of two great players for way too long. I like what he has done in getting us a #1D in Burns and I have a feeling he will pull something off to land us a #1C once Jumbo is gone as well. But the big problem is that none of that will ever happen till Jumbo leaves. While Jumbo is on the team, we will continue to try being competitive, without having a real chance at the cup. If getting into the playoffs is all we want, then keep them around for another year or two.

Also, I hate saying this but I am worried about Pavs as well. His speed is a detriment to the team and I am genuinely concerned how he performs without Jumbo on our team (and his line).

We actually have some decent pieces on our team if we wanted to kick start a full rebuild. Whether we do or not, is another story.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

- Both of them took a step back this season. At their age, I expect this to continue every year.
- The longer they are in the organization, the longer it takes us to actually start preparing for life without Jumbo and Patty.

I agree with almost all of your post, but why do you say Marleau took a step back this year?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree with almost all of your post, but why do you say Marleau took a step back this year?

His point total was only 2 points less but he has definitely started losing speed (I felt that way). He will be 38 to start the season and with how dependent his style of play is on speed, it is too much of a risk to take for anything more than a year contract. Though honestly, I would not be too mad if we get Patty back for 2 years. He has always been more of a complimentary player and will be very serviceable in the bottom-6 even once he slows down more.

Rebuilding around an older player who has always played more of a complimentary role, is not as hard as trying to rebuild around a superstar like Jumbo.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

A few others have stated that DW has had the cushion of two great players for way too long. I like what he has done in getting us a #1D in Burns and I have a feeling he will pull something off to land us a #1C once Jumbo is gone as well. But the big problem is that none of that will ever happen till Jumbo leaves. While Jumbo is on the team, we will continue to try being competitive, without having a real chance at the cup. If getting into the playoffs is all we want, then keep them around for another year or two.

Also, I hate saying this but I am worried about Pavs as well. His speed is a detriment to the team and I am genuinely concerned how he performs without Jumbo on our team (and his line).

We actually have some decent pieces on our team if we wanted to kick start a full rebuild. Whether we do or not, is another story.

I'm very concerned about Pavs. I think that DW should trade him if he can.

I think that Hasso is mostly concerned about getting into the playoffs. It's a complete guess but that's how I've read the Sharks for years now. It's frustrating as a fan but it's not my money. I used to blame DW but at this point, I think it has to be Hasso.

I agree with you that DW is not likely to act to get us a top 1C until Jumbo leaves. I hope that since Jumbo is now literally on his last leg, DW will act but I don't have faith in that. Looking at it that way, maybe the best thing for the Sharks would be for Jumbo and Patty to leave. It will force the org to make moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad