Sharks Roster Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Was listening to the Gackle podcast from yesterday and I am not sure what he is smoking but he estimated Vlasic to get around 7.2M AAV and Jones to get 5.5-6M AAV in his next contract.

..... and that is why we are not going to be able to throw money at Tavares next year.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Ya, I don't think Vlasic is worth 7.2. His comparables are pretty close to his current cap hit. Hjalmerson, Muzzin, Tanev, Hamonic are all basically right at his current salary bracket. If you want to start talking about 6+, you really have to put up significantly better offensive numbers. Even then, I would look to Duncan Keith, who routinely puts up an extra 10-15 points over MEV only getting 5.5. No way Vlasic gets more than Keith, so I would consider 5.5 his top-end. If he wanted to do a 7 year, 5mil AVG, that would sound about right to me. I would do 3@6 but even then, I think he becomes trade bait.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Keep in mind that the Blackhawks "cheated" the salary cap system with a bunch of contracts. I think Vlasic's cap hit will be higher than Keith's, deserving or not.

I'd be fine with something like six years at a $5.5M cap hit at the most. Defensemen that don't provide much offense shouldn't get paid like ones that do, regardless if they're in the upper tier defensively or not.

I think Jones is better than he was last year. I don't think he is as good as he was in 2015-16. I'd be fine with a contract similar to what Bishop got, but with one less year. So I think that's around five years at about $4.5M?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Was listening to the Gackle podcast from yesterday and I am not sure what he is smoking but he estimated Vlasic to get around 7.2M AAV and Jones to get 5.5-6M AAV in his next contract.

..... and that is why we are not going to be able to throw money at Tavares next year.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Or at least it shouldn't.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA

IIRC, someone was saying that virtually every other goalie with similar stats to Jones who is not on their ELC or +1 contracts is earning in the $6 mil range. So I would not be surprised at all if Jones gets that. DW has always loved to overpay his main goalies.

Vlasic I agree I wouldn't pay $7.2 mil to. But he's going to get at least $6.5 IMO. I don't think it's what he should get, but unless he takes a major HTD he's going to be in the $6+ mil range for sure.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Gross. I agree with Sideshow's limits. This is why I'd really explore trading Vlasic. I don't want to let him walk for free but I also don't want to be the moron stuck with his contract.

As for Jones, there's a limited number of starting goaltending spots. Bishop is a prime example. Jones would be wise to stick with the Sharks for a reasonable contract.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
As for Jones, there's a limited number of starting goaltending spots. Bishop is a prime example. Jones would be wise to stick with the Sharks for a reasonable contract.

Yeah, that's why I think Jones will get a reasonable deal. Vlasic has finally been noticed after playing for Team Canada, so I have a bad feeling the Sharks will have to overpay big time to keep him.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
He could just go to Europe. He'd make just as much in the SHL as he would here and probably have more buying power than he does in SJ.

I think Ryan and Bergman are much more likely to make the team next year than Heed. Heed's size is gonna be a huge issue at the NHL level.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Random thought...I know the Wild are in of a bit of an expansion draft crunch, so do you guys think it'd be a good idea to trade one of the Sharks' top-end pieces (for example Couture or Pavs) for several of their younger pieces (Nino/Granlund/Zucker)? Then they'd only have to protect one guy and the Sharks would get several younger pieces back.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Random thought...I know the Wild are in of a bit of an expansion draft crunch, so do you guys think it'd be a good idea to trade one of the Sharks' top-end pieces (for example Couture or Pavs) for several of their younger pieces (Nino/Granlund/Zucker)? Then they'd only have to protect one guy and the Sharks would get several younger pieces back.

I don't think so because then we'd have expansion problems.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
IIRC, someone was saying that virtually every other goalie with similar stats to Jones who is not on their ELC or +1 contracts is earning in the $6 mil range. So I would not be surprised at all if Jones gets that. DW has always loved to overpay his main goalies.

How can these beliefs exist concomitantly?

I would be in favour of moving Vlasic because I think the "window" has shifted, and extending Vlasic isn't something a rebuilding team should be doing. When it comes to goaltending, I am generally of the belief that if you are a contending team, with a top forward and top defenseman, go ahead and settle for an average-to-above-average goaltender. But, if you are building a team "from scratch", you should always aim for a top-flight goaltender. Jones doesn't appear to be that; if the Sharks go into the rebuild with him as the guy in net, they're committing themselves to finding that superstar center.

I imagine that Vlasic would return a little more than what Burns fetched Minnesota. Perhaps, a solid young player on a good contract, a very good prospect, and a late first. If signed to an extension, he should net even more.

If the Sharks keep both players, overpaying them by 1/2 million a year really won't be a big deal as long as the term is acceptable...both players are probably good candidates for longer contracts since I can't see them declining too much over the next half-decade.

I think Ryan and Bergman are much more likely to make the team next year than Heed. Heed's size is gonna be a huge issue at the NHL level.

I don't think size is the main issue. Heed's main asset is his offensive capability, and it is common for prolific AHL scoring to not translate to the NHL level. Sometimes, without that extra half-second of time, a player's entire offensive arsenal evaporates.

From all accounts, Ryan and Bergman are more polished defensively, and that can translate better at the NHL level.

Also, consider how many times DW/SJ has been burned in the past jettisoning veteran players expecting young players to fill those spots. I think DW has been bitten a few too many times. In previous seasons, he wouldn't have acquired Kennedy, McGinn, Handzus, Martin, Ward, Schlemko, or Boedker, expecting someone to fill the space from within the system.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Ryan is definitely shorter than Heed. Looks smaller on the ice, which is saying something.

HockeyDB:
Both 5'11
Heed: 165/ Ryan: 185

EliteProspects:
Heed: 182cm/175lbs
Ryan: 180cm/185lbs

Yes, I think lbs is more important than cm in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad