Value of: Sharks players

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But it’s not a bad contract..... he is of fair value.

He is but that doesn't mean that it can't be beneficial to trade for a guy on a fair contract and pay a little more to spend less off the cap on that deal. Especially for teams that are close to the cap like the Leafs are and plenty of other competitive teams are.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But it’s not a bad contract..... he is of fair value.

So?

Fair value in a contract is good and all, but an extra 1.9 million dollars to spend is better, especially in a year where we will be under huge cap constraints. A 1.9 million dollar top 4 defenseman could make all the difference

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So?

Fair value in a contract is good and all, but an extra 1.9 million dollars to spend is better, especially in a year where we will be under huge cap constraints. A 1.9 million dollar top 4 defenseman could make all the difference

Teams don’t generally want to pay 2 million a year for a player to go somewhere else unless they have to. I don’t know if it would be worth it for the leafs to pay more assets for retention which they don’t need

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Teams don’t generally want to pay 2 million a year for a player to go somewhere else unless they have to. I don’t know if it would be worth it for the leafs to pay more assets for retention which they don’t need

Teams don't want to but that's why you pay certain assets to make it worth their while. For the Leafs, I would think getting as much of a steal contract that they can would be highly beneficial when they still have to pay some of their RFA's some big dollars.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Need is a relative term. Could we make do without it sure. But if it's available at reasonable cost it would be moronic not to take it. 1.9 million dollars is the difference between being able to bridge a successful Kapanen or being forced to trade one of him/Brown/Hyman. Between being able to re-sign Gardiner (or at least bring in a short term replacement) or not

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I would hate all of these. The Couture to Nashville isn’t bad and that’s the only one I wouldn’t be too mad at. The Thornton to Nashville is a nice base but switch out Pitlick for Girard or Carrier. Braun, I would much prefer a conditional first+prospect then that trade. The Couture to St. Louis is really bad. We have no need for Statsny.

Couture to St. Louis; I don't think Stastny is a need for SJ, but its a salary thing. Also, as a pending UFA, it clears salary and gives the Sharks a great trade chip.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Brown + Wideman + 1st for Pavs

What value does Wideman have to us? I think he’s a pretty underrated player but we already have 8 top-6 defensemen.

Didn’t Brown have a pretty mediocre last season in the OHL? I haven’t followed him closely since his draft year.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What value does Wideman have to us? I think he’s a pretty underrated player but we already have 8 top-6 defensemen.

Didn’t Brown have a pretty mediocre last season in the OHL? I haven’t followed him closely since his draft year.

Made the Sens. Haven't watched him play though.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
What would the Sharks be looking for in regards to Jannik Hansen?

Well, they gave up probably their highest-potential upside prospect for him, so the sky's the limit. ;) More realistically, I would guess a 2nd with maybe a decent prospect thrown in depending on where that 2nd is likely to end up. Other Sharks fans may disagree and / or have more insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad