Value of: Sharks players

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Boy ain’t that the truth! :laugh:

I’d take Bracco and a 2nd and a cap dump for Braun at this point. You’re right, I’d almost rather take drafted prospects than I would 1st round picks because you KNOW we’re going to blow it in the first round... again...
I guess to be fair its kinda a small sample size and usually you guys are picking towards the back of the round, or not at all.

I guess to me just looking at the team and the system quantity might be > than quality... specially when you know what your getting. Guess we will see... they can def fill the system up with picks and good prospects with the pieces they could move... at the same time they are going to have to draft and develop better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I guess to be fair its kinda a small sample size and usually you guys are picking towards the back of the round, or not at all.

I guess to me just looking at the team and the system quantity might be > than quality... specially when you know what your getting. Guess we will see... they can def fill the system up with picks and good prospects with the pieces they could move... at the same time they are going to have to draft and develop better.

In the case for Braun, it's more about possibly getting more than he's worth right now than getting quantity. Because if it were to occur that a team is willing to fork over a 1st, my first inclination is to use that pick to garner more selections by trading back, or use it to trade up to get a better quality prospect if it makes sense. But the former more than the latter.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pacioretty + Scherbak + 2nd for Couture ?

Dude, I think the point of trading Couture would be to get future pieces, not have the main piece be the same age as Logan.

You guys consistently get gems at the back of the first round, and when you did happen into a top-10 pick, you reached on a guy who would end up a #1D (Lindholm). When we happened into a top-10 pick, we chose a gritty low-ceiling power-winger (Meier) over the considerable talent that was still available (Rantanen, Barzal, Connor).

However, for us quality is much more important than quantity. We have quantity. We are pretty good at filling in the bottom half of our roster, even the 2nd line as well. We need young 1st line forwards. We have Hertl, Meier, and Labanc, which looks like a promising 2nd line, but we need top line scoring fowards. If we had Burakovsky/Mantha instead of taking Mueller, Fabbri (could have picked him at 20th overall in 2014 if we didn't trade down for Goldobin), Barzal over Meier, and Yamamoto/Tolvanen over Norris, we'd be looking a lot different.

Just by drafting consensus players over the past few 1st rounds, we could have a future of

Mantha-Barzal-Fabbri
Tolvanen-Hertl-Labanc

That looks a metric f*** ton better than what we have, especially if you add Couture who is still under 30.

This post is basically a retread of the same posts I've been making on HFSharks for years, but I never turn down the opportunity to dump on the Sharks' first round drafting!

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'd offer Fabbri+ for Couture but with Fabbri's injury history his value is likely not substantial at this point in time. Not sure what else the Blues could base a package around.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
In the case for Braun, it's more about possibly getting more than he's worth right now than getting quantity. Because if it were to occur that a team is willing to fork over a 1st, my first inclination is to use that pick to garner more selections by trading back, or use it to trade up to get a better quality prospect if it makes sense. But the former more than the latter.

IMO, Braun is worth more than a 1st.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'd offer Fabbri+ for Couture but with Fabbri's injury history his value is likely not substantial at this point in time. Not sure what else the Blues could base a package around.

Plus, the cap. St. Louis would have to add someone around 5 million or more to fit.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not to derail the thread, but just out of
Curiousity, are the sharks actually
Going this way? Or is it the will of the fans we are seeing? They just signed Vlasic and burns to monster deals...

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The Sharks are fine. It's just a slow start. The only game they looked "bad" was the Kings game. Pushing the panic button after 4 games is what bad teams with bad coaches and bad GMs do.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Sharks are fine. It's just a slow start. The only game they looked "bad" was the Kings game. Pushing the panic button after 4 games is what bad teams with bad coaches and bad GMs do.
I think you are in denial, they are at best good enough to make playoffs but they arnt a serious threat and they dont exactly have the assets to make any moves to bettee the team without hurting the team

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not to derail the thread, but just out of
Curiousity, are the sharks actually
Going this way? Or is it the will of the fans we are seeing? They just signed Vlasic and burns to monster deals...

No clue. What I can guarantee is that the Sharks will not transparently tank. But the lack of any effort to try to replace Marleau combined with Jones’ complete mediocrity makes me think that a stealth tank could be on the way. Who knows. At the end of the day it all depends on if the stars (Thornton/Pavelski/Vlasic/Burns) perform. If they play to their standards we’ll make the playoffs. If two or more of them don’t, we won’t.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I would reach for a 1st round pick from Toronto for Braun contingent on them making the playoffs or the return of our 2nd and 3rd round picks if the Leafs don't make the playoffs. He's been solid so far this season and has been solid for the most part in his career. He wouldn't be my focus in terms of moving guys along right now because they have Thornton, Hansen, Ward, and Dell with expiring contracts before UFA and Hertl, DeMelo, and Tierney with expiring contracts before RFA. Then my focus would be on Couture and Pavelski with expiring contracts after next season. After that, see if there's a place to move Paul Martin to and keep an eye on Donskoi and Heed as they will have expiring contracts after next season as well. Braun is a very solid player on a good contract for another two seasons after this one. There are a lot of guys they need to make determinations on before they get around to seeing about Braun. The only way he goes for me is if they're blown away by an offer that likely has to include a 1st round pick.

I think a conditional first for Braun is more than fair, and he's exactly the type of guy they need

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Could something like this work?

To :sharks
2018 2nd (sjs), + 2018 2nd (tor), + Bracco

To :leafs
Braun

Braun would be a fantastic fit for the Leafs but GMs aren't stupid so Doug Wilson would know his leverage.
A top 4 RHD signed to a solid deal is easily with a 1st +. Especially to a team in dire need of one.
That said I still think the Leafs would prefer to try to find a way to keep their first. Maybe if the Sharks are thinking of entering a rebuild getting your own 2nd round pick back could have some added value.
Hopefully after adding a stabilizing defensive dman would mean there would be a less than 10 spot difference between the Leafs first and a rebuilding teams 2nd.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Could something like this work?

To :sharks
2018 2nd (sjs), + 2018 2nd (tor), + Bracco

To :leafs
Braun

Braun would be a fantastic fit for the Leafs but GMs aren't stupid so Doug Wilson would know his leverage.
A top 4 RHD signed to a solid deal is easily with a 1st +. Especially to a team in dire need of one.
That said I still think the Leafs would prefer to try to find a way to keep their first. Maybe if the Sharks are thinking of entering a rebuild getting your own 2nd round pick back could have some added value.
Hopefully after adding a stabilizing defensive dman would mean there would be a less than 10 spot difference between the Leafs first and a rebuilding teams 2nd.

Honestly I think it's a bit of an overpayment.. Remove one of the 2nds and the value is closer.

Connor Carrick
Jeremy Bracco
Later of our 2nds

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I wish they would go full rebuild, but it's unlikely.
I don't think the Sharks need to go full rebuild. You have good players, you just need to get some younger blood, speed in around them.

I'd keep Vlasic and Burns to anchor.
Couture, Hertl, Tierney down the middle.

Boedker, Pavelski, Ward, Hansen, Martin sold off at deadline. Even Thornton if he wants. LA or Anaheim if he loves the West Coast.

As a Leaf fan I'd give you a young prospect from the Marlies/draft pick for Braun.

Unlike an organization past its prime, you have an in between generation of 1989-1993 players to retool.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Honestly I think it's a bit of an overpayment.. Remove one of the 2nds and the value is closer.

Connor Carrick
Jeremy Bracco
Later of our 2nds
I Think you're underestimating the value of a top 4 rhd in this market.
And you have to offer them enough to move a guy they don't want to move.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And you have to beat other offers. If he’s available I’d expect a lot of interest.. He’d be a good fit in Toronto, and a lot of other teams.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I have no problem with a 1st round pick for Braun if it can be 2019. Leafs are still a little thin at center prospects/depth moving forward and I'd like to pull a couple in for the future in the 18 draft.
I can make up the 19 1st if someone would like to part with one for JVR.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
And you have to beat other offers. If he’s available I’d expect a lot of interest.. He’d be a good fit in Toronto, and a lot of other teams.
For sure. If the sharks made him available there would be quite a few teams interested.

He might not have the kind of name that jumps out to the casual fans but he is the kind of guy GMs value.

His contract helps his value too. He is paid fairly for just about the perfect amount of term. He isn't at all a rental but he isn't tied up for a bunch of years where you have to worry about over paying a declining player.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I have no problem with a 1st round pick for Braun if it can be 2019. Leafs are still a little thin at center prospects/depth moving forward and I'd like to pull a couple in for the future in the 18 draft.
I can make up the 19 1st if someone would like to part with one for JVR.
I'd be willing to offer a 1st round pick but I'd still try to find ways not to.
With the contracts we will have to give the kids the next couple years the Leafs will need to keep bringing in cheaper ELC players to help fill out the lineup.

Hence my offer of two 2nds and a decent prospect rather than a first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad