Value of: Sharks players

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah, I understand hesitancy moving picks to make a run for it. I'd probably do 1st, 3rd, and Bracco for Braun@50% and a 7th. .

Counter: Playoff protected 1st+Bracco + Conditional 3rd (Sharks) (Leafs make final 4, ) for Braun @ 50% + conditional 4th( Best in Sharks possesion upon conclusion of TDD (Leafs 1st = pick 16-20)
1st from 21-27 = Braun
Conditional picks- even up if pick outside of range
Bracco for retention

edited for greed

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Counter: Playoff protected 1st+Bracco + Conditional 3rd (Sharks) (Leafs make final 4, ) for Braun @ 50% + conditional 4th( Best in Sharks possesion upon conclusion of TDD (Leafs 1st = pick 16-20)
1st from 21-27 = Braun
Bracco for retention

edited for greed

I don't understand what your conditions are to really form a definitive opinion on this but I'm not inclined to retain half on a good contract like Braun's for a 1st round pick that I may seemingly not get if it's in the 16-20 range? If I'm retaining half on Braun, I'm almost certain I can get a deal done with another playoff team to give me a 1st, which is my priority.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
1st from 21-27 = Braun
Bracco for retention

edited for greed
No dice. Unprotected 1st IFF the Sharks decide to sell. There's risk on both sides. If the Leafs go deep, the pick is worth less than a very good #3RHD on a good deal. If the Leafs miss the playoffs, the value pendulum definitely swings the other way. Maybe a top 2 protected 1st.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Personally I’m open to trading anyone for the right return, but realistically Burns and Vlasic are off the table. Braun, Dillon, and Martin are trade candidates.

Those are the only two that will get a 1st round pick back. Pavelski probably has a decent chance, but it will be conditional. Same but less so for Couture. Outside of those players, we're talk 2nd and later draft picks, and some will need to retain salary like Thornton and Dillon.

Anybody considering a Thornton trade that involves a 1st round pick, conditional or otherwise, is dreaming. Nobody gives up a 1st round pick for a 38 year-old player on a one year contract with his performance from the last two seasons not being that great.

There was a time when getting Thornton would require a 1st round pick, and so for Marleau, but that ship has sailed while Doug Wilson was sleeping in the GM chair.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't understand what your conditions are to really form a definitive opinion on this but I'm not inclined to retain half on a good contract like Braun's for a 1st round pick that I may seemingly not get if it's in the 16-20 range? If I'm retaining half on Braun, I'm almost certain I can get a deal done with another playoff team to give me a 1st, which is my priority.

The only way you don't get the 1st if the leafs don't make the playoffs, then it's 2019
We get the 4th if the pick is from 16-20, you get the 3rd if the pick is from 28-31. They tighten the acceptable value range for both teams, but aren't necessary if you're willing to roll the dice from 16 to 31

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Those are the only two that will get a 1st round pick back. Pavelski probably has a decent chance, but it will be conditional. Same but less so for Couture. Outside of those players, we're talk 2nd and later draft picks, and some will need to retain salary like Thornton and Dillon.

Anybody considering a Thornton trade that involves a 1st round pick, conditional or otherwise, is dreaming. Nobody gives up a 1st round pick for a 38 year-old player on a one year contract with his performance from the last two seasons not being that great.

There was a time when getting Thornton would require a 1st round pick, and so for Marleau, but that ship has sailed while Doug Wilson was sleeping in the GM chair.

Yeah, I'm not buying any of this. The trade deadline is a seller's market.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The only way you don't get the 1st if the leafs don't make the playoffs, then it's 2019
We get the 4th if the pick is from 16-20, you get the 3rd if the pick is from 28-31.

That seems a bit much to tie the pick up with. I think Braun at 50% from numerous playoff teams will return a 1st round pick w/o all the other stuff added to it with a prospect like Bracco going with it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

What on earth are you talking about? We live in a world where Ryan Reaves got a 1st round pick and you don’t think Joe f***ing Pavelski could get one?

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

Absurd post. Thornton returns a 1st, Pavelski a 1st ++.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Some ideas:

Couture

For

Fabbro
Kamenev
Emelin
Kirkland

---

Thornton@50%

For

Nashville 2018 1st
Pitlick

---

Braun

For

Carrick
Leivo
Fehr

---

Couture

For

Stastny
Fabbri

---

Just tossing ideas, not married to any of them.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What on earth are you talking about? We live in a world where Ryan Reaves got a 1st round pick and you don’t think Joe ****ing Pavelski could get one?
Yea i think pavelski and thornton can get 1sts pretty easily, couture also snags a 1st unless you get a good roster player back. Honestly i wouldmt be shocked if braun gets a 1st w/ retention available.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why would the sharks retain on Braun? 3.8 is more than fair for him

Same reason that Vancouver retained salary on Jannik Hansen when 2.5 mil was fair for him as well. Sometimes teams will pay more in value to have a better deal on the cap when they acquire someone.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Some ideas:

Couture

For

Fabbro
Kamenev
Emelin
Kirkland

---

Thornton@50%

For

Nashville 2018 1st
Pitlick

---

Braun

For

Carrick
Leivo
Fehr

---

Couture

For

Stastny
Fabbri

---

Just tossing ideas, not married to any of them.
I would hate all of these. The Couture to Nashville isn’t bad and that’s the only one I wouldn’t be too mad at. The Thornton to Nashville is a nice base but switch out Pitlick for Girard or Carrier. Braun, I would much prefer a conditional first+prospect then that trade. The Couture to St. Louis is really bad. We have no need for Statsny.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Value seems good in alot of these proposals, and RD is certainly a area of weakness. However, we have to keep in mind the leafs are going to have ~27m tied to Matthews, Marner, and Nylander two years from now. Rookies and Sophmores on entry level contracts will be incredibly important to our depth going forward.

I think it would be more suitable for the leafs to find a dancing partner who is looking for assets in our position of strength, scoring wingers.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I would hate all of these. The Couture to Nashville isn’t bad and that’s the only one I wouldn’t be too mad at. The Thornton to Nashville is a nice base but switch out Pitlick for Girard or Carrier. Braun, I would much prefer a conditional first+prospect then that trade. The Couture to St. Louis is really bad. We have no need for Statsny.

I don't think thornton gets a first plus Girard as a rental, I have trouble thinking of a player who would. Maybe johnny T.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad