Value of: Sharks players

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Sharks have not looked good this year. The only game we looked good in was against BUF. Granted it is a short sample size but this trend seems like it might continue. With that said, the Sharks could look to move out some of their older guys.

What could they get for the following guys?

UFAs:
Joe Thornton

Jannik Hansen

Joel Ward

RFAs:
Dylan DeMelo

Chris Tierney

Depth players:
Paul Martin (4.875M until 2019)

Brendan Dillon (3.27M until 2020)

High quality guys that we are unlikely to move but could discuss
Joe Pavelski (6M until 2019)

Logan Couture (6M until 2019)

Completely untouchable:
Tomas Hertl
Kevin Labanc
Probably Timo Meier

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
-Thornton prob has decent value at deadline to a contender, id say 1st + pretty easily
- couture has more value than galchenyuk and duechene but maybe something around 1 of them +.
- Pavs also has good value at this point, and might be a good time to sell on him, before he shows signs of declining... not sure exactly what hed get back.

I havnt seen Dillon/martin enough since they became sharks to judge their value
I think youd be lucky to get back anywhere near what you gave up for Hansen.

I'm guessing your looking more at a rebuild, than a retool or some of these guys wouldn't even be considered.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
-Thornton prob has decent value at deadline to a contender, id say 1st + pretty easily
- couture has more value than galchenyuk and duechene but maybe something around 1 of them +.
- Pavs also has good value at this point, and might be a good time to sell on him, before he shows signs of declining... not sure exactly what hed get back.

I havnt seen Dillon/martin enough since they became sharks to judge their value
I think youd be lucky to get back anywhere near what you gave up for Hansen.
I think for Thornton I’d be looking for a first+Prospect. I’ve been thinking of something like 1st+Gaudreau/Carrier from NSH.

Both Couture/Pavelski I would looking looking for one good/great young piece and a plus depending on who it is

Dillon I’d hope for a 2nd+4th

Martin maybe a 2nd or 3rd+prospect

Hansen, we really didn’t give up much. A forward who refuses and can’t play D and a 4th. Not bad. I’d hope for a 2nd+prospect or a late first for Hansen.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I'd be all for the Blues getting Logan Couture. But, Sharks would have to take salary coming back to fit it in with the Blues.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd hope Ottawa would be in on Pavelski if he was available. Got to think some big changes are coming to San Jose this year as they start a rebuild.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'd hope Ottawa would be in on Pavelski if he was available. Got to think some big changes are coming to San Jose this year as they start a rebuild.
I don't see how. We don't have the money to pay him and no one to move to balance salaries without making the trade pointless.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think for Thornton I’d be looking for a first+Prospect. I’ve been thinking of something like 1st+Gaudreau/Carrier from NSH.

Both Couture/Pavelski I would looking looking for one good/great young piece and a plus depending on who it is

Dillon I’d hope for a 2nd+4th

Martin maybe a 2nd or 3rd+prospect

Hansen, we really didn’t give up much. A forward who refuses and can’t play D and a 4th. Not bad. I’d hope for a 2nd+prospect or a late first for Hansen.
I think most of those are plausible.

Couture def would get a lot of interest from a lot of a teams because hes a long term solution(well reasonably).

Thornton is a def huge + at the deadline for a contender.

I think its a good time for the sharks to at least consider that route, they lost marleau... and while they still have some core pieces ... I don't think they have enough overall depth to make a big playoff push(not even sure they can get a playoff spot), and they honestly just don't have enough assets to make trades to get that team to a point where they can be serious contenders. Depending how the next couple months go they may be the team to watch at the deadline.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Ward at the deadline should draw a fair bit of interest and a nice return.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Braun is fine. Hand us a prospect and/or a pick and we're set
Marincin+soshnikov+3rd? Maybe a 2nd?

Cap is close, but I don't think it quite works for Toronto. Lupul can go on LTIR though.

Gard-Zaitzev
Rielly-Braun
Hainsey/Carrick/Borgman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be all for the Blues getting Logan Couture. But, Sharks would have to take salary coming back to fit it in with the Blues.

Salary won't be an issue for the Sharks. They can retain salary or they can take salary back. They have 5.5 mil in cap space right now and likely only stand to gain more as things play itself out. So long as it is a futures-based trade that makes it worth it, I would be open to the move. However, one thing to remember is that Couture has a three team trade list and if the Blues aren't on it, they'd need his approval to get it done. I'd be interested in seeing what you would offer for Couture right now though.

I don't see how. We don't have the money to pay him and no one to move to balance salaries without making the trade pointless.

Sharks can retain salary if it makes it easier to accomplish and are looking for futures-based proposals for players like Pavelski. I know Ottawa is a budget team to some extent and I'm pretty sure that they have the assets to make a move here but Pavelski also has a three team trade list and would need his approval if Ottawa isn't on his list. However, I'm all for listening to proposals for Pavelski and I'm open to moving him.

Value of Braun to Toronto?

I realize he's not in the OP, and wondering why..hurt? Washed up?

I would reach for a 1st round pick from Toronto for Braun contingent on them making the playoffs or the return of our 2nd and 3rd round picks if the Leafs don't make the playoffs. He's been solid so far this season and has been solid for the most part in his career. He wouldn't be my focus in terms of moving guys along right now because they have Thornton, Hansen, Ward, and Dell with expiring contracts before UFA and Hertl, DeMelo, and Tierney with expiring contracts before RFA. Then my focus would be on Couture and Pavelski with expiring contracts after next season. After that, see if there's a place to move Paul Martin to and keep an eye on Donskoi and Heed as they will have expiring contracts after next season as well. Braun is a very solid player on a good contract for another two seasons after this one. There are a lot of guys they need to make determinations on before they get around to seeing about Braun. The only way he goes for me is if they're blown away by an offer that likely has to include a 1st round pick.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I would reach for a 1st round pick from Toronto for Braun contingent on them making the playoffs or the return of our 2nd and 3rd round picks if the Leafs don't make the playoffs. He's been solid so far this season and has been solid for the most part in his career. He wouldn't be my focus in terms of moving guys along right now because they have Thornton, Hansen, Ward, and Dell with expiring contracts before UFA and Hertl, DeMelo, and Tierney with expiring contracts before RFA. Then my focus would be on Couture and Pavelski with expiring contracts after next season. After that, see if there's a place to move Paul Martin to and keep an eye on Donskoi and Heed as they will have expiring contracts after next season as well. Braun is a very solid player on a good contract for another two seasons after this one. There are a lot of guys they need to make determinations on before they get around to seeing about Braun. The only way he goes for me is if they're blown away by an offer that likely has to include a 1st round pick.

Holy..that's a lot different than the other poster said.

The most is go for Braun is 2 of Bracco/Soshnikov/2nd/Timishov + salary(Marincin)

Toronto's not in a position to give up 1st's yet. We have 10+ years to contend.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

The most is go for Braun is 2 of Bracco/Soshnikov/2nd/Timishov + salary(Marincin)

I think I would need a first from a team. If TOR doesn’t give a first I’m sure another team will give a first for a top 4 RHD.

That said I’m higher on Bracco than most. I would probably take Bracco+Sosh/2nd+Marincin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It is and I accept that there's going to be varying view points on Braun and his trade value. I just feel like Braun is a guy that I can live with keeping up until the trade deadline of the season that his contract is set to expire. That's not until February 2020. There's plenty of time to figure something out there and wait for the right deal. That offer doesn't include anything that I feel like it would make it worth moving Braun right now. If I'm going to prioritize moving Braun now when I have numerous other players that have contracts expire before him, I have to make it for something I can't say no to. Those prospects offered aren't anything special so one of them, Bracco is probably the best bet out of those three, and a 2nd isn't good enough to trade Braun now. But I certainly understand the hesitancy on moving the 1st round pick. It's just that in order for me to move Braun, I'd have to be blown away by the offer. It's certainly feasible to wait out Braun but you'd be waiting a couple years and I'm fine with that as Braun is a good player for the team to have even in a rebuild. My price for him would drop as it got closer to that deadline in 2020 but not until then unless he falls off a cliff between now and then.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It is and I accept that there's going to be varying view points on Braun and his trade value. I just feel like Braun is a guy that I can live with keeping up until the trade deadline of the season that his contract is set to expire. That's not until February 2020. There's plenty of time to figure something out there and wait for the right deal. That offer doesn't include anything that I feel like it would make it worth moving Braun right now. If I'm going to prioritize moving Braun now when I have numerous other players that have contracts expire before him, I have to make it for something I can't say no to. Those prospects offered aren't anything special so one of them, Bracco is probably the best bet out of those three, and a 2nd isn't good enough to trade Braun now. But I certainly understand the hesitancy on moving the 1st round pick. It's just that in order for me to move Braun, I'd have to be blown away by the offer. It's certainly feasible to wait out Braun but you'd be waiting a couple years and I'm fine with that as Braun is a good player for the team to have even in a rebuild. My price for him would drop as it got closer to that deadline in 2020 but not until then unless he falls off a cliff between now and then.
I kinda think the sharks might benefit from asset packages than the 1st. They arnt really a team that hits it out of the park with their 1st round picks... getting some established prospectd and 2nd 3rd 4th round picks may be more beneficial. At this point i think they need to work on building a stronger system

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I kinda think the sharks might benefit from asset packages than the 1st. They arnt really a team that hits it out of the park with their 1st round picks... getting some established prospectd and 2nd 3rd 4th round picks may be more beneficial. At this point i think they need to work on building a stronger system

Boy ain’t that the truth! :laugh:

I’d take Bracco and a 2nd and a cap dump for Braun at this point. You’re right, I’d almost rather take drafted prospects than I would 1st round picks because you KNOW we’re going to blow it in the first round... again...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Well, ideally the people in charge right now aren't the people in charge for a rebuild. And I don't particularly care for the established prospect angle of it either because if they have to go through the Sharks minor league affiliate, chances are that they will establish themselves to be failed prospects because we don't develop those guys all that well either. If the team isn't returning guys that can be inserted into the NHL lineup on day one, chances are they aren't going to be much of anything here so I'd rather take the shot with the pick over other team's non-NHL players.

Reactions: Getz2perry

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I would reach for a 1st round pick from Toronto for Braun contingent on them making the playoffs or the return of our 2nd and 3rd round picks if the Leafs don't make the playoffs.

I’d take Bracco and a 2nd and a cap dump for Braun at this point.
IMO both pretty easy yes's, though I'd want to tighten the condition on the 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->