Sharks Olympians 2014: Marleau/Vlasic-Canada, Niemi-Finland, Pavelski-USA

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Have you watched many games this year? To suggest that Braun's figures are inflated by Vlasic is ridiculous. That just doesn't pass the eye test. But check the WOWYs: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1411&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

Sure vlasic helps him a bit, but he in turn helps vlasic a lot with offense. The more significant thing to note is he has spent a significant chunk of his minutes with brad stuart, whom he massively improves. So those numbers are with stuart dragging him down!

You also have to consider that when Braun isn't playing with Vlasic, he's playing with Stuart. When Vlasic isn't playing with Braun, he's playing with Boyle or Demers. So the WOWY's aren't totally representative of their play apart.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
You also have to consider that when Braun isn't playing with Vlasic, he's playing with Stuart. When Vlasic isn't playing with Braun, he's playing with Boyle or Demers. So the WOWY's aren't totally representative of their play apart.

Uh, WOWYs are in that link for every player. I did say he plays a lot of minutes with stuart, didn't I?

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Uh, WOWYs are in that link for every player. I did say he plays a lot of minutes with stuart, didn't I?

I think what she was getting at is that vlasic is getting a better linemate than Braun is getting when they are split up.

So vlasics CF may not dip much without Braun.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I think what she was getting at is that vlasic is getting a better linemate than Braun is getting when they are split up.

So vlasics CF may not dip much without Braun.

I said that, i even named the linemate braun is getting. we're talking about braun, remember? braun has great numbers, exactly what I said, even WITH playing with brad stuart for a large chunk of his minutes. That goes directly against the claim that vlasic is responsible for braun's numbers.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well, I really don't think Nemo is gonna play any games in the Olympics, he's gonna be rusty when he gets back. We'll have to start Stalock..

Finlands last game will be any where from the 19th-23rd of feb. San jose's 1st game after the break is the 27th.

Niemi's last game was feb 3rd so right now niemi is looking at 3+ weeks off inbetween games.

Having more of a break will not make him any better. I know i am in the minority. But niemi is still the starter and he needs more games.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Finlands last game will be any where from the 19th-23rd of feb. San jose's 1st game after the break is the 27th.

Niemi's last game was feb 3rd so right now niemi is looking at 3+ weeks off inbetween games.

Having more of a break will not make him any better. I know i am in the minority. But niemi is still the starter and he needs more games.

I'm sure Nemo will get the first start as he's the No 1 guy, i'm gonna SNOG it as a loss for us. :sarcasm:

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Our first two games out of the break are back to backs. They'll both play and shake off any hypothetical rust. See what happens and how they look then go from there.

Pretty simple.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Арпон Басу ‏@ArponBasu 34m
"I'm going to be honest with you, Hamhuis and P.K. don't really have a chance" - Mike Babcock, who likes his three pairs on defence

Looks like Pickles will be in there as long as Canada is... as he should be ;)

Also. Team USA's Quarterfinal game time has been announced for 9pm local (9am PST) on Wednesday. First time this tournament they'll be playing in the late time slot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
helenenothelen Feb 17, 4:48am via Web
Canada/San Jose defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic on being paired with Kings' Drew Doughty: 'Two weeks from now I won’t be liking him (more)

helenenothelen Feb 17, 4:49am via Web
because he’ll be playing on the Kings. Right now I’m happy he’s scoring four goals. He’s been great for us." End Vlasic quote on doughty

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
helenenothelen Feb 17, 4:48am via Web
Canada/San Jose defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic on being paired with Kings' Drew Doughty: 'Two weeks from now I won’t be liking him (more)

helenenothelen Feb 17, 4:49am via Web
because he’ll be playing on the Kings. Right now I’m happy he’s scoring four goals. He’s been great for us." End Vlasic quote on doughty

This is what i love most about the olympics. You take basically a bunch of bitter enemies in the nhl, put a national sweater on them for 2 weeks and they become buddy buddy inside and out side the rink. Once that tournament ends they go and that 1st game back will be back to punching each other in the face after the whistles.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Looks like Pickles will be in there as long as Canada is... as he should be ;)

Also. Team USA's Quarterfinal game time has been announced for 9pm local (9am PST) on Wednesday. First time this tournament they'll be playing in the late time slot.

Oh man. Habs fans are going to lose it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=705331

Babcock on Pickles
"I just told somebody [Monday] morning that Vlasic is way better than everybody knows," Babcock said. "He's a really, really good player; Doughty gets to do anything he wants and Vlasic is always in a great spot. He's a good defender, he's become harder. He used to be a thin kid, now he's a thick man. He's hard, he's smart, he skates, he moves the puck and he's safe."

Babcock's declaration that his existing defense pairings should remain stable is a bigger endorsement of Vlasic's play than anything else he said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad