ch74_nbcsports_0.png
ch11_usa_0.png
msnbc_48x48.png

Last edited:

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
They can't keep anyone from going right? Havlat shouldn't be allowed if he gets injured again then the Sharks won't be able to buy him out.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Pavs is a lock. Niemi, Hertl, and Havlat are strong possibilities. Aside from some locks like Crosby, Toews, etc. Team Canada is so deep that it's hard to tell who they'll decide on but none of Sharks are locks. Selfishly, the only Sharks I want are the young ones who haven't had a chance at the Olympics like Vlasic, Couture, Burns while the old guys can get some much needed rest. I also hope Rask continues to play well and Rinne gets his crap together. Stalock will prolly get 5 starts all year so Niemi could use some rest.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
A potential 11th must be Braun for team USA. Only other player that comes to mind.

I love Braun as much as anyone else but I don't see Braun making the Olympic team this year, especially after how bad he was on the big ice during his last WC. Granted that was a couple years ago and he's a much better player now but I don't think that's enough yet.

However, if he and Vlasic keep up the studliness, he has the slimmest chance this year and if they keep it going for the next four years then I'd say he's a lock. I just hope by then that he's good enough to be an Olympian but not good enough that he'll leave San Jose for something more.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Aside from the Euro guys and Pavelski. I think Cooch and Vlasic are the next closest. It really depends on what direction they want to go with Team Canada.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pavelski is the only lock in my opinion. A lot of other guys have a chance, but Pavelski is the only lock.

Personally, I'm not gonna be too bummed if not many Sharks go to the Olympics. I remember how terrible Nabokov was following the 2010 Olympics (which also coincided with the terrible Mermaid mask, but I digress) and both Marleau and Heatley slowed down significantly post-Olympics.

Particularly Niemi, I'd rather have resting because I don't want him playing 80+ games before the playoffs even begin. I wouldn't hate Thornton/Marleau/Boyle getting the rest, and I don't particularly want Havlat or Couture or Burns (or Hertl) risking injury. If I had to choose one guy to send to play for Canada it would be Vlasic, because he's the most durable and he's never gone. Couture will have other chances.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Pavelski is the only lock in my opinion. A lot of other guys have a chance, but Pavelski is the only lock.

Personally, I'm not gonna be too bummed if not many Sharks go to the Olympics. I remember how terrible Nabokov was following the 2010 Olympics (which also coincided with the terrible Mermaid mask, but I digress) and both Marleau and Heatley slowed down significantly post-Olympics.

Particularly Niemi, I'd rather have resting because I don't want him playing 80+ games before the playoffs even begin. I wouldn't hate Thornton/Marleau/Boyle getting the rest, and I don't particularly want Havlat or Couture or Burns (or Hertl) risking injury. If I had to choose one guy to send to play for Canada it would be Vlasic, because he's the most durable and he's never gone. Couture will have other chances.

I said the same thing about Nemo on the international boards. I would however like to see him get to go as the third guy behind rask and rinne, where he would get the recognition he deserves and get to represent his country but is unlikely to see much action. Ideal scenario.

As for Canada, as I said, I'd like to see Couture, Vlasic, and Burns get to go. You can tell it means a ton to Logan even if he's trying to downplay it a bit.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Does anyone know when the rosters get announced? Is it some time in January I would assume... is there a date/deadline/announcement day type thing?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Does anyone know when the rosters get announced? Is it some time in January I would assume... is there a date/deadline/announcement day type thing?

The US will announce their roster on Jan. 1st at the Winter Classic.

I'm guessing most will announce their rosters right around that time.

MechaMarleau

Vertebraeker
Apr 13, 2007
Menlo Park
Pavelski is both a lock and will be one of the most important Team USA forwards. Canada is tough because there are several teams you could pick out of that talent pool- do you go pure speed on international ice? Do you focus on two-way, versatile players or split between skill guys and grit? What mix of defensive responsibility, physicality, and puck-rushing do you want on the defense corps?

Couture seems the most likely to crack the roster simply because he slots into a lot of different frameworks. I think Vlasic looks a lot better offensively, and if he's on track for 40-45pts at the end of the (calendar) year I think he's got a good chance- especially if a couple guys get hurt. Thornton doesn't seem to have a role, and Boyle has to deal with offensive puck-rushers who are both substantially younger and substantially bigger.

The Euros seem pretty set, depending on if Havlat a) returns and b) looks any good.

Honestly I understand the selfish impulse to say "I don't want any Sharks playing in the Olympics because of injury/stamina things" but I think that's a bit heartless. A gold medal is a huge deal, especially when you're playing and beating teams that are incredibly talented. Personally while I'm a Sharks fan, I'm also a Sharks player fan. If Hertl goes and gets a bronze, I'd be jazzed. Yeah it's not the Stanley Cup, but you wish the absolute best of the people who play and try to bring pride to their family and their nation.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Pavelski is both a lock and will be one of the most important Team USA forwards. Canada is tough because there are several teams you could pick out of that talent pool- do you go pure speed on international ice? Do you focus on two-way, versatile players or split between skill guys and grit? What mix of defensive responsibility, physicality, and puck-rushing do you want on the defense corps?

Couture seems the most likely to crack the roster simply because he slots into a lot of different frameworks. I think Vlasic looks a lot better offensively, and if he's on track for 40-45pts at the end of the (calendar) year I think he's got a good chance- especially if a couple guys get hurt. Thornton doesn't seem to have a role, and Boyle has to deal with offensive puck-rushers who are both substantially younger and substantially bigger.

The Euros seem pretty set, depending on if Havlat a) returns and b) looks any good.

Honestly I understand the selfish impulse to say "I don't want any Sharks playing in the Olympics because of injury/stamina things" but I think that's a bit heartless. A gold medal is a huge deal, especially when you're playing and beating teams that are incredibly talented. Personally while I'm a Sharks fan, I'm also a Sharks player fan. If Hertl goes and gets a bronze, I'd be jazzed. Yeah it's not the Stanley Cup, but you wish the absolute best of the people who play and try to bring pride to their family and their nation.

I agree with this mostly. Which is why I'm rooting for the young guys who've never been to make it. I can only imagine it's such a unique and thriling experience to represent your country on the biggest stage. I lean slightly the other way when it comes to Thornton/Marleau/Boyle mainly cause they've all already got gold medals and are older and could probably use the weeks of recoup in the middle of the season. I won't be upset if they do go of course and it would be a great for them again i'm sure, but I would almost rather they not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad