Sharks Olympians 2014: Marleau/Vlasic-Canada, Niemi-Finland, Pavelski-USA

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Not worried about Pickles. He was poised at 19 as a rookie. He's a rock now. He'll be great doing what he does, being invisible while quietly keeping pucks away from nets.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm also halfway convinced that if Vlasic didn't wear teal, Jux would have made a detailed post about why there was a better choice who was left off the roster. :)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm also halfway convinced that if Vlasic didn't wear teal, Jux would have made a detailed post about why there was a better choice who was left off the roster. :)

I dunno..I'm not an advanced stats guru but Vlasic has pretty damn impressive analytics that go beyond the basics you find on a stat sheet. He plays hard minutes too which make them even more impressive.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I dunno..I'm not an advanced stats guru but Vlasic has pretty damn impressive analytics that go beyond the basics you find on a stat sheet. He plays hard minutes too which make them even more impressive.

Then why is there no uproar about braun being left off the americans? What vlasic is doing this year braun is doing just the same or better.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Then why is there no uproar about braun being left off the americans? What vlasic is doing this year braun is doing just the same or better.

He's just an unknown commodity at this point. If Braun's stilll going like this in 4 years, he's going to get the same treatment as Vlasic. Although super unlikely he'll get the chance then. US could easily have a defense with Jones, Carlson, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Faulk, Someone. Gonna be tough next time around.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I love Vlasic but he (and Bouwmeester and Hamhuis) have no business being in the line-up over Subban. I do think that Vlasic is legitimately the best Canadian LHD after Keith, but handedness is such a dumb way to choose a team.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I love Vlasic but he (and Bouwmeester and Hamhuis) have no business being in the line-up over Subban. I do think that Vlasic is legitimately the best Canadian LHD after Keith, but handedness is such a dumb way to choose a team.

Hamhuis i agree with, but subban and vlasic are 2 totally different types of players.

Every one of team canadas defense are elite defensively like vlasic. But they are also elite offensively. And are better utilized as a offensive threat instead of worrying all about defense. That is where vlasic comes into play, team canada knows that with vlasic on the ice the likes of doughty, keith can do those non stop pinches and end to end rushes because vlasic can handle himself in the defensive zone.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Hamhuis i agree with, but subban and vlasic are 2 totally different types of players.

Every one of team canadas defense are elite defensively like vlasic. But they are also elite offensively. And are better utilized as a offensive threat instead of worrying all about defense. That is where vlasic comes into play, team canada knows that with vlasic on the ice the likes of doughty, keith can do those non stop pinches and end to end rushes because vlasic can handle himself in the defensive zone.

I think Vlasic is the perfect partner for Doughty or Subban. He had an uneven first but was solid the rest of the game. Even made some decent offensive plays.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Brooks Orpik.

Brooks Orpik isn't as bad as everyone keeps whining about. He is mainly going to be used in a defensive role and a penalty kill guy. Justin Braun was never in the running for team USA. He wasn't invited to the camp and has little history with USA hockey.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Experience and only experience. Braun has only just reached this level, so if Vlasic flies under the radar, Braun is digging under the perimeter fence.

and Braun is not better than any of the US defensemen who are on the team.

Advanced stats say defensively he is better than almost all of them.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Experience and only experience. Braun has only just reached this level, so if Vlasic flies under the radar, Braun is digging under the perimeter fence.

Advanced stats say defensively he is better than almost all of them.

Which ones? CORSI? Fenwick? Those rank him higher, but they also rank Jake Muzzin insanely high. I like Justin, but I think his CORSI and Fenwick are inflated by Vlasic and co. He still has some real bone-headed moments out there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Which ones? CORSI? Fenwick? Those rank him higher, but they also rank Jake Muzzin insanely high. I like Justin, but I think his CORSI and Fenwick are inflated by Vlasic and co. He still has some real bone-headed moments out there.

First of all, Muzzin is really good, in addition to being buoyed by Doughty/Kopitar/Williams.

Secondly, I can't remember a single bone-headed moment from Braun this year. I'm serious about that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Forget Johnson. What about Yandle? That is a crime!

Lol true.

The biggest crime, though, is obviously Dustin Clown over Okposo, Ryan and other actual competent hockey players. Kings fans are in denial if they think it's just his knee. The way he's played has taken a toll on his body and he won't ever be the player he was even 2 years ago. His meaningless goal in the Slovakia game is all he'll provide to this team.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Have you watched many games this year? To suggest that Braun's figures are inflated by Vlasic is ridiculous. That just doesn't pass the eye test. But check the WOWYs: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1411&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

Sure vlasic helps him a bit, but he in turn helps vlasic a lot with offense. The more significant thing to note is he has spent a significant chunk of his minutes with brad stuart, whom he massively improves. So those numbers are with stuart dragging him down!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad