GDT: Sharks @ Flames 6pm pacific.... I think....

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Donskoi just missed 3 weeks. It wouldn't be smart to give him a ton of ice on the first night of b2b's.

Plus the team is playing a good game.

Fair enough. They could still give Meier a few extra shifts though. It's not like Karlsson would deserve more ice time than Meier for example.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Someone is going to give him that chance next year.
The Hurricanes seem to need a starter every year. Ward is a UFA and probably shouldn't be brought back, and Darling has been putrid. That experiment isn't going over well at all.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'd almost like to see him get at least 25. Jones has been pretty bad since the injury, which is a shame, as he was playing some of his best hockey as a Shark before that.

Dell is an elite backup but I don't think he would be any good as a starter. Teams would eventually figure him out and take advantage. He could see him work out well in a 1a/1b situation though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dell is an elite backup but I don't think he would be any good as a starter. Teams would eventually figure him out and take advantage. He could see him work out well in a 1a/1b situation though.
I think he could be a good starter, but I don't think he'd be a .930 starter, like he is the backup.

Usually, the backups don't sustain the high numbers that they did as starters. Even the really good ones like Schneider, Rask, Talbot, see a bit of a decline in performance when used as the starter.

I could say the same for Martin Jones, although he had one really good Dell-like season as the LA backup and then another Stalock-ish type season with limited action as LA's backup.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
What do you base that opinion on? How would teams figure him out as a starter but not as a 1a/1b? This sort of thing is silly seeing as the only way to know if he can handle the workload is to give him the starts. Only thing Dell lacks to be a starter in the contemporary NHL is size, and he's shown he can overcome that. Goalies are voodoo, it's hard to tell who will make it and who will sputter out.

Reactions: Led Zappa

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'd almost like to see him get at least 25. Jones has been pretty bad since the injury, which is a shame, as he was playing some of his best hockey as a Shark before that.

He's working through his injury. He hasn't been as strong down low as he normally is. Of course the Sharks are mum.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What do you base that opinion on? How would teams figure him out as a starter but not as a 1a/1b? This sort of thing is silly seeing as the only way to know if he can handle the workload is to give him the starts. Only thing Dell lacks to be a starter in the contemporary NHL is size, and he's shown he can overcome that. Goalies are voodoo, it's hard to tell who will make it and who will sputter out.

Small goalies with average movement/mobility tend to have issues when they're asked to play more. Dell does make up for his lack of size with smart positioning. Sometimes he's also cheating. So around 40 starts might still work but if he faces teams 2-3 times per season then in today's NHL where teams look at everything he's likely to get figured out sooner or later. That's my take anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad