GDT: Sharks @ Flames 6pm pacific.... I think....

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where did I say this?
When you said to me that we have these strong arguments about what Dell can and can't do as a starter, my only strong argument about what he can't do as a starter, is sustain this level of play that he's currently done through 32 games as a backup. This is an incredibly hard level to maintain while playing 60 games in a season, so it's not outlandish to think that there's a 90% chance that he probably wouldn't do this as a 60 game starter and in the chance that he did, there's almost a 100% that he wouldn't repeat it after that as a 60 game starter. It's even only been a one time thing for Carey Price, unless you count a dozen or so games the next season, where he was injured for almost all of it.

My comment about being skeptical that he'd do this in a starters workload, wasn't meant to denigrate him, I was actually praising him for his otherworldly play at the NHL level.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
When you said to me that we have these strong arguments about what Dell can and can't do as a starter, my only strong argument about what he can't do as a starter, is sustain this level of play that he's currently done through 32 games as a backup. This is an incredibly hard level to maintain while playing 60 games in a season, so it's not outlandish to think that there's a 90% chance that he probably wouldn't do this as a 60 game starter and in the chance that he did, there's almost a 100% that he wouldn't repeat it after that as a 60 game starter. It's even only been a one time thing for Carey Price, unless you count a dozen or so games the next season, where he was injured for almost all of it.

My comment about being skeptical that he'd do this in a starters workload, wasn't meant to denigrate him, I was actually praising him for his otherworldly play at the NHL level.

I said no such thing. My point is that you claiming anything about dell without reference to other backup goalie stats to arrive at your conclusions is a problem assessing said players. And virtually all starting goalies were backups at one point. You're also not the only to make these arguments as to how well he will or wouldn't do as a starter. Below is what I'm tired of seeing and and I agree with KirbyDots response. I'm glad you further cleared up how you feel about Dell and I don't have a problem with that assessment. Though as Kirby said, Goalies are Voodoo.

Dell is an elite backup but I don't think he would be any good as a starter. Teams would eventually figure him out and take advantage. He could see him work out well in a 1a/1b situation though.

What do you base that opinion on? How would teams figure him out as a starter but not as a 1a/1b? This sort of thing is silly seeing as the only way to know if he can handle the workload is to give him the starts. Only thing Dell lacks to be a starter in the contemporary NHL is size, and he's shown he can overcome that. Goalies are voodoo, it's hard to tell who will make it and who will sputter out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why does everything have to be a massive argument here? BleedRed is saying that some backup goalies tend to have higher SV%, and that you can't call a guy an NHL starter until he has played at least 50 games and has performed near the level of a league average starter. I like Dell. I think we should give him the chance to be our starter, especially since Jones seems injured right now. But he is not currently a starting goalie simply because he has been fairly sheltered against weaker teams and hasn't even started 20 games in a season yet. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I just hope he doesn't leave in UFA, but I can't imagine he doesn't know some sucker GM would probably give him 3-4M.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Why does everything have to be a massive argument here? BleedRed is saying that some backup goalies tend to have higher SV%, and that you can't call a guy an NHL starter until he has played at least 50 games and has performed near the level of a league average starter. I like Dell. I think we should give him the chance to be our starter, especially since Jones seems injured right now. But he is not currently a starting goalie simply because he has been fairly sheltered against weaker teams and hasn't even started 20 games in a season yet. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I just hope he doesn't leave in UFA, but I can't imagine he doesn't know some sucker GM would probably give him 3-4M.

Because people insist on posting bullshit.

And you're saying something even BR didn't say, since I asked him for those stats and he didn't have them.

There is no evidence Dell can't be a starter in the NHL and I've seen it posted here by multiple people. It seemed BR was headed in that direction, but has since cleared that up.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Dell's stats last year were really good. This year they are even better. Both years have been comparable (if not better) than what Jones had in his best season as a backup while in LA with about the same number of games for the season (20). The big difference between Jones and Dell is that Jones posted those stats when he was 23-24 whereas Dell is doing it at 27-28.

No way I can predict if Dell will be a good full-time NHL goalie or not, but he has definitely shown that he deserves a shot.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Dell has also shown that in every league he has played in that if given a chance he will succeed.

But given that dell is pretty small for a goalie and has to work even harder to be good. He is often times looked over because he doesn't have the natural build of a typical goalie. Just like smaller forwards and defensemen get over looked smaller goalies tend to also.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You can be a smaller goalie and succeed if you are a great athlete. Is Dell that type of athlete? I'm not sure but he's doing a good job as a back up.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
At what point do you consider Dell the 1st string goalie? Jones has not had a .900 or better SV% this month.

I'd say PDB should if Jones' trend continues into January, maybe the 2nd or 3rd week, and Dell continues at this pace.

At the very least, Dell has earned more starts than usual at this point.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Lol just read a comment on the sharks facebook page about the meier goal saying that if tierney could stop playing like a wet piece of toilet paper he could impact the game more.

Some body is stuck in there opinion and nothing will change it if tierneys play this year hasn't already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad