GDT: Sharks @ Flames 6pm pacific.... I think....

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Intent to blow is a stupid rule anyway. Good hard win for the Sharks. I think we are slowly turning it around. PP% and GF/G slowly going up

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's the average for a backup?
I don’t know for backups specifically, but currently the league average save percentage is .912, which is slightly down from previous years. It has been .913 and .914-ish in recent years. It was .910 not too long ago this season, so maybe it progresses back to just under 91.5% by the end of the season.

Dell is well into the .930’s.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement / interviews

3-2 sharks
Burns, pavs, meier
Monahan, gaudreau

SJS 3/2
Cooter/Burns/Tierney
JHockey
/Tkachuk

Hopefully Donsk is back up to snuff!!

Bit late here. Thought I'd have an easier time playing catch-up on DVR, but evening commute was a bit rough and such. Anyway, we have two winners after applying the tiebreake. "JHockey" is a bit of a strange abbreviation of a nickname, but it's pretty clear that that's Gaudreau, right? Congrats to do0glas and socalsharksfan respectively for your first SNOGs of the year!

SNOG 2017-12-14 do0glas socalsharksfan.jpg

#Date / OpponentSNOG Winner(s)Result
1Oct. 4 vs FlyersnoneFlyers 5-3
2Oct. 7 vs KingshohosaregoodKings 4-1
3 Oct. 12 vs Sabres CanadianSharks, PopaneNightscare Sharks 3-2
4Oct. 14 vs IslandersnoneIslanders 3-1
5Oct. 17 vs CanadiensnoneSharks 5-2
6Oct. 20 at DevilsnoneSharks 3-0
7Oct. 21 at IslandersnoneIslanders 5-3
8Oct. 23 at RangersnoneSharks 4-1
9Oct. 26 at BruinsnoneBruins 2-1
10Oct. 28 at SabresnoneSharks 3-2
11Oct. 30 vs Maple LeafsDrFeelgoodSharks 3-2
12Nov. 1 vs PredatorsspintheblackcircleSharks 4-1
13Nov. 4 vs DucksRockyMTNSharkSharks 2-1 SO
14Nov. 8 vs LightningAnomie2029Lightning 5-1
15Nov. 11 vs CanucksnoneSharks 5-0
16Nov. 12 at KingsstatorSharks 2-1
17Nov. 16 vs PanthersnonePanthers 2-0
18Nov. 18 vs BruinsPackShark, rangerssharks414Bruins 3-1
19Nov. 20 vs DucksnoneDucks 3-2 SO
20Nov. 22 vs CoyotesnoneSharks 3-1
21Nov. 24 at Golden KnightsnoneGolden Knights 5-4 OT
22Nov. 25 vs JetsBizzSharks 4-0
23Nov. 28 at FlyersPackSharkSharks 3-1
24Dec. 1 at PanthersMunnyroSharks 2-1
25Dec. 2 at LightningnoneLightning 5-2
26Dec. 4 at CapitalsnoneCapitals 4-1
27Dec. 7 vs HurricanesnoneSharks 5-4 OT
28Dec. 9 vs Senatorsshorkie88Sharks 5-0
29Dec. 10 vs WildnoneWild 4-3 OT
30Dec. 14 at Flamesdo0glas, socalsharksfanSharks 3-2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank2017-18 SNOG standings# of SNOGs
1.PackShark 2
T-2.Anomie2029, Bizz, CanadianSharks, do0glas, DrFeelgood, hohosaregood, Munnyro, PopaneNightscare, rangerssharks414, RockyMTNShark, shorkie88, socalsharksfan, spintheblackcircle, stator 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
----------------

Meier on TV intermission interview:

- we wanted to come out strong, our start wasn't what we wanted but we bounced back, we got a goal late, 2nd period we gotta come out stronger, be harder on pucks, and play our game
- [on his goal] we kinda had a quick transition there, I just tried to buy some time, Joonas came in nice to support me, made a nice pass to Tierns who took it to the net, and then I just kinda had to put it in the back of the net
- just kinda trying to find the puck, was lucky to bounce right on my stick, it's nice when you get a bounce like that, but I think we gotta keep going, take pucks to the net, and good things will happen

Donskoi on TV postgame interview:

- this is huge road trip to us, this is right way to start it, so yeah, good feeling
- [on his line w/ Tierney and Meier] I felt good playing with those guys and of course was good feeling to get back, we were just trying to keep things simple and work hard both ways and I think all of those goals we scored were grinding goals and hardworking goals, nothing too fancy, just keep it simple
- [on returning from injury] yeah, to be honest, I had pretty hard time to sit out and watch the games, so was great feeling to get back; still, I think I can improve, it's not easy to come back after you've been out for a while, so yeah, for sure, I can still keep my feets moving a little bit better

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don’t know for backups specifically, but currently the league average save percentage is .912, which is slightly down from previous years. It has been .913 and .914-ish in recent years. It was .910 not too long ago this season, so maybe it progresses back to just under 91.5% by the end of the season.

Dell is well into the .930’s.

It doesn't really help knowing the NHL average when you're making making judgements about backups. I just thought you and others would know with all these strong arguments about what Dell can and can't do as a starter.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This 6 game pacific stretch started off good. 5 games left and with the teams the sharks play they could potentially be able to go 5-1.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It doesn't really help knowing the NHL average when you're making making judgements about backups. I just thought you and others would know with all these strong arguments about what Dell can and can't do as a starter.
Give me a break, Dell is a .930 starter? Then he’s the best goalie in the league if you think he can consistently do this as a starter. I like Dell as much as anybody, but I see this is your attempt at trying to disprove me and act like I have no clue as to what I’m talking about. Come to think of it, you did the same thing to me with Reimer.

How’s Reimer doing right now? He’s continuing to fluctuate, just like I said he would, when you told me I didn’t know what I was talking about then. .920 last year, sexy .896 behind the same team this year. Almost a 30 point lower save percentage than 38 year old Luongo behind the same team.

By the way, I do like Dell. I think he might be better than Jones, but maybe not. It’s hard to say. He’s surely better than that fluctuating sieve Reimer. You trying to disprove my point by saying I don’t know he’ll sustain .930 as a starter is what I take issue with. You’re right, I don’t KNOW that, but the chances are so low. He’d be the best goalie in the world if he did that.

For the record, I’ve been a proponent of Dell playing more over the last year, and would absolutely like to see more of him this year. I just think it’s outlandish to say he’ll sustain this level of play as a 60 game starter somewhere. Because if he did, he’d be arguably the best goalie in the league. Could he sustain this level of play as a starter for one season? Sure. More than one season? The odds are heavily against him. I’m not arguing that he’s an inconsistent fluctuating goalie from year to year, like I did Reimer, who continues to be exactly that.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Dell as much as anybody and that's why I'll have a pretty short leash with Jones, if he lets in another 3-4 goals tomorrow. I just don't think Dell is a .930 goalie when playing 60 games in a season. That's not a knock, those are just Hart Trophy-like numbers. Never mind the Vezina.

I was a huge proponent of Dell getting 20-25 starts this year, I was critical of the decision to not play him more games last year, and I'd love to re-sign him right now , like literally tonight, because there's a really good chance that he's gonna provide really good goaltending to fall back on. I even said, he might be better than Jones. Maybe he's not, but maybe he is?

So I'm a huge fan of Dell.

It's just that when a backup goes to play somewhere as a starter, the numbers usually take a decline. This doesn't always mean they a decline to being bad, just a drop off from their backup load. Schneider has been a great starter (with the exception of last year), Talbot (having a bad year this year) has been a great starter. Darling has been a joke though, but he also wasn't as good of a backup as Dell has been either. They just suffered a bit of a drop in performance. It's to be expected.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
1. Those 3 stars are a friggin' joke. I watched the flames TV feed and it was really, really evenly called and good. I literally did not get annoyed even once through the whole game. The radio guys (Assuming they do the 3 stars) must be homer shitheads.

2. Donskoi is amazing. He has always had the skill but he is showing more motor than Karlsson these days. He's going to be huge going forward for us.

3. Flames are still the flames. Some great talents but overall not as tight of a system as ours.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The 3 stars should have been Meier, Tierney, and Donskoi. They were easily the 3 best players in the game, each of them had 1 G 1 A and they literally ran the game every time they stepped on the ice.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I like Dell as much as anybody and that's why I'll have a pretty short leash with Jones, if he lets in another 3-4 goals tomorrow. I just don't think Dell is a .930 goalie when playing 60 games in a season. That's not a knock, those are just Hart Trophy-like numbers. Never mind the Vezina.

I was a huge proponent of Dell getting 20-25 starts this year, I was critical of the decision to not play him more games last year, and I'd love to re-sign him right now , like literally tonight, because there's a really good chance that he's gonna provide really good goaltending to fall back on. I even said, he might be better than Jones. Maybe he's not, but maybe he is?

So I'm a huge fan of Dell.

It's just that when a backup goes to play somewhere as a starter, the numbers usually take a decline. This doesn't always mean they a decline to being bad, just a drop off from their backup load. Schneider has been a great starter (with the exception of last year), Talbot (having a bad year this year) has been a great starter. Darling has been a joke though, but he also wasn't as good of a backup as Dell has been either. They just suffered a bit of a drop in performance. It's to be expected.

I just don't get how people say Dell isn't a good goaltender. He is coming into his own, and getting better and better. We are in a luxury to have 2 solid tenders right now, but Jones needs to step his game up. I don't think Dell will want to stay and be the backup next season. I believe he will become a starter in the league at some point sooner or later. I also believe DW has fielded calls for him already.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
1. Those 3 stars are a friggin' joke. I watched the flames TV feed and it was really, really evenly called and good. I literally did not get annoyed even once through the whole game. The radio guys (Assuming they do the 3 stars) must be homer ****heads.

2. Donskoi is amazing. He has always had the skill but he is showing more motor than Karlsson these days. He's going to be huge going forward for us.

3. Flames are still the flames. Some great talents but overall not as tight of a system as ours.

The Flames radio broadcast features broadcasting poison Peter Loubardias on color commentary. He's awful. I'm mildly glad that he's at least not on play-by-play (with his grating "he skkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooorrrwwwwwwssssss!!!!" goal call.), but he seems hilariously miscast as a color commentator given that he has (to my knowledge) no actual hockey experience.

Reactions: Phu

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just don't get how people say Dell isn't a good goaltender. He is coming into his own, and getting better and better. We are in a luxury to have 2 solid tenders right now, but Jones needs to step his game up. I don't think Dell will want to stay and be the backup next season. I believe he will become a starter in the league at some point sooner or later. I also believe DW has fielded calls for him already.
He is a GOOD goaltender. My whole point of this has been that I'm skeptical that he'd be this .930+ goaltender as a 60 game starter, because it's really rare that it happens. There's usually only one guy that seems to do it every year and even the good ones that do it, don't sustain it for more than one year. Like Quick in 11-12? He hasn't .920 in a season since his .930 season in 11-12. Mike Smith that very same year? Ryan Miller in 09-10? I don't think any of them have had a .920 season since then. Dubnyk did it that one year and hasn't done it again. That's like a lock for the Vezina (unless there's multiple guys in the same season that are doing it, like when Quick, Smith and Lundqvist all did it in 11-12) and a strong consideration for the Hart Trophy. Tim Thomas hit .930 as a starter 2 times in 3 years. It just doesn't consistently happen though.

Dell is a great goaltender, I just don't think he's the best in the league. That's all I'm saying. I think he actually might be the best goaltender on the team though. Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to say. Jones has been average to just solid for his time here. He's been more impressive in the playoffs than anything, but just average/above average in the regular season. Dare I say reminiscent of Niemi (only much better in the playoffs, Niemi stunk in the playoffs, outside of 2013. He was a passenger for most of that 2010 cup run and was one of the worst players on the team for the 2011 WCF run) when he was here? I mean when he was here, not the Niemi now, that's just about out of the league.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
He is a GOOD goaltender. My whole point of this has been that I'm skeptical that he'd be this .930+ goaltender as a 60 game starter, because it's really rare that it happens. There's usually only one guy that seems to do it every year and even the good ones that do it, don't sustain it for more than one year. Like Quick in 11-12? He hasn't .920 in a season since his .930 season in 11-12. Mike Smith that very same year? Ryan Miller in 09-10? I don't think any of them have had a .920 season since then. Dubnyk did it that one year and hasn't done it again. That's like a lock for the Vezina (unless there's multiple guys in the same season that are doing it, like when Quick, Smith and Lundqvist all did it in 11-12) and a strong consideration for the Hart Trophy. Tim Thomas hit .930 as a starter 2 times in 3 years. It just doesn't consistently happen though.

Dell is a great goaltender, I just don't think he's the best in the league. That's all I'm saying. I think he actually might be the best goaltender on the team though. Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to say. Jones has been average to just solid for his time here. He's been more impressive in the playoffs than anything, but just average/above average in the regular season. Dare I say reminiscent of Niemi (only much better in the playoffs, Niemi stunk in the playoffs, outside of 2013. He was a passenger for most of that 2010 cup run and was one of the worst players on the team for the 2011 WCF run) when he was here? I mean when he was here, not the Niemi now, that's just about out of the league.

Well we are talking Roy, Hasek, Brodeur type season's, and nobody has put up those numbers as a starter except Bobrovsky when he won the Vezina last season. Dell finished at an even 2.00 GAA even when we finished the season so poorly last season. Yes he only played 20 games, but that's very impressive. I remember him being under 1.80 GAA at one point which is insane. The weak goals that Jones has let in have been back breakers, especially early on in games. We just lose steam and the team just doesn't play as hard in front of him. I don't know, Dell seems to pick everyone up more.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Nice win against an important divisonal rival. As we line up against more divisional foes we'll need to win most of these to get into the playoffs for sure.

Notes
1) Interesting that Dell started over Jones in this first of back to backs. I like the call
and it worked with the win. Dell is really strong for the defensive system we play, i look for
PDB to play which ever is playing better in key games moving forward if they are both playing well.
2) Doni was great in his return! Love that line with Tierney and Timo. Nice to see some
depth scoring recently as we'll need it to get into the playoffs and run deep!
3) Another PPG! We'll need a 10 PP to complement our not so top 10 5 on 5 scoring.
4) The Joes are struggling, it's sad to watch.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nice win against an important divisonal rival. As we line up against more divisional foes we'll need to win most of these to get into the playoffs for sure.

Notes
1) Interesting that Dell started over Jones in this first of back to backs. I like the call
and it worked with the win. Dell is really strong for the defensive system we play, i look for
PDB to play which ever is playing better in key games moving forward if they are both playing well.
2) Doni was great in his return! Love that line with Tierney and Timo. Nice to see some
depth scoring recently as we'll need it to get into the playoffs and run deep!
3) Another PPG! We'll need a 10 PP to complement our not so top 10 5 on 5 scoring.
4) The Joes are struggling, it's sad to watch.

Calgary broadcast somewhat baselessly, somewhat intriguingly speculate that there was a method to this madness:

Dell is from Airdrie Alberta, near Calgary.

Jones is from North Vancouver.

Each goalie then gets to start the game that is essentially a "home" game for their family and friends.

Reactions: Phu

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Ugh missed snog by 1 goal scorer. I thought the Tierney line looked amazing. Basically any line Donskoi is on dominates. He is an animal.

I'm sorry to the tank crowd, but if you put Evander Kane on the top line for Karlsson we are absolutely a contender. Gives us 3 good lines which has been the naysayers top argument that we only have 2 lines.

Dell was awesome, Demelo...not so much. I'd really like to see Ryan slot in for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well we are talking Roy, Hasek, Brodeur type season's, and nobody has put up those numbers as a starter except Bobrovsky when he won the Vezina last season. Dell finished at an even 2.00 GAA even when we finished the season so poorly last season. Yes he only played 20 games, but that's very impressive. I remember him being under 1.80 GAA at one point which is insane. The weak goals that Jones has let in have been back breakers, especially early on in games. We just lose steam and the team just doesn't play as hard in front of him. I don't know, Dell seems to pick everyone up more.
It's been a while since the Sharks had a backup that was this good. Stalock was good for one season, then crapped out for the rest. Reimer was good for 8 games over a month stretch, but Dell has managed to be that good for 32 games over two different seasons. Kiprusoff stunk as a Shark, it wasn't until after he was traded to Calgary that he became good. Even Toskala wasn't that good. He had one really good season in 03-04, then he managed to play alright in a season where Nabby had a really bad year. He wasn't really that good in 05-06, as much as Nabby was just bad that year. That was the post-lockout year where save percentages were down and .901 was the league average that year, so Toskala's .901 wasn't as bad as it would be in a normal season. It was just average. Greiss was just average and continues to fluctuate by the year. Boucher wasn't a bad backup for a year and a couple starts.

I'd like to keep Dell for another couple years. At least sign him to a two year deal, then try to flip him after next year, where he has one more year left. I have no faith in Grosenick, who is the same age as Dell. It's not like he's a young prospect with a high ceiling. And what are the chances you get another Dell out of Grosenick? Also considering that Grosenick will be two years older this next year than Dell was when he made his full time debut in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad