GDT: Sharks @ Ducks - 7:30 PM PT - super-late uninspiring play edition

Favorite Carlyle post game excuse

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Just look at Vegas. Gallant rolled 4 lines all the way through a 2 OT game that Vegas thoroughly dominated.

Vegas is a team that pretty much consists of guys who were third or fourth liners elsewhere, but because they play a high energy style and focus on possession they score, and therefore win, a lot. Yes, they got a couple of really good players and others had breakout years, but that's due in part to Gallant's up-tempo style and willingness to give his players ice time. He really nailed what it takes to succeed in the modern NHL and worked with his GM to ensure he had the right personnel for his game plan. RC wants old, slow veterans to dump it in, then recover it, then get set up, then cycle it. The team looks worse because Fowler is such a good skater and they don't have him, but RC can't and wont adapt. As the game's gotten faster he's stuck to his guns. I can't and wont call him a bad coach, bad coaches don't have relatively consistent success, but the game has passed him by. Ken Hitchcock is retiring and one of the reasons he gave is that it is time for the next generation of coaches to take over. I think RC's time in this league is up, and it is time for him to retire on his own terms before he gets forced out. Of course, that requires that Murray be willing to fire him, which is a longshot, but it's happened before....

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Roy 25 games and Kossila 10 games that had a decent enough chance to show something.

I said it wasn't just a RC thing. A lot of coaches don't throw out players with no NHL experience in such big game if they can avoid it.

It's tough to gain too much nhl experience when our coach keeps rolling out a useless plug like Bieksa, no matter what mistakes he makes, night after night. Take that loser off the ice 10-15 games this season and get the young d guys some actually NHL speed experience before the playoffs come around. But no, roll a 4 minute useless fourth line, and keep veteran presence Bieksa out there making plays a college coach would bench him for, but not the idiot behind our bench

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
So many people eager to throw our kids into the fire and hope they don't get burned and scarred hmm...

Jesus. If they come up and don't succeed they aren't going to be scarred for the rest of their f***ing careers. And if they are they don't have the mental fortitude to be NHL players to begin with. Are the Ducks in the business of winning hockey games or not? Does having Bieksa/Vermette in the lineup honestly give us a better chance of winning a game than a kid with actual skills albeit unproven? I think the answer to that is pretty clearly no. Either way it's a good experience for a young player to have going forward in their progression IMHO.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Archaic coach using an outdated system, and players who probably like to go along with it because it’s actually less effort for them. Who needs that constant pressure which involves lots of skating? Standing around and circling in your little patch of ice in the defensive zone is much better.

And on the rare occasion they get the puck moving quickly and the opponent out of position, they’re polite enough to hold on to it a while so the defense and goalie can catch up.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We're talking about people in their early 20's, not 10 year olds. They're not going to get 'burned or scarred' because of seeing some icetime on the 4th line at the NHL level.

Jesus. If they come up and don't succeed they aren't going to be scarred for the rest of their ****ing careers. And if they are they don't have the mental fortitude to be NHL players to begin with. Are the Ducks in the business of winning hockey games or not? Does having Bieksa/Vermette in the lineup honestly give us a better chance of winning a game than a kid with actual skills albeit unproven? I think the answer to that is pretty clearly no. Either way it's a good experience for a young player to have going forward in their progression IMHO.

They can be negatively effected by being put in a situation they aren't ready for . I get it Bieksa sucks and Vermette sucks but come on don't throw them into such big games when they have so little NHL experience. I am not the only one who thinks like this so many coaches do as well.

Reactions: Beretta 390

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Players that didn't have a shot on goal tonight - Vermette/Brown/Manson/Pettersson/Getzlaf.

It's simply inexcusable to have that great of shot and to refuse to use it to help your team.
Nothing signifies the frustration with Getz more than the PP in the 3rd. Someone makes a brilliant cross ice pass to him, but instead of one-timing the puck (which I’ll excuse him for since no one does that on this team) or making some sort of quick play on the net, he holds onto it for about 3 seconds so all 4 PK’ers and the goalie can get back into position. And then he tries to make some matrix like pass into the middle of the box for a miracle redirect. It’s an epidemic on this team.

Also Ritchie and Rakell can go take a seat in the corner. Worse than useless.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
All the vets vs. youth arguing is moot as long as this administration is in place. Kase would have been in SD if Eaves wouldn't have taken ill. Roy and Kossila only got a sniff because of the massive injury bug. Terry got a charity couple of games, but RC's heart was not in it. Pettersson got a spot because of injury and Welinski has been an afterthought. Theodore was deemed expendable rather than ask Bieksa to waive. These guys are going to ride the Getz/Kes/Perry horse until it drops, and I can't say that is the wrong way to go. If Henry ever decides to reset, I doubt if BM and RC will be on board anymore.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
They can be negatively effected by being put in a situation they aren't ready for . I get it Bieksa sucks and Vermette sucks but come on don't throw them into such big games when they have so little NHL experience. I am not the only one who thinks like this so many coaches do as well.

They wouldn't have "so little NHL experience" if Mr. Potatohead had played them MORE DURING THE SEASON. Then they would be prepared come playoff time.

And you mean coaches like Paul Maurice who threw Roslovic into the top 9 for his 1st playoff game? He had an assist btw. How about Boudreau who is icing 2 dmen with a combined 25 NHL games? Look at Boston's lineup full of rookies. Not doing too bad eh?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
They wouldn't have "so little NHL experience" if Mr. Potatohead had played them MORE DURING THE SEASON. Then they would be prepared come playoff time.

And you mean coaches like Paul Maurice who threw Roslovic into the top 9 for his 1st playoff game? He had an assist btw. How about Boudreau who is icing 2 dmen with a combined 25 NHL games? Look at Boston's lineup full of rookies. Not doing too bad eh?

I generally agree with your point but Boudreau has no choice, he is missing his two best dmen. He was just as bad as RC at times giving Bieksa huge minutes in the playoffs when he was making mistake after mistake.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
I generally agree with your point but Boudreau has no choice, he is missing his two best dmen. He was just as bad as RC at times giving Bieksa huge minutes in the playoffs when he was making mistake after mistake.

Spurgeon is back so they're only missing Suter. The point still stands he's playing two really green kids on D over vets that are not any good like Ryan Murphy, Alex Grant, and Kyle Quincey. He was wrong to play Bieksa like he did, but in his defense he did only do it for one year. Carlyle has doubled that stupidity.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
All the vets vs. youth arguing is moot as long as this administration is in place. Kase would have been in SD if Eaves wouldn't have taken ill. Roy and Kossila only got a sniff because of the massive injury bug. Terry got a charity couple of games, but RC's heart was not in it. Pettersson got a spot because of injury and Welinski has been an afterthought. Theodore was deemed expendable rather than ask Bieksa to waive. These guys are going to ride the Getz/Kes/Perry horse until it drops, and I can't say that is the wrong way to go. If Henry ever decides to reset, I doubt if BM and RC will be on board anymore.

There's no reason it has to be either or. I know the argument about not bringing up potential top 6 youngsters and playing them on the 4th line, but if you have a coach with an open mind who understands where the game is going I see no reason why you can't work those guys in on a 4th line that isn't just a grinder line. Put together a 4th line with a couple of young offensively talented guys and a defense first vet. You're not sending them out against the other teams top lines. You match 4th lines. I see no reason that can't work as a "system". When and if certain guys need more seasoning, fine, send them back down and try someone else. How that "system" is any worse than sending out the Chimera, Kelly, Vermettes for 5 minutes a nite is beyond me.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Bieksa also wasn't as bad when he first got here. He's never been the fastest guy but he's declined big time in just a few years, and seems to make more mistakes as well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Am I mistaken or is every series 2-0

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Home ice advantage really came in handy. This is where Carlyle really excels.

You have to be insane to think Bieksa is better than Welinski. I have never seen a worse defenseman. He cost us yet another game.

But I'm sure it'll turn around. No man can withstand that much grit, physicality and veteran presence...

Reactions: Trojans86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad