GDT: Sharks @ Ducks - 7:30 PM PT - super-late uninspiring play edition

Favorite Carlyle post game excuse

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, there's nothing to blow up. Aren't getting rid of Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler, shouldn't get rid of Gibson/Lindholm/Rakell.

There will be minor adjustments this offseason. Beauchemin, Vermette, Bieksa will retire. Murray will sign a Dman that no one wants him to sign. He'll get Kase signed, and maybe trade Ritchie and one of Silfverberg/Henrique. Then we'll drop the puck in October.

Nothing is getting blown up until Perry and Kesler are in the last years of their deals.

This will likely be a first round exit blackhole team until that Kesler contract is done. It's sad, but there is almost no avoiding it at this point. We're married to this core, and they couldn't get it done when they were 30, so there is no reason to expect them to get it done when they're 34 (barring a massive jump from a couple young players into star level

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Montour has really stepped up... kase and silf have been our best forwards.

The reason Montour has "stepped up" is because we have been behind in both games and RC had to unleash him. If we get the RC grind game going early, he just looks like the same boring guy he was most of the season other than the beginning and end. Sure, he makes mistakes because he is young, but I don't see him being a defensive black hole when he is more aggressive. Imagine if he played like that all the time. f*** Bob and Randy.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It's a little concerning that we are an "even" straight team and the only goal we have all series a beer league goalie would have stopped.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The difference I see is Donato is going onto a team that has shown dominance over the other team, I'm not sure what their reason is for bringing him in, but it seems like it's to help him. While on the other hand bringing in Roy or Terry or whoever to me seems like we are bringing them up to save us. That's going to put a lot of unneeded pressure on them. It just doesn't seem worth it to me, but I also don't have a lot of hopes for most of our older forward prospects to be impact NHLers at all so I rather keep what we have (better the devil you know).

I hear what you are saying but don't agree. Nobody should be expecting them to carry the team. I think you bring those guys in with the hope that they are no worse than the shit Bob and Randy like, possibly better, and specifically that they get some NHL experience which helps them develop sooner.

Obviously you cannot take that approach with every young player, but I truly believe it is the future of the NHL. With the current CBA and 27 Y/O UFA you just can't leave guys in the A until they are waiver eligible and then hope for the best when you have to carry them or lose them. The key is having a coach who understands how to utilize the young guys in a way beneficial to the the team and the player. Unfortunately, that will never be Bob and Randy.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
How is Eakins in SanDiego anyway? There would be a lot of satisfaction if he came up and we did well just to jam that in Oilers fans faces haha. Not that we should hire a coach for that reason lol.

Probably Hans in Gulls thread can give a good answer, but the little I've followed is Gulls getting severely outshot game after game. And they just managed to blow the playoff position by failing to get 3 points in their last seven, or so games. I'm not holding my breath for Eakins being the answer.

Sticky2

May 2, 2017
Agree. They'll take one more shot with this roster core unless ownership decides to blow it up.

Why though? When they were all better players they couldn't get over the hump. We had solid shots at a cup and I'm still wondering how we didn't get one cup out of this core when they were at their best.

They aren't getting any better. It's the opposite while other teams are improving.

That run to make the playoffs seems to be fools gold. It would have been better to miss the playoffs which would force some hard changes that otherwise won't come.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Why though? When they were all better players they couldn't get over the hump. We had solid shots at a cup and I'm still wondering how we didn't get one cup out of this core when they were at their best.

They aren't getting any better. It's the opposite while other teams are improving.

That run to make the playoffs seems to be fools gold. It would have been better to miss the playoffs which would force some hard changes that otherwise won't come.
We don't have any choice given the NMC contracts Getz, Perry, and Kesler have. None of them are going anywhere and right now Getz looks like the last man standing as far as not having seriously degraded. It is what it is, regardless of how you define is. ;)

Reactions: Deuce22

Sticky2

May 2, 2017
We don't have any choice given the NMC contracts Getz, Perry, and Kesler have. None of them are going anywhere and right now Getz looks like the last man standing as far as not having seriously degraded. It is what it is, regardless of how you define is. ;)

Well at the very least we can bitch about the NMC's here until they retire.

Yet there were those saying Perry was worth overpaying for... where did they disappear to?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well at the very least we can ***** about the NMC's here until they retire.

Yet there were those saying Perry was worth overpaying for... where did they disappear to?
There was no question Getz and Perry had to be paid what they were at the time. It's just how things are. Now the Kesler signing I think Bob got bent over. That was too much for too long for a guy who would be 32 when the contract kicked in. And it seemed like Bob spent less time grinding Kesler than he spends ordering his coffee at Starbucks.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
Then BM is a hypocrite. He fired BB strictly due to not winning the cup

And how can the injuries even be an excuse at this point? We have one key guy out. Sure. But it’s clear that the problems we are having in this series are systematic.

We are getting hemmed in and shut down.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011

He'll praise Carlyle for the late-season push and even making the playoffs despite the injuries. The Fowler injury will be blamed for this series loss. No chance Carlyle goes anywhere in the offseason even if this turns into a sweep. I envy the teams that have owners with an actual mind for hockey. Henry Samuelli will just keep raising ticket prices to make up for less fans showing up to games, and as long as they're making the playoffs then that's just a bonus. This team needs a new GM and a coach, but that won't happen because our owner just doesn't care about that aspect of the game. If Bob isn't going anywhere, then neither is Carlyle. The team would need a massive decline in season ticket sales for a change in management to be considered. I stopped being a season ticket holder after I saw what Carlyle turned the team into last year. Not gonna support it. I haven't even watched a game on local cable this year because that would contribute to ratings. I don't expect anyone to do the same, but wish more would in order to wake up Henry Samuelli to the fact that this team's current management is a joke and the fans are sick of it.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

BM didn't have the same relationship with BB that he does with carlyle. BM and carlyle go way back

there's no good reason to bring carlyle back but he'll 100% be back because of his relationship with BM. doesn't matter that the game passed him by years ago and that he's completely out of touch. he got the team to the playoffs and injuries which is enough for BM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Since the 2008 playoffs, we've ended up in a 0-2 hole despite having home-ice advantage FIVE TIMES (four in the past five years):
2008 - Dallas Stars
2014 - Los Angeles Kings
2016 - Nashville Predators
2017 - Edmonton Oilers (only time we managed to win the series)
2018 - San Jose Sharks

That's gotta be a record.
Our leadership sucks

Reactions: The Duck Knight

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
And how can the injuries even be an excuse at this point? We have one key guy out. Sure. But it’s clear that the problems we are having in this series are systematic.

We are getting hemmed in and shut down.
Fowler out, Kes still injured, missing Eaves is all the excuses he'll need. Murray won't have the balls to fire RC again.

Reactions: Duck Off
Oct 18, 2011
Feel like this is worth mentioning. Randy played the f*** outta Getzy down the stretch. He's too old and has too many miles on him to be doing what he does and remain a consistent force. Randy's insistence on not developing a fourth line has consequences. Everv year it feels like Getzy starts running out of gas a little earlier each season and I can't help but think the heavy minutes catches up or at least contributes.

There is not a center near Getzlafs age in the league that's asked to do what he does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad