GDT: Sharks @ Canucks, 7pm

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Gregor Watch II: Watch Harder (aka the 2nd period)

Royals now trail 3-1 and continue to mostly suck except for a burst by #22 in white and blue. They spent most of the period in their own end. Gregor himself was a little less engaged overall until the final minute of the period where he led one rush and made a good pass, and then went tick-tack-toe with his linemates to finish the play with a nice bar-down snapper. Always gotta go bardownski.

Let's call it a B grade period

2nd period highlights:
2017-12-15 20.37.28.jpg

(90% of the period. Gregor on the right)

2017-12-15 20.38.11.jpg

(That's Gregor getting plowed in the back and falling in front of the net)

2017-12-15 20.51.18.jpg

(Blurry goal celebration)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I agree.

Shot based stats are about as useless as Melker Karlsson with the Joe's.

Vlasic and Braun are a team high +9 despite taking the touchest matchups and defensive zone draws for the other defensemen. With those kind of numbers I don't give a **** about the shot +/- when they're on the ice. Despite his injury, Vlasic is also able to sustain his usual scoring pace up to that point. He's doing just fine.

If somebody disproves this like they did your ridiculous suggestion that the Sharks play better without Tim Heed in the lineup, will you admit you were wrong?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's funny cause I think Braun has actually been pretty solid this year, even though his advanced stats look downright awful.

Overall he's having a good season but the last few games he was brutal. Tons of turnovers. Not sure what's wrong with him.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Man, if only we had the wonderful euro scouts we have now back in jumbo's prime.
Donskoi. Sorenson. Karlsson.
Having free players of that quality with the top end players we used to have would've been the difference. Instead of icing a liability of a bottom six, minus pavelski, we would've been loaded.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If somebody disproves this like they did your ridiculous suggestion that the Sharks play better without Tim Heed in the lineup, will you admit you were wrong?

I just did, didn't I. To read something out of shot based stats you gotta consider so many other numbers and may even have inside knowledge. You clearly don't have a clue. Vlasic, maybe together with Braun, is the most effective Sharks defender no matter what the Shot totals say.

And regarding Heed, I couldn't care less about the guy. He's fine but I rather want Ryan in.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Unfortunately, you’re arguing with someone whose measure of “good” is plus/minus. “Vlasic is a plus player despite getting caved in possession-wise. Thusly, I have proved corsi is useless!”

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, you’re arguing with someone whose measure of “good” is plus/minus. “Vlasic is a plus player despite getting caved in possession-wise. Thusly, I have proved corsi is useless!”
In the same vain, Corsi isn't the end all be all. It's usually a good, if the not the best, measuring statistic, but it can be flawed. Lots of players with fantastic Corsi who can't score or support scoring and vice versa. Nieto and Kennedy are two recent examples of players with awesome Corsi who couldn't score.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I disagree. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't mess with shot based numbers if you don't understand them and don't have inside knowledge.
To start, it's kinda hard to generate better Corsi than your teammates if you start most shifts in your own zone against top lines while the others get the easier matchups and offensive zone starts. And that's just one thing to consider. I don't know any more than the other guy, that's why I'm not using those numbers. I can only advise him to do the same.

All I care about is the team outscoring opponents. I couldn't care less whether they do it with 10-30 or 30-10 shots or who's in the ice when they shoot the puck. Vlasic is doing the hard work for the others and is still helping to outscore opponents like nobody else. He can't be that bad.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Looked more like his mouth.
Either way, didn't look good. He was either in massive amounts of pain or not there from a concussion. The way he skated off and he made his way to the locker room was very gingerly. Not sure if it was just from pain or being concussed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad