GDT: Sharks @ Canucks, 7pm

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Vlasic and Braun both have bad advanced stats and they both look bad. Curious how they would look split up for an extended period of time, but Deboer has a higher chance of splitting the Joes...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In the same vain, Corsi isn't the end all be all. It's usually a good, if the not the best, measuring statistic, but it can be flawed. Lots of players with fantastic Corsi who can't score or support scoring and vice versa. Nieto and Kennedy are two recent examples of players with awesome Corsi who couldn't score.

Good thing literally nobody thinks that corsi is an end-all be-all measure.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I disagree. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't mess with shot based numbers if you don't understand them and don't have inside knowledge.
To start, it's kinda hard to generate better Corsi than your teammates if you start most shifts in your own zone against top lines while the others get the easier matchups and offensive zone starts. And that's just one thing to consider. I don't know any more than the other guy, that's why I'm not using those numbers. I can only advise him to do the same.

All I care about is the team outscoring opponents. I couldn't care less whether they do it with 10-30 or 30-10 shots or who's in the ice when they shoot the puck. Vlasic is doing the hard work for the others and is still helping to outscore opponents like nobody else. He can't be that bad.

No one said he's bad. He's playing way below the lofty expectations his past play set in our eyes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In the same vain, Corsi isn't the end all be all. It's usually a good, if the not the best, measuring statistic, but it can be flawed. Lots of players with fantastic Corsi who can't score or support scoring and vice versa. Nieto and Kennedy are two recent examples of players with awesome Corsi who couldn't score.

Yes, Corsi is not the be all end all, but I'm not even using Corsi, I'm using XGF%.

Vlasic has put up the 11th best XGF% in the league over a MASSIVE sample size. This year he is 15th best on his own team and I'm pretty sure his numbers were poor last year as well. You don't find this even slightly concerning?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vlasic and Braun both have bad advanced stats and they both look bad. Curious how they would look split up for an extended period of time, but Deboer has a higher chance of splitting the Joes...

There must be something wrong with Braun. But then again...as long as they're getting their job done why should DeBoer break them up? I wouldn't...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yes, Corsi is not the be all end all, but I'm not even using Corsi, I'm using XGF%.

Vlasic has put up the 11th best XGF% in the league over a MASSIVE sample size. This year he is 15th best on his own team and I'm pretty sure his numbers were poor last year as well. You don't find this even slightly concerning?

No.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

(XGF% is worse than plain corsi.)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Meier getting the Ward/Karlsson ultimate skill treatment. He must be close from committing suicide...

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The best thing this franchise could do is trade Vlasic right now. However, there is absolutely zero reason to believe it’ll happen. DW gave him that contract and claimed that he expects Vlasic to be even better. By the time he realizes that Vlasic isn’t nearly as good as he used to be, that contract will be untradeable . We all gave Vlasic a pass for last season, claiming he must have been injured and it was all Braun’s fault and he was playing insanely tough matchups. I’m done making excuses for him. He’s still playing like crap.

Vlasic isn't playing to his usual standard, but he is tied for +- on the team while facing top competition. Maybe Braun is carrying him?

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
burnspentor_zps8e0d9981.jpg

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Vlasic isn't playing to his usual standard, but he is tied for +- on the team while facing top competition. Maybe Braun is carrying him?

Maybe earlier this season. Yeah. Could well be. Lately the eye test would say it's the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad