Speculation: Shanny, Treliving, and Keefe; what is your end game?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Anyone think Brad and Shanny are just waiting for this road trip and the back to back with Jets to be over before firing Keefe, and let Boucher takes over. Since this is a tough road trip plus back to back with Jets.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Anyone think Brad and Shanny are just waiting for this road trip and the back to back with Jets to be over before firing Keefe, and let Boucher takes over. Since this is a tough road trip plus back to back with Jets.
Boucher might not be my favourite suggestion for a replacement just because it's been some time since he's been the lead man behind the bench. Furthermore, assuming a change is being made due to the team's poor performance, I don't love the idea of then promoting from within the current staff that has overseen said subpar performance. Can obviously understand why he'd be the choice on an interim basis though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yep, that's what I think too, they lose tonight and then back to back against the Jets Keefe is toast whether he deserves it or not.
This might just be the year where we miss the playoffs like TB years ago(think 7). Then become one of the best team in the league and win back to back Cup.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That would be awesome, I'd be willing to miss the playoffs two years in a row for that.
Think they missed one, which was our first year. We got Boyle.
Then they got eliminated in the 2nd round the follow year. First round after that. Then won back to back Cup.

I think that’s a good pattern to follow.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
This might just be the year where we miss the playoffs like TB years ago(think 7). Then become one of the best team in the league and win back to back Cup.
I don't think Shanny survives that as all he has ever provided is regular season awesomeness. I did hear one of the sports jocks on the radio today talking about how if the club is stumbling they might decide this isn't the year to spend on lineup upgrades. That really implies the management group has not reached the end of their runway.

I have also not heard much media criticism of Keefe based on the big regular seasons. Like its his ability that gives them the 50 win years and its the team's lineup holes that are the reason why they don't win. It is possible the Board believes this too and so long as the regular season finishes okay thats enough because Cups are voodoo and its only a matter of time.

I strongly feel that Shanny and Keefe will both stick around so long as the club charges harder the second half, and they will make a deal or two to support that. There is absolutely no sense of urgency.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's not Treliving's doing. This current roster construction is due to the horrible mismanagement of assets and player evaluations over the past 3-4 years by the former GM who wasted the prime contending window of the current core.

You started laying blame on Treliving as soon as the hire was announced. If the roster construction is poor this time next year than that will reflect on Treviling.....he is still dealing with the mess of a poker hand he was dealt.

We went from 6th fewest goals against to 22nd due to Treliving. We were literally a good defensive team before this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I still don’t think they manage to miss the playoffs, but can’t say I would be shocked at this point either.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Signed a great UFA center, mistake was giving him the C when in his previous stop he was only able to lead his team to 1 playoff round win. Rielly was the right choice. JT has led the Leafs to exactly one round win in almost as long as he spent in NYI.

Coddled superstar core by shielding them, sheltering them, pampering them. They reward your efforts with blind greed and no extra gear when it matters.

Leadership group is so garbage that every trade deadline/UFA period you need to bring in vocal veterans that can set an example on how to win.

Those 'leaders' include Jumbo Joe, a guy who hasn't given a shit in a decade, and Patrick Marleau, a guy who was such a crap leader that he had the C stripped off his chest in San Jose.

So top heavy you have ahl level players, over the hill veterans and literally the oldest man in the league on the blueline, a rookie goalie, a headcase russian, and a waiver wire veteran in net. The PR machine somehow made you believe they were a cup contender when in truth the bottom of the lineup is simply not good enough to make a serious run.

Did I miss anything?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We went from 6th fewest goals for to 22nd due to Treliving. We were literally a good defensive team before this season.

The issue was Trelivings bet this offseason was to bring in more offensive minded players at the expense of guys who were better defensively. And unfortunately these offensive guys have also underperformed (other than Domi whose doing fine given his usage)

I don't mind that guys like Kerfoot and Holl left (they DID need to shake up the depth support players) but they were better at keeping the puck out the net then their replacements

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The issue was Trelivings bet this offseason was to bring in more offensive minded players at the expense of guys who were better defensively. And unfortunately these offensive guys have also underperformed (other than Domi whose doing fine given his usage)

I don't mind that guys like Kerfoot and Holl left (they DID need to shake up the depth support players) but they were better at keeping the puck out the net then their replacements

This also with Nylander and Matthews being better than last season. I liked the idea of going for more offense but not at the expense of this much defense. We can only hope we’re able to acquire another good defenseman and Woll returns 100%, only then could we begin to approach what we were last season. Oh yeah and we’re obviously due for a coaching change at this point, maybe it will actually make a big difference too.

Last edited:

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
New end game: sell everything you can at this tdl. Go for high draft pick or flippable capital for next year with potentially new coach next year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Beside not drafting Carlo or Aho in Dermott spot or Carter Hart on that Russian spot the following year.

I really think getting Boyle in the first year TDL and signing Marleau that summer were two mistakes that nobody seem to talk about.

They should had kept going and trade guys away instead of trading for a rental in the first year. Boyle was a 4C. Come on, putting Leo there will do the job too.
Marleau is such a cancer to the team, still think he taught the boys to worry about himself instead of winning the Cup for the team.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
We went from 6th fewest goals against to 22nd due to Treliving. We were literally a good defensive team before this season.

This team has never been a good defensive team, Samsonov played at a high level last year which helped the numbers you quoted above but to say last years team was good defensivly is a stretch.

Would you be willing to entertain the idea that some of this might be because:

Giordano - time caught up with him and he is no longer an everyday dman.
Brodie - continuing his god awful play from the post season and should be used as a sheltered 3rd pairing dman at this point.
McCabe - a full season of his less than effective defending (instead of his handful of games after TDL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad