Shane Pinto's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Does any fan really care about this? They draft players with egregious pasts, I don't think anyone will care about this, other than it would be nice to have him on the team.
Could not possibly care less. This isn't egregious. I have it at about smoking a doobie as a comparable. I'd bet half the league has things from their past that would be more bothersome, but likely just as irrelevant.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Chicago, Montreal, Boston, Columbus...

Then some guy does something around betting and it's a moral failure. But just don't look at all the betting revenue coming in the league.
sorry Dude, When you wrote they draft guys with... I assumed the Sens and I assumed Gabriel Gagne

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's definitely trying to be dramatic. Yes, missing half a year after already missing a year with injury, having to accept a lower contract which may lower future contracts, etc. Those things could negatively affect what his career prospects could have been. Or... he could come back have a decent second half and sign an 8 year deal.
These are Dorions words I highly doubt Andlauer and Staios want this type of message out there. The later is far more likely. Its an asinine comment that comes from a guy that never played the sport and cant put a sentence together. Its sad and reflects very poorly on this market.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
These are Dorions words I highly doubt Andlauer and Staios want this type of message out there. The later is far more likely. Its an asinine comment that comes from a guy that never played the sport and cant put a sentence together. Its sad and reflects very poorly on this market.
What are Dorion's words?

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

From 2:09 on 'Quite frankly claire this could very well derail his career'.

STFU
Can definitely see your interpretation based just on that interview. Still think he's talking about the process of making his way back, conditioning etc., but that impression comes from the print articles he's put out today.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Senators could now just offer him the league minimum, or just over, for the 2023/24 season and work on multi year contract in the offseason.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Anyways, moot point now. Obviously he hasn’t been signed because of this.

Damn.
The timing of the various events will have to be determined in order to assess what happened when and why. I think Pinto did not sign a contract because the Senators did not offer a salary and term acceptable to Pinto. It was probably a low ball low AAV offer during the summer and only withdrawn recently (i.e., during training camp or sometime during the current season).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Whatever happened to Gary Cooper? The strong silent type?
The real Gary Cooper led an interesting private life!

Guess not signing him is the right call, but who would have known about this under normal situations.
Based on what I have heard and read in the media, the team did not know until just before the start of training camp.

If that is true, then the complaints about Dorion still hold true.

If not true, then someone may not be telling the whole truth about who knew what and when.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinM

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bettman on Sirius XM radio NHL channel 91 in the 4pm hour, I'm sure Pinto will be a question.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
But then again no one knows exactly when Dorion learned about this, so I think that Dorion knew about this this summer when he signed Tarasenko, it's the only explanation to why he would signed Tarasenko before signing Pinto. He knew that Pinto was going to be eligible to play until January.
That is an unsupported theory based on statements made to date by sources.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
After listening to all the reports by insiders (Friedman, Lebrun, Dreger) + Garrioch, it's been reported that:
- the infraction was giving access to a 3rd party to his online gambling account.
- it was discovered by the gambling company via IP addresses.
- the activities occurred last season. His account was accessed in another area while he was in a different location such as playing a game at the same time in another city.
- no one is allowed to give access to their accounts to anyone else. The punishment may seem harsh but they expect NHL players to follow the rules.
- none of the wagers were on NHL games.
- Senators became aware of the issue before training camp.
- Senators were advised a couple of weeks ago that the investigation was completed and were told to stop negotiating. The timing coincides with Shayne being Ottawa and then leaving abruptly.
- A new contract can be signed on Jan 1 or later because he is a RFA2 so the Dec 1st deadline doesn't apply to him.
- His contract will not affect the cap while he's suspended. I think this also means it won't double up when he does return as he will not be receiving any salary while on suspension so he'll only be paid for 41 games.

Speculation is that he will be offered a low-ball offer for the remainder of this season.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
After listening to all the reports by insiders (Friedman, Lebrun, Dreger) + Garrioch, it's been reported that:
- the infraction was giving access to a 3rd party to his online gambling account.
- the activities occurred last season. His account was accessed in another area while he was in a different location such as playing a game at the same time in another city.
- no one is allowed to give access to their accounts to anyone else. The punishment may seem harsh but they expect NHL players to follow the rules.
- Senators were advised a couple of weeks ago that the investigation was completed and were told to stop negotiating. The timing coincides with Shayne being Ottawa and then leaving abruptly.
- A new contract can be signed on Jan 1 or later because he is a RFA2 so the Dec 1st deadline doesn't apply to him.
- His contract will not affect the cap while he's suspended. I think this also means it won't double up when he does return as he will not be receiving any salary while on suspension so he'll only be paid for 41 games.

Speculation is that he will be offered a low-ball offer for the remainder of this season.
Freidman speculated IP addresses, but with VPN's that wouldn't work, but not sure if Pinto uses VPN's.
It was likely gave someone sign in credentials, and it was his account that set off a red flag.
Rest of summary seems fine.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Can they offer him a little less than the contract he wanted (say $2M for one year) now, knowing that only half of it will be paid and count toward the cap because of the suspension, making it a lot easier to fit under the cap when he comes back?

Then on Jan 1st, they sign the contract for next year, possible making up for the lesser contract.

Or are we sure that at this point Pinto is desperate for a contract and will accept the low-ball amount that you mentioned?

Either way, why wait? Let's get stuff signed now.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Freidman speculated IP addresses, but with VPN's that wouldn't work, but not sure if Pinto uses VPN's.
It was likely gave someone sign in credentials, and it was his account that set off a red flag.
I didn't consider VPNs and forgot that Friedman was speculating. My bad, thx for clarifying.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's been a while, but I feel like when I'd read up on VPN's in the context of piracy, there was a lot of dialogue about which ones kept logs and turned over records to law enforcement and/or copyright holders and which ones "supposedly" didn't. There seems to be a path to someone using a VPN, but them still getting to the actual IP location through legal means. No idea if that would apply here, but your comment jogged my memory on that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's been a while, but I feel like when I'd read up on VPN's in the context of piracy, there was a lot of dialogue about which ones kept logs and turned over records to law enforcement and/or copyright holders and which ones "supposedly" didn't. There seems to be a path to someone using a VPN, but them still getting to the actual IP location through legal means. No idea if that would apply here, but your comment jogged my memory on that.
the summary was fine without getting into VPNs. If they were able to do any identification using IP addresses the VPN point is moot anyway

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Is it true that "none of the wagers were on NHL games"? Is that an exact quote?

I heard that the NHL did not have any evidence that Pinto bet on NHL games, but that is different than the above statement.

I also heard on TV that the NHL does not have any prohibitions on players betting on non-NHL sporting events. Is that true?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Is it true that "none of the wagers were on NHL games"? Is that an exact quote?

I heard that the NHL did not have any evidence that Pinto bet on NHL games, but that is different than the above statement.

I also heard on TV that the NHL does not have any prohibitions on players betting on non-NHL sporting events. Is that true?
If they knew bets were being placed through his account and they investigated, wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that they asked for a list of bets that had been made through the account and reviewed it for any action on NHL games?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If they knew bets were being placed through his account and they investigated, wouldn't that lead to the conclusion that they asked for a list of bets that had been made through the account and reviewed it for any action on NHL games?
Yes I would think the NHL did investigate the bets made. I am questioning the poster as to the source and accuracy of his/her paraphrasing of the "facts". Paraphrasing information can result in inaccuracies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad