Shane Pinto's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
He will be tough to keep long term, No way he wants to be a third line center with zero chance of moving up a spot for 7 years.
2.5*2

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
He doesn't have much leverage without having any arbitration rights as an RFA.

I'll guess that he gets $1.75M x 1 year or $2.25M x 2 years depending on the length of the bridge that is agreed upon.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
I mean he was given the opportunity to be a 2nd line center last year and didn't do too well. I think he's aware once he gets better and he will that more opportunities will come.
It was his first year. If he starts to improve he will want a shot to earn more cash and a bigger roll. Josh is way too good to bump and Jimmy is unreal. Move one to wing perhaps?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He showed some flashes but really didn't have a great year, I imagine he'd be fine with a one year deal and bet on himself, we might be able to get him for less than some suspect.

I'm going to guess if it's one year, he gets 1.4, two years 1.8, 3 years 2.5

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
He showed some flashes but really didn't have a great year, I imagine he'd be fine with a one year deal and bet on himself, we might be able to get him for less than some suspect.

I'm going to guess if it's one year, he gets 1.4, two years 1.8, 3 years 2.5
We may have to underpay him quite a bit on a short term deal for 1 year and maybe immediately have an agreement to overpay him a little more on an extension following that with term? Do you know if its possible to sign two contracts in the same summer for him at the same time?

Like maybe you can explain the cap crunsh to him and request he takes a cheap 1mx1 extension with the understanding we'll sign him immediately after to a long extension for the following season with a 0.5m overpayment per year as a way to make up for it?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He may not want to be, but that's what he is.
Yeah I was in the "he could be a #1 center" camp prior to the shoulder injury. I thought this past year he seemingly lost a step and was much less physically engaged. He shouldn't be getting more than 2 mill.

Jury is out on long term potential but I'm optimistic that he takes strides this season.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
2m max

Sprong had a better offensive season and got 2m as a UFA.

Pinto has zero leverage it’s Ottawa or Europe.

It doesn’t help his case that he burned a year of his ELC and then got injured for the other he chose to take that risk with his contract and it didn’t work out.

Sens can also argue aside from those 7 goals that came in quick at the start of the year he didn’t provide much offence despite playing with strong players.

Don’t get me wrong I think Pinto has huge upside but it’s just not time for him to get paid

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I was thinking 2.000 to 2.500 for 2yrs seems appropriate
He's a 10.2.c and the Senators have little cap space depending on what happens with Debrincat.

What is a 10.2(c) player?​

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA.

I also dug this up about a Pinto Qualifying Offer. Does anybody remember hearing about a Pinto QO.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's a 10.2.c and the Senators have little cap space depending on what happens with Debrincat.

What is a 10.2(c) player?​

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA.

I also dug this up about a Pinto Qualifying Offer. Does anybody remember hearing about a Pinto QO.

Sens had to offer a QO, but it doesn't much matter other than keeping him from becoming a UFA. He won't be signing it, unlike DBC, he will get more through arbitration than his QO.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Sens had to offer a QO, but it doesn't much matter other than keeping him from becoming a UFA. He won't be signing it, unlike DBC, he will get more through arbitration than his QO.

Are we for sure bringing Pinto to arb?

His 20-goals could make that a bit scary TBH.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean he was given the opportunity to be a 2nd line center last year and didn't do too well. I think he's aware once he gets better and he will that more opportunities will come.
He did pretty well his linemates werent very good. Only one other rookie scored 20 goals in the nhl. I found it strange that people blamed him when he was the most defensively responsible of the three players.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No chance they bring him to Arb. Also no chance he signs his QO, it's irrelevant outside of retaining his rights.

They have to offer a QO, or he would have become a UFA Saturday.
Pinto’s only leverage is to wait and not play.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No chance they bring him to Arb. Also no chance he signs his QO, it's irrelevant outside of retaining his rights.

They have to offer a QO, or he would have become a UFA Saturday.
He is going to end up with a bridge deal between 2.5 and 3 million per for 2 years is my guess. Sens are going to have 0 depth this year. Really have to hope players like Pinto, Stutzle, Sanderson and Brannstrom take another big step in development. Big bounce back years from Batherson and Chabot. Have to hope that Greig, Sokolov, JBD and Jarventie are NHL players or atleast can push for NHL spots.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes according to the CBA rules, Pinto would have needed to get his QO by June 25th. It just seemed odd that there wasn't any announcement on it unless of course I just missed it.

Senators are in a tough situation cap wise until or unless the Debrincat situation (trade) unfolds. So, IF the team feels they are squeezed and have no other choice, it could be (versus will be) something like $1.6 m X 1 year. The 2nd link in post #15 will provide background info on the logic for this.

Just mentioning this as a possibility versus a prediction. There's a lot of moving parts here, so difficult to say how it unfolds. Once again, the Debrincat situation is a factor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino