Shane Pinto's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Serevalli saying that they were about to agree on a $2.2M contract, so I don't think the sens knew about this until recently.

Reactions: Cosmix

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
LOL. Would be odd/ironic if Pinto signs his QO, sits half the year, and then plays the last chunk of the year (assumes cap problem is solved by accumulated savings). It's never dull in Senators land.

We get no real cap space accumulation. Currently we would accumulate ~96K in cap space by the midway point of the season.

Its why pushing yourself up dead against the cap is a very poor decision if it can be avoided.

But if he signs the QO, then we just send a player down when he comes back, it should all work out.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No the Qualifying offer expires. We went over it with the formenton situation.
To be fair, I think it was Lebrun who suggested he'd sign his QO to get this year done and over with then move on to negotiate the next deal.

Technically the QO is expired, but they could just put the same offer in front of him and be done with it, then he can sign an extension in January around the same time as he's eligible to play

Reactions: DrEasy and Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That has nothing to do with all this. I'm not even "wrong", I was operating under the assumption that we wanted to sign Pinto, like everybody and their dog. IF Dorion was forced to make it seem like they were trying to move a player to make space for Pinto (to who they made offers), then ok it's not fault as he had no choice (who forced him though?). But we don't have any clarity on this yet, as of now we know nothing so you can't even apologize for something you don't even know about

All that said, there is nothing that Dorion could possibly do to make me apologize about criticizing the continuous mismanagement of this team and its assets. I still want him gone as soon as possible even if he is 0% at fault in Pinto's case.

If he was managing my wallet, I would have fired his ass long time ago.

Edit : If they knew about this, why not just state that Pinto is dealing with personal problems and won't be signing right away? We have seen plenty of this for other athletes.
I don’t think anyone cares about him staying, and everyone knows he’s in his way out.

I guess it just comes down to holding oneself accountable for freaking out about things and then finding out later that one was wrong.

We all know we had limited information to go on, and yet go we did with all the insults and vitriol. We were wrong; you were wrong. Some people simply can’t admit it, and your personal beef with the GM prevents you from it by the sounds of it.

It seems pretty clear that the team took the heat for Pinto and he was very appreciative of it. Young guy didn’t want any of it in the media and the team clearly respected that. Needy fans can be so lame sometimes, it’s weird to feel entitled to other people’s personal information. Its reality TV syndrome.

Anyways, good chats, I’m moving on. One day PD will be gone from the team and hopefully he’ll move out of the space he’s rented in your head. :)

Do not think so, everything points to the Sens knowledge of this being very very recent.
Not really.

Reactions: aragorn

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Based on the AGM, it doesn't seem like they knew :

Why would they make official offers and why would they shop roster players if they knew?

Pinto's camp might have played hardball to gain time on how to handle this but the investigation must have started a while ago.

But an apology for criticizing a never ending mismanagement? No thanks
If the the league was investigating a player for something that could result in any suspension for off-ice behaviour, they for sure told the team from the outset. You don't just drop a bombshell like that on a team if you're investigating for weeks, it's common courtesy to make them aware at the beginning of the process.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
If the the league was investigating a player for something that could result in any suspension for off-ice behaviour, they for sure told the team from the outset. You don't just drop a bombshell like that on a team if you're investigating for weeks, it's common courtesy to make them aware at the beginning of the process.

Reports suggest the NHL investigation began, and the team was made aware of it during training camp.

It adds up when you think about it.

All the insiders said a deal was in place and a trade could be made. Pinto came to town, probably thinking he'd be in camp shortly. Then he suddenly went home, and everything went radio silent.

I imagine he went home when he was informed of the investigation, and the team held off on any signing/trade until they found out what the findings were from the league.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Serevalli saying that they were about to agree on a $2.2M contract, so I don't think the sens knew about this until recently.
These things can both be true at the same time.

The team finds out there's an investigation for off-ice behaviour around the time training camp opens. No other information at that time.
A little later, the league tells the team, based on preliminary findings, there's likely to be discipline potentially involving suspension. Hold off on a contract until the investigation is concluded.

The Sens can still be negotiating with Pinto at this point because they wouldn't know what to anticipate in terms of punishment. It could be a fine, it could be a 5-game suspension, it could be more. So they continue working on the structure of the deal and have things ready to go depending on how the league rules on the investigation. If it's a minor suspension, then they've got a contract ready to go.

Yesterday, they find out it's going to be a lengthy suspension and to pull their offer.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
But then again no one knows exactly when Dorion learned about this, so I think that Dorion knew about this this summer when he signed Tarasenko, it's the only explanation to why he would signed Tarasenko before signing Pinto. He knew that Pinto was going to be eligible to play until January.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
But then again no one knows exactly when Dorion learned about this, so I think that Dorion knew about this this summer when he signed Tarasenko, it's the only explanation to why he would signed Tarasenko before signing Pinto. He knew that Pinto was going to be eligible to play until January.

Nope.

Garrioch has said the investigation started when he was in Ottawa training and about to sign a new contract.

Sens were going to offload some cap to make it happen and then the league advised of the investigation and told them not to sign Pinto.

The explanation for Dorion signing Tarasenko is that he is a bumbling idiot who couldn't help himself.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And the problems with the Sens on & off the ice issues continue .... this could be the excuse that forces Andlauer to clean house from the top down, nobodies fault just a brand new image building project.
Nope.

Garrioch has said the investigation started when he was in Ottawa training and about to sign a new contract.

Sens were going to offload some cap to make it happen and then the league advised of the investigation and told them not to sign Pinto.

The explanation for Dorion signing Tarasenko is that he is a bumbling idiot who couldn't help himself.
Tarasenko leads the team in scoring, seems like a very good signing for the Sens so far, they just need to turn it into team wins.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So, did Ottawa management know about these allegations during the off season?
If so, does this explain the signing of Tarasenko and by doing so putting the Senators up tight against the Cap?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, did Ottawa management know about these allegations during the off season?
If so, does this explain the signing of Tarasenko and by doing so putting the Senators up tight against the Cap?
It seems they were made aware around the time Pinto was in town, so during camp. At least, that's what can be inferred by the public reporting. It is possible the knew something, and hedged by signing Tarasenko, and got the bad news confirming their worst fears in camp.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Nope.

Bumbling idiot who couldn't help himself to the guy who's currently leading the team in points?

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Bruce Garrioch is such an assclown. He is saying how this is going to ruin his career, saying 'he will have to play in the AHL before even thinking he will plan in the NHL'.

Get this guy away from the team.
I assume he means on a conditioning stint. It's not like he would pass through waivers otherwise.

Reactions: swiftwin

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Listen to the interview. That was not the intention. 'This will ruin his career'. It was unbelievable. You know where this is coming from too. So unprofessional.
I was basing it on this from his article:

"Pinto won’t be eligible to play until Jan. 21 against the Philadelphia Flyers, but there’s no way he’ll be ready to suit up in that game. Pinto will have to spend time with the Senators’ American Hockey League affiliate in Belleville before he can even think about returning to the NHL."

Reactions: ottawagm

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Does any fan really care about this? They draft players with egregious pasts, I don't think anyone will care about this, other than it would be nice to have him on the team.

Reactions: Agent Zub

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was basing it on this from his article:

"Pinto won’t be eligible to play until Jan. 21 against the Philadelphia Flyers, but there’s no way he’ll be ready to suit up in that game. Pinto will have to spend time with the Senators’ American Hockey League affiliate in Belleville before he can even think about returning to the NHL."

From 2:09 on 'Quite frankly claire this could very well derail his career'.

STFU

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Does any fan really care about this? They draft players with egregious pasts, I don't think anyone will care about this, other than it would be nice to have him on the team.
one guy.. not exactly a poor history

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
one guy.. not exactly a poor history

Chicago, Montreal, Boston, Columbus...

Then some guy does something around betting and it's a moral failure. But just don't look at all the betting revenue coming in the league.

From 2:09 on 'Quite frankly claire this could very well derail his career'.

STFU
He's definitely trying to be dramatic. Yes, missing half a year after already missing a year with injury, having to accept a lower contract which may lower future contracts, etc. Those things could negatively affect what his career prospects could have been. Or... he could come back and have a decent second half and sign an 8 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad