Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

His performance was seen here by some as so poor; and that he so negatively effected DeBrincat's numbers that he would only be worth a 1 - 1.5m extension or less. Someone asked "In What World is Pinto worth 2m?".
Its pretty obvious the league minimum he is on now is a direct result of the suspension and the cap trouble the Sens were in. There was no sitting out or forcing a trade going to happen at that point.

Any guesses what his next contract comes in at.. Pinto cannot become a UFA until 2028.. so a three year bridge may happen.. ending in 2027 as an RFA; Or the Sens may lock him up buying up UFA years.

My guess ; if all things continue without unforeseen hiccups A 3 year will be in the 3.5 - 4m range and I think the Sens get good value there. A longer term deal will be in 6m neighborhood. My guess is a bridge.

In What world is he worth that I wonder.

Reactions: DrEasy

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

His performance was seen here by some as so poor; and that he so negatively effected DeBrincat's numbers that he would only be worth a 1 - 1.5m extension or less. Someone asked "In What World is Pinto worth 2m?".
Its pretty obvious the league minimum he is on now is a direct result of the suspension and the cap trouble the Sens were in. There was no sitting out or forcing a trade going to happen at that point.

Any guesses what his next contract comes in at.. Pinto cannot become a UFA until 2028.. so a three year bridge may happen.. ending in 2027 as an RFA; Or the Sens may lock him up buying up UFA years.

My guess ; if all things continue without unforeseen hiccups A 3 year will be in the 3.5 - 4m range and I think the Sens get good value there. A longer term deal will be in 6m neighborhood. My guess is a bridge.

In fairness to Debrincat, Detroit has had him on PP2 for large parts of this season for some reason.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I don't think anybody said Pinto was poor here (he had 20 goals ffs), they just pointed out that he was a rookie playing higher in the lineup than was ideal for that stage in his development. And the 1-1.5 was based off a 1 year deal as group 10.2 (c) RFA with no arb rights. But hey, context is overrated when trying to spin a narrative,

As for 2 mil, to put that into a Sens specific context, Hoffman got awarded 2 mil in arbitration when the cap was around 71.5, after putting up 27 goals and 48 pts. Both are one year deals where you are not paying for potential, just expected performance for that one year and Arbitration does it based on what the market will pay.

I think everybody would have given Pinto 2 mil or more with a bit of term if that was possible, but the reality is the teams cap situation was preventing that, so in the context of a 1 year deal, and his lack of negotiating rights, it wasn't going to happen unless we made room via a trade, but in that world, we're no longer talking about a 1 year deal, so it doesn't relate to people saying 1-1.5.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Nice to be reminded how smart he is and how good his stickwork is.

Still doubtful he's a high-end offensive contributor in the making, but he could be a Cirelli-type "3rd line" center that gets Selke votes because of how strong his all-around game is.

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Still doubtful he's a high-end offensive contributor in the making, but he could be a Cirelli-type "3rd line" center that gets Selke votes because of how strong his all-around game is.
I see a lot of offensive potential. Point per game potential.
I don’t think he’s really focused on offense right now. He’s getting his 200 foot foundation down. Points should start ramping up each year starting next year. Depends on how much he’ll be relied on.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

He doesn't have the distribution skills( I think #1 Cs should dole out assists) to be a true #1 but he looks fantastic. He's a #2 C in the league moving forward.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pinto helps the Sens win games. He is a high IQ player.. with good fundamentals and he is only going to get better. High-end offense.. like over a point per game probably not. As a 2 or 3C Can he help win more shifts than not absolutely. Can he be on the right side of GF vs GA absolutely game to game more often than not. Pinto in his Rookie year + 1, after missing the 1st half of the year, is showing that he can effectively center a middle 6 line, Play a shut down role, contribute on the PP and be effective on the PK. Good team mate. Pretty valuable player.

TEAMGPRECPTSWLTOTLPTS%GGAPP%PK%S/GPSA/GP
Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators11259-42-111295942011.57635634722.681.232.1030.76

Reactions: bert

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Probably the worst game I have ever seen him play. Let’s hope for a bounce back tomorrow night

• Haha
Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Probably the worst game I have ever seen him play. Let’s hope for a bounce back tomorrow night
I read your posts and am consistently confused and at a loss for words.

He's such a good player away from the puck. He's always in position, always on the right side of the puck. He was galloping through the neutral zone last night even creating off the rush. What on earth are you talking about.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Small sample size still , I'd want to see Pinto stay healthy, & do it consistently over 2 3 seasons

I'd bridge deal him for now..

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I read your posts and am consistently confused and at a loss for words.

He's such a good player away from the puck. He's always in position, always on the right side of the puck. He was galloping through the neutral zone last night even creating off the rush. What on earth are you talking about.
None of what you said changes the fact that he had a bad game, it happens. I didn't say "trade him", "bench him" or anything. If you think he played well Saturday night, great. That is what forums are for, for differing opinions. It is too bad that you can't handle anyone with a different opinion.

I am hoping for a bounce back game tonight

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
None of what you said changes the fact that he had a bad game, it happens. I didn't say "trade him", "bench him" or anything. If you think he played well Saturday night, great. That is what forums are for, for differing opinions. It is too bad that you can't handle anyone with a different opinion.

I am hoping for a bounce back game tonight
What about his game didn't you like against Vegas? I didn't think anyone really stood out as poor tbh.

Reactions: Dionysus

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What about his game didn't you like against Vegas? I didn't think anyone really stood out as poor tbh.
I felty he forced plays and pucks, missed some golden scoring chances, and just didn't like his line in general. It looked like he didn't have legs, and I think that is what affected a lot of his game. It happens, and I think tonight he is going to be a force, as he is that type of self-starter

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I voted Pinto over Norris in a poll last year in terms of better future, I believe Pinto can have 2-way impact a la Ryan O’Reilly. That’s before Norris’ season last year. This is our Crosby-Malkin-Staal moment, we have a Letang in Chabot.

From 2022. I feel like a proud papa. Pinto is becoming a 2-way stud. Stu-Norris-Pinto as C should win playoff rounds.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
I realize it'll be some time before changeover in letters (and also until this year's suspension becomes just history), but I'd love to see Pinto with an "A" on his jersey. Talk about leadership by example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad