Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How about this for your 1st game back after missing 41 games
1705939351541.png

Sens were good at the dot overall but.. 9/10 is pretty amazing considering the circumstances.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
How did Shane Pinto look in his return? I missed the Flyers game.
He looked great, was not afraid to crash the blue paint... there were a couple of plays that ended with him pretty much sitting on the goaltender. Also made a lot of smart defensive plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. Doesn't look like a guy who missed 41 games at all.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Honest question, what team trades for Norris? 8 mill in cap space is huge nowadays. You have to think no contender is going to take that risk considering almost every contender is capped out to the max and/or very conservative with their money.

So then you look at rebuilding teams and who sees Josh Norris as a cornerstone player that they're going to pay 1C money to? Arizona? San Jose? I doubt either bite and if its the latter, they wouldn't have any interest in giving up futures considering they are just starting a rebuild.

All that to say - I think the contract will be an anchor. I know people want to defend him because he's youngish and the injury, but there were questions BEFORE the contact was dished out. He isn't going to become a completely different player.
Ok. So is Norris at 7.95 1C money going forward? I think the answer there is unequivocally no, it's not. So if you're view is that he's not a 1C, ok then he's not paid like one either. Over the next 5 years, his salary might average mid tier 2C money

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
What a difference Pinto makes to this team, he's defintely part of the core. He's big, he's tough, he's great at faceoffs, he's good in front of the net & he can carry the puck & make plays, he can add more offence & he brings a little more jam to this lineup. .
Let's not forget he's always played well away from the puck. He won't need a lot of tutelage on playing the 200-ft game as he always played that way. As you mentioned, he's great in FO circle. I also appreciate that he accepted a low Q/O. I think he'll be rewarded with his next contract.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Ok. So is Norris at 7.95 1C money going forward? I think the answer there is unequivocally no, it's not. So if you're view is that he's not a 1C, ok then he's not paid like one either. Over the next 5 years, his salary might average mid tier 2C money
He makes as much as Jack Hughes and JT Miller (both signed long term) and almost as much as Roope Hintz.

A smidge less than guys like Larkin, Point, Aho.

These are all franchise players and/or 1C's.

No he isn't making money like the Mackinnons, Mcdavids, Matthews etc. of the world, but he is absolutely paid 1C money.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's not forget he's always played well away from the puck. He won't need a lot of tutelage on playing the 200-ft game as he always played that way. As you mentioned, he's great in FO circle. I also appreciate that he accepted a low Q/O. I think he'll be rewarded with his next contract.
He's playing the way he did in college (UND) & why they drafted him, he's a big two way centre who is very good defensively, very good on draws & could be a bigger version of Bergeron if he can also produce a lot of pts.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He makes as much as Jack Hughes and JT Miller (both signed long term) and almost as much as Roope Hintz.

A smidge less than guys like Larkin, Point, Aho.

These are all franchise players and/or 1C's.

No he isn't making money like the Mackinnons, Mcdavids, Matthews etc. of the world, but he is absolutely paid 1C money.
Here's the list. He's 28th on the list with cap increases expected to kick in next year and each year thereafter.

I don't see a huge overpayment issue rolling forward

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm glad to see pinto's faceoff numbers were excellent on Sunday. He was known at UND to be excellent in the dot, and I'd love to see him become one of the top guys in the NHL as well.

People underestimate how important this skill is on the scoresheet.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Here's the list. He's 28th on the list with cap increases expected to kick in next year and each year thereafter.

I don't see a huge overpayment issue rolling forward

28th on a league-wide list. Do you think he would rank in the top 30 players in the league? 50? 100? I think he'd probably be around 100-150.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
28th on a league-wide list. Do you think he would rank in the top 30 players in the league? 50? 100? I think he'd probably be around 100-150.
Only Centers. He's the 25th highest paid C in the league (Huberdeau, Kyrou and Forsberg are all/have been playing wing for a long time)

He's the 67th highest paid player. Will probably drop to ~75 after this offseason.

Obviously he's outside the top 100 players, but he should slide in ~40-60 among C's.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Only Centers. He's the 25th highest paid C in the league (Huberdeau, Kyrou and Forsberg are all/have been playing wing for a long time)

He's the 67th highest paid player. Will probably drop to ~75 after this offseason.

Obviously he's outside the top 100 players, but he should slide in ~40-60 among C's.
I stand corrected - thanks. Slightly more reasonable in this case.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ya, i was about to point out what Bondra pointed out. 6 years left on the deal after this one. Paid as a 2C for probably 5 of the 6. Easy deal to move.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There was a graphic put up during the flyers game, that was something like Ottawa is 29-5-5 when Pinto is in the lineup and gets a point….or something like that….

Keli

Oct 6, 2020
There was a graphic put up during the flyers game, that was something like Ottawa is 29-5-5 when Pinto is in the lineup and gets a point….or something like that….
So if Pinto gets a point each game for the rest of the season we will make the playoffs.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad