Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa has a lot of good young players who just lack experience & consistentcy that they need to keep. They have several other players they need to replace like Tarasenko, Kubalik, Brannstrom, Hamonic, a goalie & maybe Joseph if they can get a better pt producing forward. Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Greig, Stutzle & Sanderson should all be kept, they could use another good young top 4 RD & Goalie. They have an early 1st rd pick in this yr's draft & should pick up another good young player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Small sample size still , I'd want to see Pinto stay healthy, & do it consistently over 2 3 seasons

I'd bridge deal him for now..
His hockey sense is not a small sample size. He's a big player with a longer development curve exactly the type of player you give a long extension.

Ottawa has a lot of good young players who just lack experience & consistentcy that they need to keep. They have several other players they need to replace like Tarasenko, Kubalik, Brannstrom, Hamonic, a goalie & maybe Joseph if they can get a better pt producing forward. Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Greig, Stutzle & Sanderson should all be kept, they could use another good young top 4 RD & Goalie. They have an early 1st rd pick in this yr's draft & should pick up another good young player.
They need another Joseph his two way game is what they are missing they don't need point producers they need hard fast players that play both ways.

Reactions: Xspyrit and NyQuil

Senovision

May 23, 2011
$5 to 5.75 million for 4 years. 50 to 60 point player. A key piece in our group of forwards.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They need another Joseph his two way game is what they are missing they don't need point producers they need hard fast players that play both ways.

His compete level is impressive. It's hard to pick up on statistically sometimes, but he's always on his horse out there causing a ruckus.

He's a relatively cheap player because he can't finish, but he does create a lot of havoc out there and it's inspiring.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
after Brady, Norris, and Chabot get 8m contracts how does this guy not feel that he is worth close to that?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pinto is definitely a keeper & part of the core, I imagine they will eventually sign him to a long deal when the cap goes up to $92M at least they should. Big, very good two way 200' centre, defensively responsible, good at faceoffs & contributes offensively, he seems to have stepped into the #1 centre spot & is thriving, he's probably a 50 pt player in a full season. We know what Tkachuk, Stutzle, Giroux & Batherson can do offensively now add Norris & Pinto two more good top six forwards who should also be able to put up big numbers if they can stay healthy.
This would be an interesting top six next season, our best six forwards.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux
Greig - Ostapchuk - Joseph
Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly/MacEwan

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
100M+ cap soon along with multiple expansion teams coming in who are going to compete hard for a watered down talent pool.

They have to hardball him a bit because he is this regimes first big contract and they need to be able to set the market within their own team salary structure. With that said, anything under 7M for 8 years is going to end up as a bargain.

I suspect we see some sort of middle ground, 5-6 x 5-6.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pinto is definitely a keeper & part of the core, I imagine they will eventually sign him to a long deal when the cap goes up to $92M at least they should. Big, very good two way 200' centre, defensively responsible, good at faceoffs & contributes offensively, he seems to have stepped into the #1 centre spot & is thriving, he's probably a 50 pt player in a full season. We know what Tkachuk, Stutzle, Giroux & Batherson can do offensively now add Norris & Pinto two more good top six forwards who should also be able to put up big numbers if they can stay healthy.
This would be an interesting top six next season, our best six forwards.

Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux
Greig - Ostapchuk - Joseph
Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly/MacEwan
I hope Norris can get and stay healthy enough to play a full season at a high level. I suspect he might not.

I don't see Ostapchuk as a 3rd line C at this time; he might replace Kastelic in a season or two.

Katchouk looks like a decent 4th liner, nothing more.

I think we need to acquire another skilled C to become a top 8 team that can compete for the SC. Would be great to get Celebrini as the #1 pick in the draft. Getting a top RD like Levshunov would be very good too.

I agree we also need a big tough physical RD to play on the 1st or 2nd pair.

I think if we could run a D core like the following we would be much better at ES:

Chabot - new big RD
Chychrun - Brannstrom
Sanderson - Zub

Kleven might be ready next season to become 3rd pair LD which could allow one of the 3 skilled LD above to switch to RD (replacing Brannstrom or moving him to 7D). Sanderson might be the guy because he appears to be our best D going forward, is young and likely would be the most likely to make a successful switch to RD.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope Norris can get and stay healthy enough to play a full season at a high level. I suspect he might not.

I don't see Ostapchuk as a 3rd line C at this time; he might replace Kastelic in a season or two.

Katchouk looks like a decent 4th liner, nothing more.

I think we need to acquire another skilled C to become a top 8 team that can compete for the SC. Would be great to get Celebrini as the #1 pick in the draft. Getting a top RD like Levshunov would be very good too.

I agree we also need a big tough physical RD to play on the 1st or 2nd pair.

I think if we could run a D core like the following we would be much better at ES:

Chabot - new big RD
Chychrun - Brannstrom
Sanderson - Zub

Kleven might be ready next season to become 3rd pair LD which could allow one of the 3 skilled LD above to switch to RD (replacing Brannstrom or moving him to 7D). Sanderson might be the guy because he appears to be our best D going forward, is young and likely would be the most likely to make a successful switch to RD.
With this latest winning streak they are once again dropping the odds of winning the lottery & being in a postion to draft in the top 5 unfortunately. My guess is that it's most likely they draft in the 5th to 7th range & while there are still a number of good players in that range IMO they should draft for need. They don't need a left shot D they have enough good left shot D with Donovan coming & they don't need smallish defencemen, they tried that & it's not working & need to change it up. What they do need is a big, mobile right shot D & those are always in demand & there might be just one left when it comes time for them to draft with top pairing potential, Carter Yakemchuk RD. IMO he checks all the boxes they need, mobile, big, strong, tough, good reach, good passer, good pt producer, big shot & can play on the PP or PK. He already has NHL size & will need to improve the defensive side of the game to be NHL ready.

IMO Hamonic might get bought out & I don't see a path forward for Brannstrom given they need to change the dynamic of their defence core & he could likely be a casualty to change that. My guess is that they find a vet RD to come in for a yr or two before they have a prospect to replace them. I see three Ott prospects making the team next season, Sogaard to replace Forsberg who I think they try to move this summer. Kleven who IMO is ready to replace Brannstrom on the roster & Ostapchuk at LW to replace Kubalik who they won't re-sign. That leaves the need to sign a top 4 RD to play with Chabot or Chychrun whoever they decide to keep & if they move one of those guys that should bring in either a top six or 9 forward or NHL goalie with #1 potential. Personally I like Ullmark out of Boston a legitimate #1 NHLgoalie, but they would have to move Korpisalo to afford Ullmark.

If Norris gets hurt again, they can easily move Stutzle back to centre & move Greig or Joseph up into the top six or callup Jarventie LW or Crookshank LW as a replacement player. Or if they trade Chychrun maybe they can get a decent good young forward to play on the 3rd line LW who can move up when there is an injury. I think Chartier C could also get re-signed & start in Belleville & get called up when needed. I saw this after writing this post.

MSN

Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux
UFA VET LW - Greig - Joseph - they could use a playmaking/goal scoring LW/RW who can also produce pts
Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly/MacEwan - Katchouk is earning another contract & they need Kastelic's physical play & kelly's hustle

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - UFA VET RD (Shattenkirk)
Kleven - JBD/Guennette

Korpisalo - Sogaard

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Re Norris
I think he might/should be done as a C. Can we play him on the wing now?
Eventual replacement for giroux.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
"“I learned that it’s a business. You have to get what you’re worth while you can,” he explained. “You only have so many years in this league, so you have to get your value. It’s a business, for sure. You can’t take it for granted because it can go for a turn quickly.”"

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
"“I learned that it’s a business. You have to get what you’re worth while you can,” he explained. “You only have so many years in this league, so you have to get your value. It’s a business, for sure. You can’t take it for granted because it can go for a turn quickly.”"

Keep him away from Brady. I don’t think I’ve seen a group of players more hyper focused on $$$ before.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Shane Pinto and the Sens closing in on an extension? Would be nice to see him locked up to a reasonable contract, maybe a 4-6 year deal. Curious to see how Staios and the org value him. I still believe in Norris to create a triple-headed monster on C with three Stu and Pinto.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
well yea. they are putting together 100 point seasons and make the playoffs comfortably every season.

we hope we get that even though we are already paying our guys to do it.
I know we love dunking on the Leafs but it makes 0 sense to dunk on a core of players for not winning playoffs rounds when your core isn't even making the playoffs.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Shane Pinto and the Sens closing in on an extension? Would be nice to see him locked up to a reasonable contract, maybe a 4-6 year deal. Curious to see how Staios and the org value him. I still believe in Norris to create a triple-headed monster on C with three Stu and Pinto.
Are you asking or did you hear they were?

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
well yea. they are putting together 100 point seasons and make the playoffs comfortably every season.

we hope we get that even though we are already paying our guys to do it.
Crazy to think we still have more playoff series wins than the Leafs since the start of Matthews' career. Yes we havent made the playoffs, but I would still choose our core over theirs.. proven playoff flakes.

I know we love dunking on the Leafs but it makes 0 sense to dunk on a core of players for not winning playoffs rounds when your core isn't even making the playoffs.
Makes plenty of sense with the provincial rivalry. They definitely weren't quiet when we were making the playoffs and they weren't.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad