Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Doesn't he play RHD in the KHL? Is it possible that the team would give him a look on both sides if they want to give Nemec another year?

I think he has but the highlights I've seen of him this year have him playing LD. This is going off memory of Guadana's videos and other stuff in this thread.

Reactions: Guadana and Forge

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm skeptical as well. Just saying that it wouldn't be the worse thing if Graves and Severson both walked this offseason. Guess it also depends on how Bahl does this season and if he looks legit for a top 6 spot next year.

I'd be fine with resigning Graves even to a 3-4 year deal as long as there no (or limited) trade protection as there should be an opportunity for the likes of Muk to grab a spot on the team once he's ready.
I don’t think we should resign Graves even tho he’s been good as of late. Would cost too much and we have too many young LD competing for spots to have him there.

Realistically Siegenthaler, Hughes, and Smith are close to locks and then you have Bahl, Okhotiuk, Mukhammadullin, and even Vilen(dark horse) competing for the extra spot. I think a decent depth RD would make sense whether Nemec is ready or not just as support.

But Luke is almost certain gonna be here next year and he should be put into a position to succeed. Should be able to handle 2nd pair alongside Marino

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Love his attitude.

I know many fans are worried about possibly breaking in two rookies on defense next year between Hughes, Nemec or Muk if Graves and Severson walk...but personally, I'm not concerned. Might be a slight step back in the regular season, but we should hopefully still have a team that can be among the top in the league and cruise to a playoff berth even with two rookie D (not to mention possibly Thompson and/or Foote up front). By the time the playoffs roll around, whichever rookies make the roster have a good amount of NHL experience and I'm not too worried about them being rookies at that point.
My assumption has generally been that Mukhamadullin would end up being the odd man out and traded at some point, but of the three I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the most "NHL ready" next season. He'll have been playing in the 2nd best league in the world for 3 seasons by next year, and might get practice time with the team during the playoffs or more time to acclimate to NA in the AHL at the end of the year.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don’t think we should resign Graves even tho he’s been good as of late. Would cost too much and we have too many young LD competing for spots to have him there.

Realistically Siegenthaler, Hughes, and Smith are close to locks and then you have Bahl, Okhotiuk, Mukhammadullin, and even Vilen(dark horse) competing for the extra spot. I think a decent depth RD would make sense whether Nemec is ready or not just as support.

But Luke is almost certain gonna be here next year and he should be put into a position to succeed. Should be able to handle 2nd pair alongside Marino
You make very good points. My concern is that Smith looks like a third pair guy to my eyes and asking him to play middle pair minutes might be a problem. I'd rather Luke and the other young defenders break in with third pair minutes and not be forced to take on more responsibility if Smith can't cut it against better competition.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You make very good points. My concern is that Smith looks like a third pair guy to my eyes and asking him to play middle pair minutes might be a problem. I'd rather Luke and the other young defenders break in with third pair minutes and not be forced to take on more responsibility if Smith can't cut it against better competition.
Smith shouldn’t play 2nd pair minutes. With what we have he should probably shouldn’t be in the lineup.

Luke should be more than capable of playing 2nd pair minutes if he’s close to as good as a D prospect as projected. Most D prospects of his caliber play top 4 if not top pairing in their first season. Quinn, Makar, Seider, Power, Fox and it goes on. All of the top D prospects come in and play significant roles. I’m not as sure as some people that he’s on the level of those prospects but I have no issue pegging him into a 2nd pair role with lots of potential capable NHL LD behind him. I don’t want to or see a reason to put him on the 3rd pair. Put him in a position to thrive and succeed while being somewhat protected. 2nd pair with Marino and 2nd PP and see what he can do.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We've got our current top 3 DMen playing lights out and all signed longterm, and we've got the deepest D prospect core in the league

love to see it!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
View attachment 618641

Sorry for my bad english

"I will end this year as Salavat player and when it ends, I will travel to NA. It`s done. I will fight for NHL roster spot, if it needs to play in AHL or play NHL role from the beggining - doesn`t matter, I`m ready for everything."

I like the plucky attitude and those are pretty sweet jerseys. Their mascot should be Zardoz.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Smith shouldn’t play 2nd pair minutes. With what we have he should probably shouldn’t be in the lineup.

Luke should be more than capable of playing 2nd pair minutes if he’s close to as good as a D prospect as projected. Most D prospects of his caliber play top 4 if not top pairing in their first season. Quinn, Makar, Seider, Power, Fox and it goes on. All of the top D prospects come in and play significant roles. I’m not as sure as some people that he’s on the level of those prospects but I have no issue pegging him into a 2nd pair role with lots of potential capable NHL LD behind him. I don’t want to or see a reason to put him on the 3rd pair. Put him in a position to thrive and succeed while being somewhat protected. 2nd pair with Marino and 2nd PP and see what he can do.
So you’d see:

Siegs - Hamilton
L. Hughes - Marino
Smith - Bahl

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So you’d see:

Siegs - Hamilton
L. Hughes - Marino
Smith - Bahl
No

Siegs - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino
Smith/Bahl/other - UFA/Nemec

Top four is clear to me and then I think we should bring in a decent depth RD to compete whether Nemec is ready or not. And then it should be Smith and whatever young LD does the best in the 3LD spot. Between Bahl, Okhotiuk, Mukhammadullin, and Vilen(dark horse)

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
No

Siegs - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino

Top four is clear to me and then I think we should bring in a decent depth RD to compete whether Nemec is ready or not. And then it should be Smith and whatever young LD does the best in the 3LD spot. Between Bahl, Okhotiuk, Mukhammadullin, and Vilen(dark horse)
This defense looks nasty to me lol. Exciting times coming up!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

am...
Would be crazy to have Luke as 3rd pair D, especially with good partner. His positional game... needs some work.

Anyway if people are ready to make some step back, I`m not against it.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
No

Siegs - Hamilton
Hughes - Marino

I worry that we currently use Graves-Marino as a major shutdown pairing. I'm sure that Hughes is not going to be able to play that role in the same way, certainly not as a rookie.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think for next season I'd rather go with:

Siegs - Hamilton
Graves/Bahl - Marino
Bahl/Smith - Hughes/Nemec

Let Hughes and Nemec battle it out in camp. Make a decision about Graves early. Replace Severson with one of our blue-chippers and let the other one develop his defensive game while we figure out what to do long-term.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I think for next season I'd rather go with:

Siegs - Hamilton
Graves/Bahl - Marino
Bahl/Smith - Hughes/Nemec

Let Hughes and Nemec battle it out in camp. Make a decision about Graves early. Replace Severson with one of our blue-chippers and let the other one develop his defensive game while we figure out what to do long-term.
Yeah I've talked myself into retaining Graves if we can do it (relatively) short term. I think he's largely fine, reasonably flexible, in the right age range, and won't have THAT many suitors beating down his door.

If we can get him on a 2-3 year deal, he'll either be gone or movable when we (hopefully) have too many NHL defensemen. Let's us roll one rookie next year comfortably, and if >1 demand ice time, Smith + Bahl can go to the bench until/unless there's an injury.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I've talked myself into retaining Graves if we can do it (relatively) short term. I think he's largely fine, reasonably flexible, in the right age range, and won't have THAT many suitors beating down his door.

If we can get him on a 2-3 year deal, he'll either be gone or movable when we (hopefully) have too many NHL defensemen. Let's us roll one rookie next year comfortably, and if >1 demand ice time, Smith + Bahl can go to the bench until/unless there's an injury.
I can see the reasoning for why we might.

But if we think Hughes is a lock to play in NJ, and I do, and we think one of Shakir or Bahl or OK can also play in the NHL then invested fairly big money into Graves (and I think he will likely get at least 4 years, and at least 4 million) doesn't make much sense.

And I said it above, I'll take a year or 2 of growing pains. Assuming it's just growing pains, and not Ty Smith style "not good enough" pains. If Hughes and Shakir are good enough to play in the NHL next year, then Graves is gonzo.

Reactions: Oneiro

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I can see the reasoning for why we might.

But if we think Hughes is a lock to play in NJ, and I do, and we think one of Shakir or Bahl or OK can also play in the NHL then invested fairly big money into Graves (and I think he will likely get at least 4 years, and at least 4 million) doesn't make much sense.

And I said it above, I'll take a year or 2 of growing pains. Assuming it's just growing pains, and not Ty Smith style "not good enough" pains. If Hughes and Shakir are good enough to play in the NHL next year, then Graves is gonzo.
But we're not going to know if they are before we have to pull the trigger on Graves.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Classic defenseman point, make a safe play to a forward and let them make the offense happen.

No knock on Shak there, he does everything right, just poking fun at how defenseman points can be so dependent on others.

Reactions: Clam Jensen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad