Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I like Shaq, I like Casey, both have pros and cons, I even like Holtz,not as much, but still. But I don't have any regrets if Devils will use one or two of them in trade for Meier.
Shakir has potential/ceiling of some kind of version of Graves/Severson/somewhere in the middle. And having cheap version of that is a good thing to have, but I prefer expensive version of real Meier if we will have a choice. With Luke and Nemec, this team will figure it out. If they will ask Casey, this team will figure it out. If Holtz - same story.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I can see San Jose pounding the table for Casey if the Devils make Hughes/Nemec off limits. The Devils obviously want no part of moving Casey, but are you theoretically willing to lose the Meier sweepstakes if it means keeping Casey?
I’m by no means saying Casey is a third pairing defenseman, but that’s what he may essentially be in a few years behind Douggie and Nemec. I wouldn’t lose sleep trading a third pairing defensemen for something we need dearly.

If Casey blows up and become a perennial allstar while we win a cup or two over the next 8 years, then I’ll gladly take the “L” on the trade.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
Depth is always good to have, who knows when Dougie will start to decline, We have high hopes for Luke and Nemec but there's no guarantee they reach their upper potential. The history of teams trading away good prospects just because they will be "blocked" isnt a great one. The Leafs dealt Rask because they had a "better" prospect in Poggie for example.

Not saying we shouldn't trade Mukh or Casey to get Meier, just saying. Cheap depth is one of the most valuable assets an NHL team can have. I wouldn't seek out deals with the idea that we'll have a log jam, log jams are good for contending teams

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Depth is always good to have, who knows when Dougie will start to decline, We have high hopes for Luke and Nemec but there's no guarantee they reach their upper potential. The history of teams trading away good prospects just because they will be "blocked" isnt a great one. The Leafs dealt Rask because they had a "better" prospect in Poggie for example.

Not saying we shouldn't trade Mukh or Casey to get Meier, just saying. Cheap depth is one of the most valuable assets an NHL team can have. I wouldn't seek out deals with the idea that we'll have a log jam, log jams are good for contending teams
I don't think the Leafs traded Rask because they had Pogge. They traded Rask to get Andrew Raycroft, who at that time was 26 and only one NHL season (but 2 actual years because of the lockout) removed from a Calder Trophy year. But the one after before the Leafs traded for him he had a season like Blackwood did last year and it continued the rest of his career, save for a couple of random backup seasons at the tail end of his NHL career and he became a journeyman,

I do think they likely thought Pogge would absorb the Rask loss, as he was about a year older, but I think they just thought Raycroft was closer to rookie of the year Raycroft and not 05-06 Raycroft, which is pretty much what Raycroft mostly was for the remainder of his pro hockey career lol.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Not that he would play his off side on an nhl club but he's a leftie who plays the right side. I think you are right about Cs and Ds for SJ. If Muk, a 1st and 1 more piece (young C- not Shara i hope) can happen we should be happy.
I could see Mukhamdullin making a decent 3rd pairing with Smith next year since both of them are capable of playing the right side, with Hughes-Marino and Seigenthaler-Hamilton above them and Bahl/Okhotiuk as the 7. There's risk with that being the plan from day 1, but I could see it working out. You don't really know how long it will take him to adjust his defensive game until he's over here doing it. Maybe he'll get a chance to do more than a game or two with Utica this year but we'll see. Maybe they end up signing a safe vet D to a tryout or a contract they can put in the AHL if necessary with the plan of buying a rental D at the deadline if nobody steps up. I think next year is the year that the D could look very rough unless they do bring back one of Graves or Severson for a year, but there's no way either of those guys would take a 1 year deal. After that, you should have at least one of Hughes or Mukhamdullin with a year of experience under their belt, Nemec ready to step into the big club full time, and The next wave of prospects ready for call ups.

This is a good point, it's reasonable to expect Hamilton won't be worth his contract anymore in 2-4 years time so you need the cheaper contracts to balance that out. I still think the team can manage to pay one of the D prospects and not worry about filling out their roster, but that should only be for a piece that we think sets us over the edge from good team to title contender.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I’m by no means saying Casey is a third pairing defenseman, but that’s what he may essentially be in a few years behind Douggie and Nemec. I wouldn’t lose sleep trading a third pairing defensemen for something we need dearly.

If Casey blows up and become a perennial allstar while we win a cup or two over the next 8 years, then I’ll gladly take the “L” on the trade.

The worst case scenario would be something like Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat, and in the long run, the Caps were not all that worse off.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The worst case scenario would be something like Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat, and in the long run, the Caps were not all that worse off.
Exactly. Casey should not be off limits if the return is the goal scoring winger the team has been missing since Kovalchuk left. Is it possible Casey ends up a better defenseman than Nemec? Absolutely. But if the alternative is not landing the forward upgrade we desperately need, Fitz shouldn’t hesitate to make the trade.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Wheeler on the Muk:

5. Shakir Mukhamadullin, LHD, 21 (Salavat Yulaev Ufa)

Mukhamadullin’s upside remains as fascinating, and some of the uncertainty about whether he’ll get there has faded over time (especially this year), which is exactly what they must’ve been hoping for when they picked him 20th in 2020 (which I still think was too high, but you can live with these days as he plays a big role in the KHL and trends towards the NHL).

The appeal of his raw tools can still contrast against the mistakes and sloppiness present in his game at times, but the consistency of his game has come a long way and the results have followed. He can struggle through his pivots, where he too often turns to skate with opposing attackers rather than defending them head-on with his good skating and length. His reaction time can look a split second behind on reads. He’s got an uncharacteristic posture. But he’s also a player with a ton of interesting qualities now supported by a 6-foot-4, 190-pound frame that isn’t as wiry as it once was. His skating motion is actually not a major issue for me, with good extensions, feet that don’t drag, and the ability to go heel-to-heel and open himself up with the puck laterally. He’s also got a hard one-timer (though his follow through on his wrister lacks balance), and he’s more willing to take the 10 feet of space off of the offensive-zone blue line than most defenders his age are in the KHL. He has driven results at both ends this year with a game that looks more polished and has built a stronger foundation around his raw tools. Patience will still important, even with all of his pro experience, but he looks like he’s on a pretty clear NHL path now and there’s more to untap there.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
As people say "before the trade".

Hope people will watch this clip because I spent some time to make it.

Shakir is #85.

This video is a cutting of active moments with different situations from the final segment of the season from different games. I used clips from 5-6 games or something like that.

Shakir shows great development this season. Some people called skating, passing and game under pressure with the puck as his weaknesses. Now its is his dignities. He is still can make turnovers - it`s very fun to watch for haters, but for haters KHL have stats of completed passes - 86.64% - it`s top-5 result from defensemen.
Shakir is accurate with the puck and very agressive. He can drive by his own, can exit the zone by his own or by a pass, same with offensive transition. And he can create dangerous chances by accurate long passes. He is faster with the puck as puckhandler, that helps him to carry the puck and manage the puck on the blue line.
He has very hard and accurate shot. Not as potential scorer but as potential creator for rebound chances. This qualities make him good PP blue liner.

He is stronng on the boards and use his stick as instrument. He isn`t winning all puck battles, but he is very useful. He closing the gaps - big frame helps him and it makes very hard for opponents to find options. But there we should name his real weaknesses - he is often trying to close the zones and sometimes opponents drive the net. Shakir should work more on his game against driving the net.
Salavat use him as net front protector and he is good in protecting offensive forwards from the puck. In this case he should work on his game in situations when his partner losing his opponents behind the net. It`s tough situation for any defenseman, but I should call all the things I viewed.
Shakir is a big dude and he spend more microseconds for turning his body, so I don`t think he is good option as SH defenseman, at least as first defensive forecheker, but even this tasks he is trying to complete.

Overall Shakir is trying to play in agrssive game as defensive defenseman and as offensive defenseman. He is using his body, closing gaps(it`s very hard to show on video clips, but when Shakir is on his feet, opponents often just cant find opportunities and just cycle the puck) and playing with vision. He made some turn overs this season, but it`s not the "regular" thing anymore and it`s something that happening with defensemen who play qb role.
Shakir has potetnial to play top-4 role and have good tools for that. I trully think that he can be some kind of version of Severson or Graves - Defenseman with good physics who can join offense and play defensive role competently, but should have defensive active defenseman as partner.

Would I trade him for Meier? Absolutetly. For Kane, Reinhart etc? Absolutetly not. Shakir is a player with NHL potential. I don`t think he is really NHL ready, but I saw many of his games after his draft, I saw a lot of Utica games previous season and all of Devils games this season. And I think he is better player than Bahl. He is very interesting prospect and I would say I like our scouting group who was smart enough to find dimond in the rough.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Hope people will watch this clip because I spent some time to make it.

Shakir is #85.

This video is a cutting of active moments with different situations from the final segment of the season from different games. I used clips from 5-6 games or something like that.

Shakir shows great development this season. Some people called skating, passing and game under pressure with the puck as his weaknesses. Now its is his dignities. He is still can make turnovers - it`s very fun to watch for haters, but for haters KHL have stats of completed passes - 86.64% - it`s top-5 result from defensemen.
Shakir is accurate with the puck and very agressive. He can drive by his own, can exit the zone by his own or by a pass, same with offensive transition. And he can create dangerous chances by accurate long passes. He is faster with the puck as puckhandler, that helps him to carry the puck and manage the puck on the blue line.
He has very hard and accurate shot. Not as potential scorer but as potential creator for rebound chances. This qualities make him good PP blue liner.

He is stronng on the boards and use his stick as instrument. He isn`t winning all puck battles, but he is very useful. He closing the gaps - big frame helps him and it makes very hard for opponents to find options. But there we should name his real weaknesses - he is often trying to close the zones and sometimes opponents drive the net. Shakir should work more on his game against driving the net.
Salavat use him as net front protector and he is good in protecting offensive forwards from the puck. In this case he should work on his game in situations when his partner losing his opponents behind the net. It`s tough situation for any defenseman, but I should call all the things I viewed.
Shakir is a big dude and he spend more microseconds for turning his body, so I don`t think he is good option as SH defenseman, at least as first defensive forecheker, but even this tasks he is trying to complete.

Overall Shakir is trying to play in agrssive game as defensive defenseman and as offensive defenseman. He is using his body, closing gaps(it`s very hard to show on video clips, but when Shakir is on his feet, opponents often just cant find opportunities and just cycle the puck) and playing with vision. He made some turn overs this season, but it`s not the "regular" thing anymore and it`s something that happening with defensemen who play qb role.
Shakir has potetnial to play top-4 role and have good tools for that. I trully think that he can be some kind of version of Severson or Graves - Defenseman with good physics who can join offense and play defensive role competently, but should have defensive active defenseman as partner.

Would I trade him for Meier? Absolutetly. For Kane, Reinhart etc? Absolutetly not. Shakir is a player with NHL potential. I don`t think he is really NHL ready, but I saw many of his games after his draft, I saw a lot of Utica games previous season and all of Devils games this season. And I think he is better player than Bahl. He is very interesting prospect and I would say I like our scouting group who was smart enough to find dimond in the rough.

Thanks as always for putting that together for us. Mukhamadullin has come a long way. Hopefully he will be happy when he comes to North America and tries to make tht jump from thr AHL. He has Brylin on the NJ staff and Shara and hopefully he can connect with some of the other players to make the adjustment. I’m skeptical NJ lands Meier so I think Mukhamadullin sticks around.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's a great video and also, I really don't think Mukhamaullin will be traded, because of the risks involved - if I'm San Jose, I'd need assurance that he wants to come and play for us. The Devils have been working with him for over 2 years, they brought him over, he's ready to be a part of this organization, but who says he'd go to San Jose? There's not much stopping him from staying in Ufa if he prefers that - only the IIHF, and Russia's not likely to be eligible to play in IIHF tournaments anytime soon.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's a great video and also, I really don't think Mukhamaullin will be traded, because of the risks involved - if I'm San Jose, I'd need assurance that he wants to come and play for us. The Devils have been working with him for over 2 years, they brought him over, he's ready to be a part of this organization, but who says he'd go to San Jose? There's not much stopping him from staying in Ufa if he prefers that - only the IIHF, and Russia's not likely to be eligible to play in IIHF tournaments anytime soon.
He could have an easier time breaking the Sharks lineup and get more minutes faster than he would here. Also San Jose is a pretty nice area to live , I'm sure alot of players would want to play in that market

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He could have an easier time breaking the Sharks lineup and get more minutes faster than he would here. Also San Jose is a pretty nice area to live , I'm sure alot of players would want to play in that market

The fact that you call it a market - I know this is the standard now and I've surely done it too - misses what this is all about. I agree on your first point, playing time is nice, though at least in Shakir's public quotes he's fine with the AHL next season. Your second point, I don't assume that a person who grew up in central Russia has the same feelings about what is a good place to live as you or I.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Sharks minor league team is in San Jose and play in a new rink they built in the NHL team’s training facility.

It’s a nice set-up. The Sharks have drafted and signed a number of Russian players in recent seasons so they know what they’re doing there.

He does has some risk in the sense that the runway might not be the longest since his ELC is already only 2 years. I don’t see him not coming over though.

I’d kind of prefer to trade him because I just don’t see a competitive team putting a bunch of young defensemen in their line-up at once. Luke and Nemec are already a lot.

San Jose likely offers him more opportunity. They might not want him though, that’s certainly possible.

They might want Bahl or Okhotiuk in a package, since they could throw them right in their line-up.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thanks, Guys. My bloggo hobby doesn`t bring a lot of attention and I`m not waiting for it. It`s unrealistic. I just making it for Devils fans and like to share.

Thanks as always for putting that together for us. Mukhamadullin has come a long way. Hopefully he will be happy when he comes to North America and tries to make tht jump from thr AHL. He has Brylin on the NJ staff and Shara and hopefully he can connect with some of the other players to make the adjustment. I’m skeptical NJ lands Meier so I think Mukhamadullin sticks around.
Interesting expirience to watch him through years. His weaknesses were fixible for his tools, his mistakes were made against much better competition than most prospects can face.
I’m skeptical NJ lands Meier so I think Mukhamadullin sticks around.
I`m not skeptical about NJ lands Meier, so I think if SJ just like Shakir, they will ask for him, if not, they will not. They shouldn`t think and worry about his plans, they just like or like not him as a prospect. I don`t see risks in his case.
And I think Fitz likes the guy, but legit top line player doesn`t grow on trees, and Devils still have great left defensive pipe line.

I really like the player, I watched tonns of his game. But I will understand the move if it will happened.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
The Sharks minor league team is in San Jose and play in a new rink they built in the NHL team’s training facility.

It’s a nice set-up. The Sharks have drafted and signed a number of Russian players in recent seasons so they know what they’re doing there.

He does has some risk in the sense that the runway might not be the longest since his ELC is already only 2 years. I don’t see him not coming over though.

I’d kind of prefer to trade him because I just don’t see a competitive team putting a bunch of young defensemen in their line-up at once. Luke and Nemec are already a lot.

San Jose likely offers him more opportunity. They might not want him though, that’s certainly possible.

They might want Bahl or Okhotiuk in a package, since they could throw them right in their line-up.
That would be to our benefit and shortsighted on their part....I hope we keep Muk.....

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Thanks, Guys. My bloggo hobby doesn`t bring a lot of attention and I`m not waiting for it. It`s unrealistic. I just making it for Devils fans and like to share.

Interesting expirience to watch him through years. His weaknesses were fixible for his tools, his mistakes were made against much better competition than most prospects can face.

I`m not skeptical about NJ lands Meier, so I think if SJ just like Shakir, they will ask for him, if not, they will not. They shouldn`t think and worry about his plans, they just like or like not him as a prospect. I don`t see risks in his case.
And I think Fitz likes the guy, but legit top line player doesn`t grow on trees, and Devils still have great left defensive pipe line.

I really like the player, I watched tonns of his game. But I will understand the move if it will happened.
I know it's early but do you think Orlov being drafted also eases there minds on Muk? Thought he was great value in 4th round last year....

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I know it's early but do you think Orlov being drafted also eases there minds on Muk? Thought he was great value in 4th round last year....
May be. Vilen shows good hockey too.
It is difficult to rank, Shakir has serious experience and plays an important role in the second best league. The abundance of prospects may "somewhat devalue" the importance of a particular hockey player, but all of them - even Luke - are not defensemen in the NHL until they become them. A defenseman in the NHL is a very difficult job. I don't think Fitz will break up with Shakir, only if it's an important trade (such as Meier), and the presence of Orlov and Vilen, as it seems to me, should not affect it in a coordinated way.

Orlov playing on the adult level in his D+1 year. Injury spoiled his season, but now he is playing everywhere, his club is trying to give him every opportunity in МХЛ, ВХЛ and КХЛ. I will break down his game soon, but before I will make breakdown video and write analysis about Gritsyuk and Bardakov.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
May be. Vilen shows good hockey too.
It is difficult to rank, Shakir has serious experience and plays an important role in the second best league. The abundance of prospects may "somewhat devalue" the importance of a particular hockey player, but all of them - even Luke - are not defensemen in the NHL until they become them. A defenseman in the NHL is a very difficult job. I don't think Fitz will break up with Shakir, only if it's an important trade (such as Meier), and the presence of Orlov and Vilen, as it seems to me, should not affect it in a coordinated way.

Orlov playing on the adult level in his D+1 year. Injury spoiled his season, but now he is playing everywhere, his club is trying to give him every opportunity in МХЛ, ВХЛ and КХЛ. I will break down his game soon, but before I will make breakdown video and write analysis about Gritsyuk and Bardakov.
I have always suspected that Mukhamadullin was handpicked by Fitz since the scouting was all video at the time. I expect that is why NJ quickly offered him an ELC and has coordinated his return to thr KHL for two seasons. I expect once he arrives he will be given close attention and given every chance to succeed. If SJ doesn’t get him I think Shakir will eventually make an excellent third pair lefty to play with Casey.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I have always suspected that Mukhamadullin was handpicked by Fitz since the scouting was all video at the time. I expect that is why NJ quickly offered him an ELC and has coordinated his return to thr KHL for two seasons. I expect once he arrives he will be given close attention and given every chance to succeed. If SJ doesn’t get him I think Shakir will eventually make an excellent third pair lefty to play with Casey.
Interesting pair. And we should have Nemec and Luke. And Hamilton. Poor Siegenthaler. He should make another home town discount next time.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
I will make breakdown video and write analysis about…Bardakov.
F8B97E50-B2EF-4155-BD1E-FB41A59F1768.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad