Pre-Game Talk: Series Talk - Western Quarterfinal vs. St. Louis (Shaw suspended for game 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
1st goal Seabs was mainly to blame by getting beat to a puck and then screening Crow, and no forward decided to check Tank. No matter who his partner was, likely a goal (Q pet?)
2nd goal, Keith could have came at Tank, but decided to back off and screened his goalie in the process (Q pet?)
3rd goal Keith takes stupid penalty, TvR actually makes pretty good play on Backes, but bad bounce as it goes directly to Schwartz. (no ones fault in particular, wrong place wrong time)
4th goal, terrible pass from Panarin, should have put it deep, but TvR does take blame for what he did.

But yeah, completely on Q's pets. the whole game. because I am sure Ehrhoff or Gus would have been completely perfect out there and wouldn't have been the cause of any goals playing TvR or Rozis minutes.

Keep on keeping on.

The losses are on the palyers, specifically the top 6 guys who make all the money. 0 goals on a goalie between everyone except Anisimov. Absolutely unacceptable. Keep blaming Q though. Maybe if he was the one lacing the skates up and playing you could blame him.

If Rozy and TVR were playing halfway decently then you may have an argument. But St. Louis has scored 6 even strength goals, and TVR is a -5. Rozy's been a complete disaster. Odds are Ehrhoff and Gus would be better.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The Hawks have turned into the Blues.

Someone was on 670 this morning parroting this same idea that the Hawks are what the Blues used to be and vice versa. I think you need to win more than 3 playoff games in a series before we make that determination.

Also, Hawks are undersized, yada yada. Nothing about the fact that they have 4 guys on D that can't skate well. I will say that with the amount of interference creeping back into the game that size will become more of a factor again.

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
They apologized. Now, they can say they've put it behind them. They don't have to answer questions from reporters. It does tarnish their "family" reputation. And I think the club should fine Shaw. I don't think the NHL should get involved with fine or suspension.

I don't believe Shaw is a homophobe. He's is a guy who has grown up in a system that uses gay slurs (and girl slurs, for that matter) on a regular basis. Combine that with being a hothead and you'll get into trouble. Things are changing. This is a perfect reminder of how slow that change is. I wonder how the story may have been different if he'd called the guy a *****. Is a girl slur more acceptable than a gay slur?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Someone was on 670 this morning parroting this same idea that the Hawks are what the Blues used to be and vice versa. I think you need to win more than 3 playoff games in a series before we make that determination.

I'm strictly speaking in regards to the Hawks untimely penalties, blown leads and lack of goal scoring so far this series.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I'm a big Q supporter, but I don't think he's managed the lineup very well this series. He needs to improve and do a better job of getting his matchups for the Hawks stand a chance.

That said, Toews, Kane, Ladd, Hossa, Panarin, and Teuvo need to find the back of the net, and soon.

JohnnyZ

Dec 27, 2013
Chicago, IL
Can we talk about how awesome Duncan Keith has been? We might have won that 1st game had he been in the lineup. He's been that good.

It will be nice to see the Hawks play desperate for a change. They are rarely in that position. Should make for a high energy game 5. They should win that game.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm a big Q supporter, but I don't think he's managed the lineup very well this series. He needs to improve and do a better job of getting his matchups for the Hawks stand a chance.

That said, Toews, Kane, Ladd, Hossa, Panarin, and Teuvo need to find the back of the net, and soon.

1 goal from that group the entire series, and it was an EN for Panarin. 0 goals at even strength. Not going to cut it.

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
I want them to win. But if they don't win, I hope they go out early. If they have to go out earlBy, let them go out to the Blues. Then the Blues have their big chance. And if the Blues blow their big chance, then they have no right to whine next year when the Blackhawks blow them out of the water. I'm just thinking that this isn't the right combination of players to take them all the way through the finals. Even the best players on the team are inconsistent. But if one team can comeback from 3-1 deficit, it's the 'Hawks. I want them to win!

This is what goes around and around in my head pretty much full time for the past week.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I dont see how the forwards are getting criticized when they're absolutely perforating Elliott with shots every game.

This series comes down to the mistakes of the same Dmen that have been problematic all season (TVR, Seabrook), and another that everybody knew would crumble in face of playoff pace and consistent games played (Rozsi).

All of this has been exacerbated by a coach that seemingly chooses favorites by dart-board and prioritized said favorites over merit.

This series, close as every game has been, has been decided on egregious defensive errors from players and pairs everybody with functioning eyeballs and a baseline understanding of the numbers were concerned about.

Short of nonsense ideas that a forward can #heart, #will, #want the puck into the net, the forwards are doing their job. The coach and the D are coming up short.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I dont see how the forwards are getting criticized when they're absolutely perforating Elliott with shots every game.

This series comes down to the mistakes of the same Dmen that have been problematic all season (TVR, Seabrook), and another that everybody knew would crumble in face of playoff pace and consistent games played (Rozsi).

All of this has been exacerbated by a coach that seemingly chooses favorites by dart-board and prioritized said favorites over merit.

This series, close as every game has been, has been decided on egregious defensive errors from players and pairs everybody with functioning eyeballs and a baseline understanding of the numbers were concerned about.

Short of nonsense ideas that a forward can #heart, #will, #want the puck into the net, the forwards are doing their job. The coach and the D are coming up short.

Hawks have certainly pasted Elliott with shots. They aren't finishing their chances around the net. Keith has three goals that were seeing eye shots. Shaw has one that went off his back. None of them were high quality opportunities tho. Kane on the other hand has had what seems like 3-5 1v1s with Elliott and not finished. Frustrating to see. Feels very much like the PHX series where they also pasted Mike Smith with shots but had no finish. If the Hawks go down early they'll have the benefit of a long summer to recharge, but they also will have some glaring holes at wing that I'm not sure how they will address it. Their scoring depth will be even worse next year unless they can land Vesey, Caggiula, etc and Schmaltz is NHL ready. A lot of faith in some kids with no NHL experience. D should rectify itself with Pokka/Forsling coming.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Ladd-Toews-Kane (The nuclear option. Toews and Kane have had success with a physical presence to win board battles and crash the net a la Byfuglien, Bickell, Saad.)

Panarin-Anisimov-Teravainen (Similar to the Party Line, but reminds me slightly of last year's Sharp-Vermette-TT line. Panarin seems to be getting more aggressive with his shot selection, so moving another goal scorer in Kane up and replacing him with a playmaker in TT could help spark him and Anisimov. Hopefully gets Anisimov a little more involved, doesn't seem like he's had the puck much this series.)

Weise-Shaw-Hossa(This one I struggled with, seems to me a big issue the Hawks have had is finding a 3rd line that meshes, and I'm not sure this is a good answer. However, Shaw and Weise can win board battles and crash the net to screen Elliot and put in some rebounds, which hopefully puts Hossa in a situation where he can score while bum-slaying.)

Desjardins-Kruger-Fleischmann(Shutdown line, pure and simple. Take the D-zone start, get the puck, change. Could swap Panik and Desi I guess, neither has done a whole lot in my opinion.)

Thoughts?

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015

The shots with which they are perforating him are easily saveable. They need to crash the net, but nobody other than Shaw seems to be willing to do that.

I do agree that TVR and Rozsival have been making terrible, costly mistakes though. Hence why I advocate just sitting them next game. The Blues by now know those two and their tendencies...... put in Rundblad and Ehrhoff to throw things off a little.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Rozy and TVR were playing halfway decently then you may have an argument. But St. Louis has scored 6 even strength goals, and TVR is a -5. Rozy's been a complete disaster. Odds are Ehrhoff and Gus would be better.

If the forwards actually put the puck in the net, instead of right in the crest of the goalie, TvR and Rozy wouldn't be -5. Odds are that Ehrhoff and Gus would probably be in the same position as both because they are worse Dmen.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Shaw suspended for Game 5 due to excessive chirping, fined $5000 for showing the officials some character.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Someone's confident that we're going to lose tomorrow.

But, I can't disagree with the decision. If the NHL was ever in a situation where they wanted to send a message that slurs of that kind are not tolerable, suspending a player in an elimination game for his team was that moment.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Where's that preferential treatment when you need it? Still think a suspension is over the top, given what players have gotten away with saying before, but oh well.

Can't blame the league for sending a message I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad