Pre-Game Talk: Series Talk - Western Quarterfinal vs. St. Louis (Shaw suspended for game 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Well then. With Shaw out, what are the ideal forward lines?

Like I just said, nobody is willing to go to the net other than Shaw.

To win the game, somebody is going to have to step up and take on that role.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Earlier today, Toews said that this was a "teachable moment."

NHL agrees. Message sent across the league, and I can only hope that the league is consistent with this in the future rather than it being a one-off thing.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I dont see how the forwards are getting criticized when they're absolutely perforating Elliott with shots every game.

This series comes down to the mistakes of the same Dmen that have been problematic all season (TVR, Seabrook), and another that everybody knew would crumble in face of playoff pace and consistent games played (Rozsi).

All of this has been exacerbated by a coach that seemingly chooses favorites by dart-board and prioritized said favorites over merit.

This series, close as every game has been, has been decided on egregious defensive errors from players and pairs everybody with functioning eyeballs and a baseline understanding of the numbers were concerned about.

Short of nonsense ideas that a forward can #heart, #will, #want the puck into the net, the forwards are doing their job. The coach and the D are coming up short.

Its just my opinion, but the shots Elliot has seen are vastly easier than the ones crawford has seen. Even when the hawks have a high scoring chance they tend to throw it at his chest.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
I have been trying to avoid commenting directly on the Shaw incident but I will say that it is a little ridiculous to me that Shaw gets suspended for saying what he said, but Brouwer gets zero discipline for cross-checking Shaw in the face after Keith's goal.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Ladd-Toews-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Hossa
Flash-TT-Weise
Desi-Kruger-Panik
is what I would run Game 5. Probably doesn't really matter if the D isn't fixed, though.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Right decision. If it's his last game as a hawk, it sure is an ugly way to end things.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
tooo much...fine him.

have u seen the other 1 game suspensions and things they have let slide so far this playoffs? im sure that gets said a million times on the ice...of couse its wrong but so is a lot of other stuff going on. GET OUTA HERE.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Watching as a neutral observer, I am struck by the lack of effort from Patty Kane. Yes your defense has seen better days. But there is effort. Some guys are busting their *****, even if it's not showing on the scoresheet. Shaw for all his stupidity, he is trying. Keith, Panarin, Hossa (can't finish anymore but it's not the point) - busing their *****. But what the heck is Kane doing in this series?? Looks like he doesn't care 80% of the time. It's very disappointing. Tarasenko though, man what a beast.

Sounds like someone used to the Chris Kelly Adam McQuaid school of effort and grit ... Kane, a guy with more playoff points than Pavel Datsyuk, is "not trying" in the playoffs? Scintillating stuff.

member 151739

I'm glad he was suspended. He deserved it, and the league needed to make a point.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sounds like someone used to the Chris Kelly Adam McQuaid school of effort and grit ... Kane, a guy with more playoff points than Pavel Datsyuk, is "not trying" in the playoffs? Scintillating stuff.

Do be fair, regulars in this forum bust out the BS 'no effort' line every time a specific player fails to produce.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Come on, guys. Rally and take it to 6. Don't let last game be Shaw's last as a Blackhawk.

Shaw shouldn't have said what he did, but he also took so much abuse last game that was completely glossed over (Brouwer cross-check in his face, Steen nutshot).

It would be a much better story for them to rally together and then Shaw comes back and is the hero in game 6.... than to lose in 5 after this **** storm.

At least maybe the "pro-Hawks" conspiracy theorists can shut up.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Suspending a player who says a slur in a league where death threats are a constant? Why not.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I dont agree with this, people have been made way too sensitive by the media, by doing this you are just giving the word more power and magnifying things that are not necessarily meant as homophobic and are said only in the heat of the moment. It is what it is, this feels like the game 4 vs Detroit with Toews getting all angry, this will light fire under the boys, Shaw will be back for games 6 and 7 and will be the best player on the ice for both games. Let's get it done boys. It seems like everyone here has lost hope but I truly believe we will win this series and we will just watch.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Shaw is an idiot but suspending him was too excessive. Fine him no problem, but suspension is dumb for words in the heat of the moment. Thing is, if they are words directed at certain groups its a major issue while if its directed at other groups it wouldn't be a suspension. Not condoning what he did, its not acceptable in todays world. Its just that its looked at differently depending on who the slur is offensive to.

And I am not saying this because he is a Hawk, if it was Backes doing it I would have said the same thing.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This is the turning moment, it's only the blue ffs, shut down Terasenko and series over, just have a plan and shut him down.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I get the fine and suspension. It's 2016, the NHL is a business with a brand to promote so they can't have a guy caught on camera saying that.

Shaw shouldn't have said it, but I don't think he's a homophobic monster. Hopefully that wasn't his last game as a Blackhawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Suspension is too much, but NHL probably has to do it so this will go away as quickly as possible.

I've no doubt that far worse was said - and heard by the refs - in that game alone.

Rallying point.

#freeshaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad